OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They always find ways to rework the cap. Bud will be gone so thats why adding Watt is a possibility.

As for our offense, maybe Ben stays another year. Right now he is going to cost us 40mil next season. If by the end of the season he and the team feel like he has more left in the tank than just 1 more season then maybe we extend his deal another year and restructure it so we can cut that in half. I am sure if this is done(extending him.another year) then that 3rd year he will take a huge paycut. That would be the main reason for us to do that.

That allows us to pay Watt, Minkah and others that are due big raises.

If we dont keep Ben, there is plenty of QBs we could add by then. We also dont know if Rudolph can be that guy ...its 2 years from now. He wasnt that bad last year considering what he had to deal with all year and that was with no experience and our offense not having many weapons around him. So in a few years he would have way more experience and our Offense will already be much better

This 2 year window for the Steelers that alot talk about is overblown. Yeah its where we are at our best right now. But we have seen this alot. We have a ton of good young players that will help keep us competitive. We already know DJ and Claypool will give us at least 2 good WRs(as well as James Washington) if we lose Juju. We will prob have drafted another RB by then. So we just need to draft OL in round 1 this year and early the next to make sure they dont drop off completely in a few seasons.

As for the defense, we know theyll still have Watt, Bush, Fitz, and Heyward/Tuitt. Nelson will still be under contract as one CB, Haden will prob be gone. Hilton prob gone. Sutton should.be able to replace Hilton. And we have Justin Layne as another CB. We will be drafting another. There is Alex Highsmith who could/should be a decent enough starter.

Point is we are spread out with talent on both sides of the ball that have youth plus vet to the point we shouldnt see what happened in the 2010's. When we kept our D together too long and kept missing on their replacements. Not just the LBs in the first round to not replace what Farrior, Porter, Harrison, etc brought. but not being able to replace the impact Ike and Polamalu had in the secondary. All we had was Tuitt and Heyward the years that our offense was great. That wont be the case after these two years are up. The situation we will be facing is QB. And with there being so many better QBs throughout the league now compared to the past...i think we should.be fine in finding someone good enough. Back then, there were only a handful of franchise QBs. Now at least half of the league has found a franchise QB.

All of that is fine. Still doesn't change the Pittsburgh isn't one of the first places a 'I want to win' player with his absolute pick of destinations will consider. Doesn't mean it's one of the last either, rather than the Steelers are in that group a tier below the top tier.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
All of that is fine. Still doesn't change the Pittsburgh isn't one of the first places a 'I want to win' player with his absolute pick of destinations will consider. Doesn't mean it's one of the last either, rather than the Steelers are in that group a tier below the top tier.

Maybe not to a typical player, Im just adding in the Watt factor. Playing with both of his brothers. Something he said he would like to do. That would be the main reason of course. Them being a contender makes it an easier decision.

But we will see the situation we are in by then. Where our main needs will be.

The article I read talked about Watt requesting a trade out of Houston and Pitt being the team to go to. But Im talking about him just leaving thru FA in 2 years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe not to a typical player, Im just adding in the Watt factor. Playing with both of his brothers. Something he said he would like to do. That would be the main reason of course. Them being a contender makes it an easier decision.

Hey, I get what you're saying. I'm just more skeptical . . .

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hey, I get what you're saying. I'm just more skeptical . . .

I understand. Tho alot of other teams will have tough decisions to make as well a few years from now. Ravens wont be able to surround Lamar Jackson with as much talent when they have to give him +40 mil . They have to reup Ronnie Stanley and other OL this offseason. Players on D as well. So can they get lucky like the Cheifs did and win it all before they had to pay Mahomes? Rams got worse as soon as they had to pay Goff.

Chiefs are still a good team but one that will continue to have to lose players due to cap. Since Mahomes deal hasnt kicked in yet.

Same goes for rest of league of course. We have to look at every team, not just Pitt. And I like Colbert over most honestly

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're arguing with me 'why don't I think the Steelers will be seen as in the top tier of winning destinations in two years', and I'm telling you basically because they're not now. It's subjective. What circumstances will look like in two years is subjective. You disagree. That's fine. No need to continue to argue something this subjective when 'agree to disagree' will suffice.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not blocking TJ on 1st is an interesting strategy from Houston.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Steelers D needs to blitz all day. Watson has the 2nd lowest QBR in football against the blitz, and the Steelers are a much better coverage team when they don't lay back.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Steelers D needs to blitz all day. Watson has the 2nd lowest QBR in football against the blitz, and the Steelers are a much better coverage team when they don't lay back.

you know I think Haden is done, so I concur...I’d play Sutton over Haden, that’s how much I think he can’t play anymore without holding

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ben almost had an int there...telegraphed that throw...thanks Fichtner...

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
zisvj40nmlhpbc63gw4i.jpg

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad