OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Its the offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
12 INTs in his last 10 playoff games. 9 in his last 6.

"Mid-late career Ben was great, what are these whiners complaining about"

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
One of the NFL.com guys has a three-round mock and has us trading up to #10 to take Howell…what?
Every year I get into the draft a little bit and then I read 1 too many mock drafts from some jabroni talking out their ass on what 32 teams are going to do. I've reached that point this year.

Reactions: JTG and Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I played TE in middle school and was blown away by Eric Green. He is the reason I started wearing 86. I wore 86 through my adult flag football and hockey leagues. Most thought it was in homage to Hines Ward and people would give me a funny look when I said it was Eric Green bc they don't remember him.

He was a freak of nature - 6’5 285.

Looked like a T playing TE.

A shame the nose candy derailed his career.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
He was a freak of nature - 6’5 285.

Looked like a T playing TE.

A shame the nose candy derailed his career.

The new breed of TE - as he was dubbed - in more ways than one, I guess.

But hey - the Freiermuth pick seems to have worked out well so far. We just need an offense that can exploit the middle of the field beyond the defensive line.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Underperformance in the playoffs.

2015 against BAL. 2016. 2017 against the Pats. 2018 he was better against Jacksonville but couldn't get it done until we were way down already.

He led the league in INTs in 2018 then got a raise and extension. Of course he did. Hurt in 2019. Team-killing turnovers in the PO game in 2020, then put up a bunch of points against a soft defense.

Meanwhile he always resisted a real succession plan because he wanted to be Brady except without any of the work ethic. Ben is lazy. The reality of Rudolph is it was the closest the team could get to a real plan while maintaining a relationship with Ben. It won't work, but now that Ben is out of the picture I think there will be a clearer plan.

Thanks for your response. I guess that's what I'm trying to understand.

Basically, for you it's 1) poor playoff performance and 2) work ethic

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Thanks for your response. I guess that's what I'm trying to understand.

Basically, for you it's 1) poor playoff performance and 2) work ethic

Sure. Yes work ethic at his salary. And the playoff performances have been poor, as he has typically just compiled stats when we are way down. Look at the totality of the back half of his career and it is mediocre, with some great regular seasons namely 2014.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
From the Dulac Chat:
2/9/22 Guest: With outside hires coming up for the new offensive line and receivers position coaches, any indication that AJRII strongly suggested that if Matt Canada was going to stay there had to be some changes with the offensive coaching staff and that given the abysmal performance by the offense the preference to promote internally to fill coaching vacancies needed to change?

Gerry Dulac: Either that or some of those coaches didn't want to stick around if certain other coaches weren't let go.
colin witte: if you were to say what are the chances mike munchak comes back as o line coach? and if not him, do you have any other names? Do munchak and canada run the same run system?

Gerry Dulac: The chances of Munchak coming back might be more slim than Ben coming back.​

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
From the Dulac Chat:
2/9/22 Guest: With outside hires coming up for the new offensive line and receivers position coaches, any indication that AJRII strongly suggested that if Matt Canada was going to stay there had to be some changes with the offensive coaching staff and that given the abysmal performance by the offense the preference to promote internally to fill coaching vacancies needed to change?

Gerry Dulac: Either that or some of those coaches didn't want to stick around if certain other coaches weren't let go.
colin witte: if you were to say what are the chances mike munchak comes back as o line coach? and if not him, do you have any other names? Do munchak and canada run the same run system?

Gerry Dulac: The chances of Munchak coming back might be more slim than Ben coming back.​
Yeah.l I don’t think he coaches this year and just stays in Denver with his family

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not in public it’s ok in the locker room. However you have to as the QB make sure your crap doesn’t stink.

Oh, so what Ben said isn't worse than what Peyton said?

Idiot Kicker:

“Let's just say we had some problems in protection. I'll give Pittsburgh credit for the blitzes and their rush. Those guys rushed. But we did have some protection problems.”
Manning Loses Blame Game Too

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I probably shouldn't derail the Sid thread so let's talk about Ben.

I posed the question: what has Ben done the past 10 seasons (after the allegations) that make Steeler fans and the media dislike him so much?

I don’t think you can just look at the past ten years when talking about people’s dislike of Ben. Between the allegations and him being a pretty massive asshole, he just wasn’t an easy guy to root for.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Two wrongs don't make a right........

That wasn't my argument.

My premise is that QB X shouldn't get a pass on his behavior when it's at minimum worse than QB Y's. Yet QB X is lauded as a fantastic teammate and face of a league.

And QB X has his own skeletons when it comes to being in his 20's with the opposite sex.

I'm just asking people to utilize critical thinking skills beyond "well the media says this, so I should too"

Reactions: lastcupever75

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don’t think you can just look at the past ten years when talking about people’s dislike of Ben. Between the allegations and him being a pretty massive asshole, he just wasn’t an easy guy to root for.

So people can't change and we shouldn't take altered behavior into account?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Late career Ben does benefit from his alternatives being:

A guy who’s most memorable thing he’ll ever do in the NFL is getting hit in the head with his own helmet

and

A Duck

Reactions: JTG

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The new breed of TE - as he was dubbed - in more ways than one, I guess.

But hey - the Freiermuth pick seems to have worked out well so far. We just need an offense that can exploit the middle of the field beyond the defensive line.

Don’t forget they traded away their first to let Dallas get Emmitt Smith, then took Green with Dallas’ pick.

What can you do?

Reactions: Al Smith

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Late career Ben does benefit from his alternatives being:

A guy who’s most memorable thing he’ll ever do in the NFL is getting hit in the head with his own helmet

and

A Duck

Late career Ben basically forced the organization's hand to make those his alternatives. Oh well.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Sure people can change and if he was just an asshole then fine. But is it really shocking to you people don’t like him after what he was accused of?

So why is Manning's past whitewashed, yet Ben's isn't?
Peyton Manning faces new issue after Super Bowl

I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you understand the facts alone don't measure up where 1 person is loved and another is hated.
And if you want to go further with this, I'll give you 1 Brett Favre. Again everyone lauds Brett and forgets his past. Why isn't Ben's past given the same grace?

Reactions: lastcupever75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad