OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I don't think Tomlin's juding of character matters.....he doesn't give a ****. Many of his faults Cowher suffered from as well, especially from the SB loss vs Dallas until we finally got #5. But Cowher didn't run a **** locker room. That much was and is evident.

It kind of matters when they reach in the 1st for a guy because he's "high character" and he might miss some training camp. They gave Cortez Allen a 24 million dollar contract because Tomlin liked him. He was making like 7 million to sit on the bench at one point. That could have been used on a player to improve the team. He's severely biased towards "high character" players and ones from VA like him. That's why they gave Mike Vick a chance and pissed off all the dog owners. Who was horrible by the way and not worth the PR nightmare. If they had a real back-up that year, they might have actually made the playoffs. If they had a real 3rd string RB instead of Toussaint because Tomlin likes him and thinks he will never be needed with Bell and Williams. They would have actually beat the Broncos and probably won the Super Bowl. They were driving to take the lead late in the 4th without Brown and Bell. Broncos won the Super Bowl that year so you like to think Steelers win that will Brown and Bell potentially coming back. Oh yeah, Cortez Allen was the 4th highest paid player on that roster that year and didn't play in that game. It kind of matters.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Welp. Gurley's deal just sealed the Steelers Vs Bell story as if it wasnt already.

No way we give him 15 mil with 45+mil guaranteed.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Gurley is 23, Bell is 26. He should have taken the 5 years. He's not going to get that kind of money at 27.
Especially if he gets hurt again. He needs to hope for a full, highly productive season and playoff success to get that Gurley contract.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So Eli is back. Gotta figure the WR corps will be:

AB
JuJu
Washington
Rogers
Hunter
6th WR possibly?

I'll tell you what, 4 WR's sets I'd love to see Hunter and Washington working outside, stretching the field while AB and JuJu just terrorize the middle.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
So Eli is back. Gotta figure the WR corps will be:

AB
JuJu
Washington
Rogers
Hunter
6th WR possibly?

I'll tell you what, 4 WR's sets I'd love to see Hunter and Washington working outside, stretching the field while AB and JuJu just terrorize the middle.

Plenty of depth now in case of injury. At RB too with Conner and Samuels(who can also play outside if needed).

No reason we shouldnt be the top offense in the league.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Plenty of depth now in case of injury. At RB too with Conner and Samuels(who can also play outside if needed).

No reason we shouldnt be the top offense in the league.

Ridley is in the mix at RB too although I dont think he makes it even if I feel hes solid Spot back.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Welp. Gurley's deal just sealed the Steelers Vs Bell story as if it wasnt already.

No way we give him 15 mil with 45+mil guaranteed.

People seem to ignore it's a 4 year extension to the 2 years already on his contract so it's like a 6 year deal. He's guaranteed 45 over 6 years. He's an UFA in 2024. Rams were smart. They were looking at the Steelers situation, tag is only going to go up, they got cap space now, Goff and Gurley were going to be due contracts at same time, and still haven't paid AD.

Bell and the Steelers won imo. Bell is going to make 27 mill which was all gtd over two years. Steelers give him 20-30 gtd on a 4 year deal next year. He's getting 5-10 mill more gtd than Gurley and out his contract a year earlier. Bell makes more money in the long run. Gurley didn't see Bell changing the RB market so didn't bet on himself and settled now which is a win for the Steelers.

Rams won for locking him now. Bell won because he will make more money longer term. Steelers won because they didn't overpay. Gurley is the only one who lost in this situation. He's a captain, younger, and never been in trouble. He didn't bet on himself but Rams would have probably had no money to pay him in two years anyways.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ridley is in the mix at RB too although I dont think he makes it even if I feel hes solid Spot back.

As long as Croussaint is gone.

J Franklin is a guy to watch for too. At worst he will make the PC, but if he has a good camp and preseason he has a chance to make the team if they are going with 4 RBs(5 including Nix).

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
If they go 4 Backs I see it

Bell, Connor, Samuels, Ridley.

Franklin goes to PS unless he blows us away and then say goodbye to Ridley.

Either way Toussant is gonzo.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
People seem to ignore it's a 4 year extension to the 2 years already on his contract so it's like a 6 year deal. He's guaranteed 45 over 6 years. He's an UFA in 2024. Rams were smart. They were looking at the Steelers situation, tag is only going to go up, they got cap space now, Goff and Gurley were going to be due contracts at same time, and still haven't paid AD.

Bell and the Steelers won imo. Bell is going to make 27 mill which was all gtd over two years. Steelers give him 20-30 gtd on a 4 year deal next year. He's getting 5-10 mill more gtd than Gurley and out his contract a year earlier. Bell makes more money in the long run. Gurley didn't see Bell changing the RB market so didn't bet on himself and settled now which is a win for the Steelers.

Rams won for locking him now. Bell won because he will make more money longer term. Steelers won because they didn't overpay. Gurley is the only one who lost in this situation. He's a captain, younger, and never been in trouble. He didn't bet on himself but Rams would have probably had no money to pay him in two years anyways.

Bell isn't going to be a Steeler next year, nor should he be. The Steelers can draft his replacement in 2019.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Now Aaron Donald says he won't play another down without a new contract.

2018 NFL Training Camp: Aaron Donald reportedly 'will not play another down' on current deal

Reactions: SouthGeorge

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I don't even think it's arguable. Donald is a monster, they're insane if they won't pay him what he deserves.

Its even crazier when you think they gave Suh that contract when he wasnt shit in Miami.

That money shoulda went to Donald

Reactions: Brandinho

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Does anybody have any clarity on why the hell Dez Bryant to the Steelers is a thing?

I've seen shit from he is signing to we are in the top 3.

Why?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Does anybody have any clarity on why the hell Dez Bryant to the Steelers is a thing?

I've seen **** from he is signing to we are in the top 3.

Why?

I mean, if theres an offense who could get the most out of him its ours. With the amount of weapons we have. Id take him over DHB and Justin Hunter.

But I doubt they sign him with Rogers reupping for a year.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Man Dez on paper is tempting on a 1 year, show me deal, but he brings a lot of drama and we already have far to much of that. Plus he'd be like the 4th wheel on offense, depending on how you view JuJu, who I absolutely love. What's he going to do when he's only catching 1-2 passes a game?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Man Dez on paper is tempting on a 1 year, show me deal, but he brings a lot of drama and we already have far to much of that. Plus he'd be like the 4th wheel on offense, depending on how you view JuJu, who I absolutely love. What's he going to do when he's only catching 1-2 passes a game?

Surprised Pats havent signed him yet. Waiting for everyone else to pass, pick him up right before season. Finishes top 5 in league.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Surprised Pats havent signed him yet. Waiting for everyone else to pass, pick him up right before season. Finishes top 5 in league.

It would be a classic Pats signing. I just don't see the Steelers as logical. AB, JuJu, Washington, plus you brought back Eli, and apparently Hunter has been the star of the off season work outs.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It would be a classic Pats signing. I just don't see the Steelers as logical. AB, JuJu, Washington, plus you brought back Eli, and apparently Hunter has been the star of the off season work outs.

Yeah we dont need him. Great on paper like you said. I dont think he would be a distraction and has a chip on his shoulder now but we are set on offense. Theres only enough to go around. Brown has to get his 8-10 passes thrown his way.

And no reason to block Washington.

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Precisely why Bell is a moron. But any sensible person already knew that with the suspensions, stupid rap stuff, and general drama on social media.....

Bell is a moron, but why should he taking a 4.5 million dollar pay cut in exchange for giving away his remaining chances to make guaranteed money?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bell is a moron, but why should he taking a 4.5 million dollar pay cut in exchange for giving away his remaining chances to make guaranteed money?

To win a superbowl first before trying to break 5 banks. Its not like they were offering him 8mil a year. It was still a ridiculous amount.

I could see if we already won a superbowl with him and he wants to cash in now...thats fine. But him knowing we are this close to winning it all and theres a cap in the NFL(maybe his agent didnt tell him) is exactly what sets a team back. Not to mention hes missed 2 playoff years in his short career.

The Steelers offered him a great deal. And he would have continued to make more in the future by staying with this team. But now he will go somewhere else, get close to the same the Steelers were offering...and probably not get another contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad