GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread -- If this is it.... Please let me knooooooowwww

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
What about the idea of trading down and taking a quarterback?

I have seen several projections having Trask, or even Jones, in the second round.

Trade down, get extra picks, and pick up a developmental quarterback to boot.

Yeah, we tried that with Mason Jagoff and we've seen how that's gone. Pass.

I know a lot of people hate MM, but he is a Big Ben stan, and I think he makes a really good point here:

Vance, Pouncey, and Coach Randy were some of his closest friends in the organization.

I think Ben is a big enough boy to play one year of football for 42 million without his friends.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Even if you already had $200m in the bank?
I’d hang on as long as someone wanted to pay me a boat load of money. He’ll be retired at 40 when most of us have to go to 60+. So putting another year in for some bank, even if you suck, is worth it, IMO.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
What about the idea of trading down and taking a quarterback?

I have seen several projections having Trask, or even Jones, in the second round.

Trade down, get extra picks, and pick up a developmental quarterback to boot.
Tons of teams need a QB. Jax, Indy, NE, Carolina, Chicago, DC, NO. If many of them have a 1st round grade on Trask and Jones I wouldn't be surprised if there are 6 QB's taken in the first round.

If the Steelers are high on Jones or Trask then may as well grab him, but considering we signed Haskins yesterday I doubt they're drafting a QB this year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My fear is that the Steelers will delude themselves into believing that they are better than they actually are.

The Steelers have the hardest schedule in the NFL, Cap issues which will cause Cap casualties making the team weaker than this past year (when they had one of the easiest schedules in the NFL), and has so many holes that it will be impossible to fill all of them in the draft.

My major fear is that the Steelers pull a Pirates of the past few years and try to duct tape their way to a mediocre record. Much better to see the writing on the wall and start rebuilding.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s comical that it took Cleveland almost three seasons to fire Hue Jackson when his record was 3-36-1. The clown couldn’t even win 10% of his games. He went 1-15 and then 0-16 but was still brought back for a third season!

I wonder how he lasted as long as he did?

313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3.gif

Why would you even bother interviewing such a joke? I’d rather have crap Canada as OC than Hugh effing Jackson.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
It’s comical that it took Cleveland almost three seasons to fire Hue Jackson when his record was 3-36-1. The clown couldn’t even win 10% of his games. He went 1-15 and then 0-16 but was still brought back for a third season!

I wonder how he lasted as long as he did?

313fed5d8fdd8b0845e19555a1da65c3.gif

Why would you even bother interviewing such a joke? I’d rather have crap Canada as OC than Hugh effing Jackson.
Jackson was a solid OC.

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
They need to move on from Ben. They will not make the playoffs with him in 2021 anyway. This team needs to desperately dump salary and figure out if Rudolph is a serviceable starter. I don't think the Steelers will be a serious player for Watson. They will look at a reclamation project like Darnold, if he's available, maybe Mariota (gag)....a capable back-up/borderline starter that is affordable. Haskins seems to simply be a favor to the sports agent company that reps him and Tomlin, and a camp arm. He'll never cut it in the NFL. Time to blow it up, this was their last gasp with #7 and now it's time to start looking to the future.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You get what you pay for: The Steelers have the NFL’s lowest coaching payroll and one of the league’s smallest staffs (19 coaches). How often do Tomlin’s assistants get interviewed for better jobs? (Bruce Arians had to “retire.”)

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

I am not a fan of Rooney. I have several criticisms of him.

That said, throwing the charge of cheapness at him is wrong.

Reactions: That1Kid

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am not a fan of Rooney. I have several criticisms of him.

That said, throwing the charge of cheapness at him is wrong.
When does he ever fire a coach under contract? His idea of firing someone is not renewing his contract.

Why do we have the least amount of coaches in the league? Why haven’t we brought in a respectable coach in years?

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
My guess is Tomlin hires mediocre talent for his own job security. It’s a classic tactic by narcissistic managerial types

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When does he ever fire a coach under contract? His idea of firing someone is not renewing his contract.

Why do we have the least amount of coaches in the league? Why haven’t we brought in a respectable coach in years?

Again, do not corner me into defending Rooney. He has good, and some less than good.

He is very much in the spotlight, with rules named after him, etc. I am not a fan of how much he focuses on things like being Ambassador to Ireland, and becoming political to get it.

As far as ownership decisions, he takes continuity in coaching, a good thing for the most part, too far. Players who are talented get away with way too much for too long, lesser talents are made examples of. It sends mixed messages. Just a few examples, but there are others. I would rather he would just be quietly focusing on the team.

But as for your charge against him, being cheap is not a complaint that makes any sense.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

You act like we’re the Bengals... We’re not a cheap team. Such a ridiculous suggestion.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You act like we’re the Bengals... We’re not a cheap team. Such a ridiculous suggestion.
Look at our assistant coaches. Half of them seem like they should live in the middle of a swamp near the bayou. Gosh durrnnnitt.

Why wouldn’t you load up your coaching staff if you weren’t a cheap SOB?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Again, do not corner me into defending Rooney. He has good, and some less than good.

He is very much in the spotlight, with rules named after him, etc. I am not a fan of how much he focuses on things like being Ambassador to Ireland, and becoming political to get it.

As far as ownership decisions, he takes continuity in coaching, a good thing for the most part, too far. Players who are talented get away with way too much for too long, lesser talents are made examples of. It sends mixed messages. Just a few examples, but there are others. I would rather he would just be quietly focusing on the team.

But as for your charge against him, being cheap is not a complaint that makes any sense.
Wasn’t Dan Rooney the ambassador? I don’t think anyone would nominate Art for that...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Look at our assistant coaches. Half of them seem like they should live in the middle of a swamp near the bayou. Gosh durrnnnitt.

Why wouldn’t you load up your coaching staff if you weren’t a cheap SOB?

Worrying about the size of their coaching staff is pretty silly bro.

The overwhelmingly main issue there is the head coach, not the fact they don’t “load” up.

They could have 199 coaches and it wouldn’t matter if the incompetence at the top of the tree remained.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Worrying about the size of their coaching staff is pretty silly bro.

The overwhelmingly main issue there is the head coach, not the fact they don’t “load” up.

They could have 199 coaches and it wouldn’t matter if the incompetence at the top of the tree remained.
Oh I agree that Tomlin is the main problem, but I didn’t realize we have the smallest coaching staff in the league. The Steelers coaching tree is basically a stump at this point.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

I’m confused. That Rooney is dead. Unless his kid became an ambassador now?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I mixed them up. That is what happens when you grow old. Events from long ago seem like yesterday.

Eliminate the one complaint, the others remain.
Technically, you said the there are rules named after him, but Dan Rooney also was the one that established the Rooney rule in 2003, not Art.

“He is very much in the spotlight, with rules named after him, etc. I am not a fan of how much he focuses on things like being Ambassador to Ireland, and becoming political to get it.”

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad