OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Mike Tomlin = Groundhog Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
There’s certainly things to like so far, and there’s certainly things to be concerned about so far, but the one constant remains, poor coaching.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've been saying Steelers will regret not extending Bud. The tag was fully guaranteed for this year so he got like 16 mill. I think almost doubling it would have got Bud long term like 30-40 mill gtd.

No way the Steelers sign him long term after. They wasted all that gtd money this year. Ola and Highsmith have been getting reps in game. Going to pay Watt and hope for the best.

The Steelers weren't going to be able to sign him long term anyway, not with Watt's deal coming.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The Steelers weren't going to be able to sign him long term anyway, not with Watt's deal coming.

I think they could have afforded Bud and Watt. But not Juju, Watt, and Bud.

Its probably not smart to tie up all that money on the edge. Just have to enjoy it this year then hope Ola is ready next.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think they could have afforded Bud and Watt. But not Juju, Watt, and Bud.

Its probably not smart to tie up all that money on the edge. Just have to enjoy it this year then hope Ola is ready next.

I don't think it's about Juju. I think it's about the call they made with Heyward.

I don't think they could've afforded Heyward, Bud, and Watt.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think it's about Juju. I think it's about the call they made with Heyward.

They are going to let Juju walk next season with Dupree and likely have replacements for them groomed this season.

I really do marvel at the talent this team finds, despite never having top picks... then I feel sick thinking about who is coaching the talent.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

And Tuitt. And both Nelson/Haden getting over 13 mil. Pouncey, DeCastro over 10 mil. We have plenty of players who are getting paid close to 10 or over 10 mil. But the biggest issue is BB. Him signing that deal hurt us. Not so much this season but 40mil against the cap next year.

We could keep Juju for around 13 mil. If so I would. We have to remember that Ben is done soon so the years of us continuing to replace WRs should be put on hold for now. Juju can do it all. Hes a type you want to keep. Id try to keep all 4 of them as long as possible. And the more their numbers are spread out the less theyll make on their next contract anyway. Keep all 4 WRs since we have no clue what will happen with the RBs , the Oline, or QB.

As for OLB, there are plenty that we could sign who are at least better(more experienced) than Ola and Highsmith. Id rather sign someone on a 2 or so year deal to go with Watt than sticking a 2nd year in Highsmith next to him. But we will see how he progresses throughout the season.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Last time the Steelers had a game where they didn't turn the ball over was Week 10 of the 2018 season. That was the Thursday night game where they clown pounded Carolina 52-21.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
And Tuitt. And both Nelson/Haden getting over 13 mil. Pouncey, DeCastro over 10 mil. We have plenty of players who are getting paid close to 10 or over 10 mil. But the biggest issue is BB. Him signing that deal hurt us. Not so much this season but 40mil against the cap next year.

We could keep Juju for around 13 mil. If so I would. We have to remember that Ben is done soon so the years of us continuing to replace WRs should be put on hold for now. Juju can do it all. Hes a type you want to keep. Id try to keep all 4 of them as long as possible. And the more their numbers are spread out the less theyll make on their next contract anyway. Keep all 4 WRs since we have no clue what will happen with the RBs , the Oline, or QB.

As for OLB, there are plenty that we could sign who are at least better(more experienced) than Ola and Highsmith. Id rather sign someone on a 2 or so year deal to go with Watt than sticking a 2nd year in Highsmith next to him. But we will see how he progresses throughout the season.
Which is why I could see them considering a decastro deal for a top 10 pick saves them 9 million. Ben should sign an 1 year extension for no new money and pouncy are retiring together. The new tv deal kicks in by 22 cap will go up. Washington is flipped for draft picks and Juju gets Kupp contract

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We’d get a compensatory pick for JuJu if he signed elsewhere this offseason, correct?

NFL compensatory formula is based around who you lose and who you sign, mix in the value of the deals and then it’s still a big guess.

Steelers generally know how to game the system so they would likely work it to get a third rounder probably.

Reactions: KIRK and That1Kid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The funny thing with the Steelers is that they are always in cap hell. We have went from old to young...same cap hell.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The funny thing with the Steelers is that they are always in cap hell. We have went from old to young...same cap hell.
Next year everyone will be cause the cap went done. Pretty much anyone with a franchise QB has these issues it’s not as bad as Nola

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
over/under on the number of times we’re going to hear “the Watts are brothers” at the game tomorrow? I’m muting the telecast so I can avoid more of the drab media tales about them in their parents’ basement...

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean it is pretty cool to have 3 kids in the NFL, two of which have been some of the best at their positions.

on the salary cap. I think the NFL and NFLPA will come up with something to help stop any kind of drastic reduction for next year, TBH.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
speaking of that, I can see JJ Watt coming to Pitt when his contract is up in 2 seasons. He has mentioned how frustrated he is in Houston and how bad he wants to win. Not to mention the obvious connection.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
over/under on the number of times we’re going to hear “the Watts are brothers” at the game tomorrow? I’m muting the telecast so I can avoid more of the drab media tales about them in their parents’ basement...

If only their father had a sod farm in Ontario. . . . .

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
speaking of that, I can see JJ Watt coming to Pitt when his contract is up in 2 seasons. He has mentioned how frustrated he is in Houston and how bad he wants to win. Not to mention the obvious connection.

I can see JJ Watt moving on from Houston.

I can see JJ Watt enjoying playing with his brother.

I can't see the money working out . . . and I'm not sure in 2 seasons Pittsburgh will be one of the first places someone prioritizing winning will run to go.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I can see JJ Watt moving on from Houston.

I can see JJ Watt enjoying playing with his brother.

I can't see the money working out . . . and I'm not sure in 2 seasons Pittsburgh will be one of the first places someone prioritizing winning will run to go.

They always find ways to rework the cap. Bud will be gone so thats why adding Watt is a possibility.

As for our offense, maybe Ben stays another year. Right now he is going to cost us 40mil next season. If by the end of the season he and the team feel like he has more left in the tank than just 1 more season then maybe we extend his deal another year and restructure it so we can cut that in half. I am sure if this is done(extending him.another year) then that 3rd year he will take a huge paycut. That would be the main reason for us to do that.

That allows us to pay Watt, Minkah and others that are due big raises.

If we dont keep Ben, there is plenty of QBs we could add by then. We also dont know if Rudolph can be that guy ...its 2 years from now. He wasnt that bad last year considering what he had to deal with all year and that was with no experience and our offense not having many weapons around him. So in a few years he would have way more experience and our Offense will already be much better

This 2 year window for the Steelers that alot talk about is overblown. Yeah its where we are at our best right now. But we have seen this alot. We have a ton of good young players that will help keep us competitive. We already know DJ and Claypool will give us at least 2 good WRs(as well as James Washington) if we lose Juju. We will prob have drafted another RB by then. So we just need to draft OL in round 1 this year and early the next to make sure they dont drop off completely in a few seasons.

As for the defense, we know theyll still have Watt, Bush, Fitz, and Heyward/Tuitt. Nelson will still be under contract as one CB, Haden will prob be gone. Hilton prob gone. Sutton should.be able to replace Hilton. And we have Justin Layne as another CB. We will be drafting another. There is Alex Highsmith who could/should be a decent enough starter.

Point is we are spread out with talent on both sides of the ball that have youth plus vet to the point we shouldnt see what happened in the 2010's. When we kept our D together too long and kept missing on their replacements. Not just the LBs in the first round to not replace what Farrior, Porter, Harrison, etc brought. but not being able to replace the impact Ike and Polamalu had in the secondary. All we had was Tuitt and Heyward the years that our offense was great. That wont be the case after these two years are up. The situation we will be facing is QB. And with there being so many better QBs throughout the league now compared to the past...i think we should.be fine in finding someone good enough. Back then, there were only a handful of franchise QBs. Now at least half of the league has found a franchise QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->