The Pittsburgher Thread: Draft Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I’m not even sure he was asking for the same deal Brown got. My point was that Colbert even though he didn’t come right out and say it basically told Sanders that he wasn’t worth enough to reject a deal from them. It comes across as Colbert acting like no one should ever reject an offer if it’s from the Steelers, regardless of how trash it is.

I'm going to echo an earlier poster and say that we don't know if Sanders popped off to Colbert before he said this. I'm guessing it's likely that Sanders popped off.

If Colbert initiated with that statement, that is poor form and makes me lose respect for him.

Nonetheless, I don't think team building by paying 2 WRs big money is the way to go (as it would have been with Wallace/AB/Sanders). So in effect, I think we're going to land at a good place from an asset management POV where only JuJu will be making big money and all of our other skill position guys are going to be affordable. That includes Conner; offer him like 3/$15 after this deal is up and if he doesn't like it - bye.

We need to pay the QB, the OLine and the defense. The skill guys should not become a money pit, which is why I'm happy Le'Veon at least is in a different uniform.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
the more i read up on Hockenson, the more i want the Steelers to grab him.

the more i want the Steelers to grab someone, i fear, the less likely it becomes that they actually get that guy.

so maybe i should want Hockenson a little less.

(i'm not usually superstitious, but i am a little stitious)

Oh he will be there. As will one of the Devins.

And they will draft some unknown guy who no one else is talking about because they are that much smarter than the rest of the NFL.

Because they are that arrogant.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
TE is the last area of need

But the areas of need are deep in this draft. And they addressed several in free agency. So they can go with the best player.

Also improving the receiving game is a need and replacing Brown's production may need creative ways.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
But the areas of need are deep in 5his draft. And they addressed several in free agency. So they can go with the best player.

Also improving the receiving game is a need and replacing Brown's production may need creative ways.

We always says this and exactly why the secondary never improves.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Steelers suck at drafting CB. I don't know why people continue to want them to do it again.

The last few times they burned early picks on the secondary, they ended up with Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Terrell Edmunds. They're better off looking to FA.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I really want them to continue to draft players that are high character, low maintenance people off the field. Honestly might be my top priority over even talent. Believe it will go a long way to preemptively creating a strong culture for the post-Ben era.

We always says this and exactly why the secondary never improves.

Failure to properly draft/develop defensive backs is why it doesn’t improve imo.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yes but they always go best player instead of need

They go BPA within a set of needs usually imo. Hope it stays that way. BPA is the best approach to me.

Idk, feel like you don’t pass up on getting an every down TE, Heath Miller type of player if he’s there, and simply draft another lower rated corner based on ‘need’.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They go BPA within a set of needs usually imo. Hope it stays that way. BPA is the best approach to me.

Idk, feel like you don’t pass up on getting an every down TE, Heath Miller type of player if he’s there, and simply draft another lower rated corner based on ‘need’.

No issue with BPA and Colberts drafting. But lbs and cbs are desperate need and this draft has some good ones. So if they take some goofy TE in the 1st over defense, I'm going to be pissed.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
No issue with BPA and Colberts drafting. But lbs and cbs are desperate need and this draft has some good ones. So if they take some goofy TE in the 1st over defense, I'm going to be pissed.

If both Devins are gone and Hock is still there, I don’t see a single CB I’d prefer over him.

It’s also likely a rd1 CB sits early or for the whole year- with Haden, Nelson and Hilton in place. So the TE could have a greater immediate impact too. Pass catcher is also a need with the top WR in the league getting traded off the team.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
If both Devins are gone and Hock is still there, I don’t see a single CB I’d prefer over him.

It’s also likely a rd1 CB sits early or for the whole year- with Haden, Nelson and Hilton in place. So the TE could have a greater immediate impact too. Pass catcher is also a need with the top WR in the league getting traded off the team.

Highly unlikely with injuries. Byron Murphy - Gritty, ballhawking cornerback with the willingness and desire to come up and lay the lumber in run support. He plays like a Steeler.

Who's going to be Dupree's replacement next year? There's Brian Burns. So many needs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
McDonald has a spotty health history. They lost James. All they have is Xavier "stiff-arm fumble through the endzone" Grimble if/when McDonald has to miss time. I wouldn't hate drafting a TE if he was BPA.

Grimble is dumb as a post...the Steelers love dumb players and there’s too many of them on their roster..

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
McDonald has a spotty health history. They lost James. All they have is Xavier "stiff-arm fumble through the endzone" Grimble if/when McDonald has to miss time. I wouldn't hate drafting a TE if he was BPA.

I watched some tape. I wouldn't be mad but all the mocks have him going in 10-15 range so it's a pipe dream.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I watched some tape. I wouldn't be mad but all the mocks have him going in 10-15 range so it's a pipe dream.

NFL mock drafts are so far off from what actually happens at a draft that it is a waste of time to even read them. There are just too many variables spawning from so many more positions on the field than other sports. You basically have a team's needs vs player position (internal) rankings vs maximizing the value of each pick.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m not even sure he was asking for the same deal Brown got. My point was that Colbert even though he didn’t come right out and say it basically told Sanders that he wasn’t worth enough to reject a deal from them. It comes across as Colbert acting like no one should ever reject an offer if it’s from the Steelers, regardless of how trash it is.

I doubt he was dumb enough to ask for Brown money, but given the rep of the the “Young Money” crew and the dumb shit they said about how they were going to get paid, Sanders is 99% likely using selective memory about what happened and leaving out important details.

Since they opened Heinz Field, Steelers have been close to the cap every year and they always take care of their own. They offered Brown a huge deal on their faith in him when he had one good year... then kept restructuring it to make him happy.

Bell ended up getting a worse deal with the Jets no matter how he tries to spin it.

Every deal with all of their stars and role players, you can look back over the years and see that they have always been more than fair with their players.

Brown and Bell have been openly dishonest about how they were treated, to a comical degree, and Sanders was a lot like them, so take from that what you will...

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Other than the 2 idiots, I can't think of anyone who was dissatisfied with the contract the Steelers gave him.

Pouncey, Ben, AB, DeCastro have been among the highest paid players at their positions for years. And Bell would have been the highest paid RB had he signed either of the Steelers past 2 offers.

Polamalu, Shazier, Farrior, Porter, Harrison, Faneca, all the previous stars were always paid their worth.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just do whatever to get Lawrence, Trevor a few years from now. Go 0-16 for all I care ..

If the Steelers go through another rough patch like the did in the late 80's - early 90's we will be like the Calgary Flames of the NFL. Consistently finish just out of a playoff spot, but not bad enough to land impact players. Oh wait...

TE is the last area of need

I actually disagree. The offense could use that dimension not having AB on the other side of the field. He's also a stellar blocker and MacDonald has been hurt every single year of his career.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If the Steelers go through another rough patch like the did in the late 80's - early 90's we will be like the Calgary Flames of the NFL. Consistently finish just out of a playoff spot, but not bad enough to land impact players. Oh wait...

I actually disagree. The offense could use that dimension not having AB on the other side of the field. He's also a stellar blocker and MacDonald has been hurt every single year of his career.

I strongly suspect that when Big Ben calls it a career Tomlin will be out the door with him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Other than the 2 idiots, I can't think of anyone who was dissatisfied with the contract the Steelers gave him.

Pouncey, Ben, AB, DeCastro have been among the highest paid players at their positions for years. And Bell would have been the highest paid RB had he signed either of the Steelers past 2 offers.

Polamalu, Shazier, Farrior, Porter, Harrison, Faneca, all the previous stars were always paid their worth.

And idiot #2 got a much worse deal with the Jets. One of the all time biggest contract blunders in NFL history.

Lots of media people who know Colbert are basically insinuating Sanders is lying, which is my belief as well.

He’s about as credible as the toxic twins.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
And idiot #2 got a much worse deal with the Jets. One of the all time biggest contract blunders in NFL history.

Lots of media people who know Colbert are basically insinuating Sanders is lying, which is my belief as well.

He’s about as credible as the toxic twins.

You can just tell he is lying. The timeline barely fits.

2013 was ABs first big yr. No way do I believe Colbert said that to Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg