The Pittsburgher Thread: IN THE HUNT AT 3-4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It’s funny because the big arm guys taken before him all look like ****.

His arm isn’t the issue, the game slowing down for him is the issue.

Not a soul alive knows what he is right now.

He could be a career backup or a quality starter.

He’s playing ultra safe right now and still making big plays at the perfect time.

I’ll keep taking that over the big arm first rounders from his class who look like busts so far.

Most of that AB money has been spent already though.

As usual agree.

As for that AB money tho, you're right about that but we willl clear another 20mil by cutting Moncrief(already did) , Barron, and Chick. All 3 contracts were set up for that. Front loaded year 1 with huge dead cap. But opposite for year 2. For example Barron will make 8mil next year(1.5mil dead cap), Chick will make 6mil(1 mil dead cap), and Moncrief was gonna make 6(1mil dead cap). Guessing plan all along was to move them if we had the others succeed. Which is the case.

We can go for it in 2020 but 2021 will be rough. Thats where it gets into 2017 draft(2nd round and on, so Juju and Conner..with Watt getting his 5th year option).

Id go for it next year. Especially if Ben comes back and is himself. But again...we are only halfway thru the year. We also dont know if our dreams will come tru or not anyway and Dan Snyder saves us all...allowing a new coach to enter while adding more top talentm. Too good to be true so I wont believe it til I see it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As usual agree.

As for that AB money tho, you're right about that but we willl clear another 20mil by cutting Moncrief(already did) , Barron, and Chick. All 3 contracts were set up for that. Front loaded year 1 with huge dead cap. But opposite for year 2. For example Barron will make 8mil next year(1.5mil dead cap), Chick will make 6mil(1 mil dead cap), and Moncrief was gonna make 6(1mil dead cap). Guessing plan all along was to move them if we had the others succeed. Which is the case.

We can go for it in 2020 but 2021 will be rough. Thats where it gets into 2017 draft(2nd round and on, so Juju and Conner..with Watt getting his 5th year option).

Id go for it next year. Especially if Ben comes back and is himself. But again...we are only halfway thru the year. We also dont know if our dreams will come tru or not anyway and Dan Snyder saves us all...allowing a new coach to enter while adding more top talentm. Too good to be true so I wont believe it til I see it.

You can always bend the cap how you like, Steelers have been doing it for years.

Just pointing out we can’t spend the AB money like it’s suddenly freed up in April.

Steelers already spent it last March.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
What's the deal with the strong safety Edmunds? is he any good? I never notice him doing anything positive. Is Sean Davis coming back this year? he could be better

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
What's the deal with the strong safety Edmunds? is he any good? I never notice him doing anything positive. Is Sean Davis coming back this year? he could be better
not noticing a strong safety is usually good. certainly noticed sean davis a lot

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Dupree already with career high 6 sacks and 2 FF in only 8 games. Damn. This gonna be a Jason Worilds situaiton all over again(diff circumstances but u know what I mean...looked like busts then finally pan out but we lose them).

LBs are getting paid big time money now. So even a franchise will cost alot but would be worth it IF we dont find his replacement or wait til the draft pick is ready. Keeping Bud and Watt together next year would be great for the D. Instead of more change. I hope they talk to him and can convince to stay for a reasonable 4 year deal. Don't know about anyone else but Im sick of them drafting LBs. We now need to focus more on offense. Oline/Dline. And A big WR (Justin Jefferson LSU 6'4, Collin Johnson Texas 6'6 , etc) or TE(if The Mizz TE falls to us in 2nd).

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I don’t give a shit what any other “big arm” QB is looking like on any other team. 9 times out of 10 shit teams draft QBs high on the top 10 and then ruin them because they are a shit team. They throw them behind a shitty offensive line and it ruins them because they start getting hit and sacked and the pocket collapses and they get happy feet and panic and all of their attributes get ruined because of it.

But the fact still remains that they DO have bigger arms or more physical attributes and talent than Rudolph. That doesn’t mean that Mason is a bust at all, just the fact that he doesn’t have those tools and that affected his draft position. He has Alex Smith type physical talent but not the mental prowess yet. There is a reason that the coaching staff isn’t letting him uncork it down the field because his deep balls float too much. I’ve seen him throw exactly ONE intermediate ball that had any sort of zip on it whatsoever and he simply cannot throw a frozen rope 40+ yards doesn’t he field.

SO, if they want to restructure the offense to cater to who and what Mason is, that’s fine, but they must, must, must get the WRs and TEs involved by scheming them open and hitting guys in stride to pick up chunks of yardage. And if they can get a rhythm going with that, it could open up some guys wide open down the field for Mason to float balls to.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Gotta eat crow, Metcalf looks pretty damn legit.

A lot of crow to go around

giphy.gif

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
You can always bend the cap how you like, Steelers have been doing it for years.

Just pointing out we can’t spend the AB money like it’s suddenly freed up in April.

Steelers already spent it last March.

I see. And yes, cap has Never been an issue for them. Even with Bell and Brown screwing em over with dead cap.

Tho signing Ben for 30+mil and he gets this injury? Horrible timing with him needing an extension. Haden extension and gets worse? Gotta be a lil careful going forward. They'd take those back if they could. Ben at less than 30. Then again, this is all so far away still but who knows whats in store for us(kinda reminds me of Pens) next year. As of now Ben is my starter no question but if we get any word that he isn't the same and Mason does keep improving? If a team like the Bears(complete everywhere but Qb) comes calling....you have to listen. Not saying id do that now..but we dont know ....come next May..June. If we get a player(who adds to our team immediately, like that DL or OLB if we lose Bud) and a 2nd round offer? Or something like that then things get interesting. While we would have a 20mil dead cap like AB did....still save 10mil(following year is where we have that out...20mil in savings) and add players/picks.

Just giving an example of a situation we havent had to deal with over the years and how important these decisions are the next few seasons. Which is another reason I didn't just give up on the season, if a team is out of the playoff race I dont believe you get the best idea of which players that are future impact types. Staying in the race keeps testing these guys each week. And some live up to it and become something in this league...others dont. We need to find that out this season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Never trust a player putting up unusually good numbers in a contract year. Dupree walks

Usually would agree. But in his case I think it just took that long to actually learn the D lol. Hes not the brightest. But now that he has...I don't see him not giving the same efffort when paid.

He didnt even know he was getting 9mil this year and the 5th year option lol. Should tell you alll you need to know. He wasn't even thinking about money. Was more pissed about lack of respect on social media( not that we need that either but if it keeps him going). That tackle from behind on Brissett is something nobody but Bud would have got for a loss.

I see him as an old-school LB that we had taking 3-4 years before really making an impact. Already gonna lose Hargrave for sure. Tuitt coming back from injury. Heyward year older. I'd rather keep Watt and Dupree together. We are also dumping Chick and Barron. So gonna have to draft a OLB anyway but rather him be a back up, having that luxury instead of being forced to start

We do have the cap for next season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
A lot of crow to go around

giphy.gif

You haven't touched yours yet. Enough on your table to hand out to all of the Metcalf haters. Or in other words those who found it weird to obsess over Him and DJ. When DJ was taken after and has done well anyway

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pats "best in history" D will take a step back tonight.

When you watch this, remember how good our D did against them(the best of any other team)

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the ravens are like the only team that consistently gives the pats problems and they still needed ot to beat the steelers

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ravens are going to win this...one of those games you hope both teams lose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad