OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Bayer Pittsburghusen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
So I never saw Pele, but I saw Maradona (on TV) at the '86 World Cup, and I still have never seen anything like Messi. Was a big fan of Van Basten and the Dutch trio, Zizou was good, R9 was good, C. Ronaldo, etc., but Messi is just so much better than any of those guys. Pretty excited for Tuesday's match.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
We've already made it further than expected, so that helps take the sting off what will inevitably be a 4-0 loss.

Then again this is Argentina in an international tournament, so...anything is possible...just feels like this is finally the time Messi wins a big boy tournament.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I'm curious why Haiti and Jamaica were invited instead of more competitive teams like Trinidad and Tobago and Honduras.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jamaica deserved to be there after their 2nd place finish in the Gold Cup last year.

As for why Haiti is in over the others...maybe the others could have turned down invites. It happens frequently, though this is the first time the tournament has actually been played in North America. I know Japan was invited in 2011, even, though the earthquake prevented them from participating. Jamaica was even in last year's tournament alongside Mexico (who have been in every Copa America since 1993). Honduras last participated in 2001 and Trinidad and Tobago never has. The US used to get invited to every tournament, but didn't go to any of them between 1995 and 2007 because of scheduling conflicts with the MLS.

It's a weird tournament because CONMEBOL doesn't have enough member nations to throw a full tournament with just 10 member nations, so they typically have to bring in two countries form outside CONMEBOL just to get to 12 teams. The pool was increased to 16 for this one.

edit: Aha, answers! Jamaica qualified by winning the 2014 Carribbean Cup, while Haiti beat Trinidad and Tobago in a playoff game to earn their berth (Panama beat Cuba for theirs). Costa Rica qualified by winning the 2014 Copa Centroamericana, while the US and Mexico didn't need to do squat for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Ah, I see. Wasn't aware of those quasi-qualification tournaments. Still, I think I would have had Jamaica play Honduras.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy Draymond Green doesn't get another ring. Hate that mongoloid so much.

Lebron really deserves that championship. Enjoyed watching him play in Miami, but I never liked Wade or Bosh so I couldn't get behind the Heat.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Eh, I wanted to see Cleveland get punched in the dick again, but I think they've had enough misery for fifty years.

Now watch everyone leave and the Cavs become godawful next year.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Glad they won.

Now I can get back to hating that god awful place they call a city.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Been living in Cleveland the past few years and it's hard not to feel for the city with this win. Means a ton to the city, and without a pro team in Pittsburgh it's a little hard to feel anything negative toward the Cavs.

The Browns on the other hand, **** em. Nothing makes me happier than listening to the inevitable slide down of the optimism surrounding each new Brown's season.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
After the pens won the cup I had a strong suspicion that the Cavs were going to eke out a win. Evidently it is the year of the older generational superstar winning championships. First it was Peyton, then Sid and now Lebron. And weirdly enough, all three won their championship in the Bay area. Not sure who the baseball equivalent is (Alex Rodriguez?), but whoever he is, it seems like he is destined to win in October at AT&T Park.

edit: maybe bryce harper? http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2009/06/04/QJpZswIi.jpg

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not sure why you think he's a "toolbag," but he is the greatest basketball player in the history of the sport.

:laugh:

Im not laughing because I necessarily disagree. Having lived through Jordan's career, (along with a good chunk of Bird and Magic, etc...) it's pretty clear to me that James is the most unique, physically-gifted player (and not said as a backhanded compliment) player in the history of the sport, and yes, probably the best, but man that's an impossible sell in basketball circles where every coherent thought is met by cries of RINGZ!

Then again, I also believe Peyton Manning is the greatest player in NFL history, and most seem convinced he's not even the best of his era, so...:dunno:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
LeBron is great but he isn't nearly what Jordan was, imo. Jordan just had a certain aura of invincibility at his peak that LeBron has never had. LeBron's performance in the last 3 games of these finals was one of the most amazing I've ever seen though.

I can't bring myself to root for our rival cities like Cleveland etc. Probably the most extreme example of this was in 2004. There was a horse named Smarty Jones running for the triple crown. I was on the bandwagon but then I found out the horse was from Philadelphia and I got off the bandwagon real fast. I can't even bring myself to cheer an animal from one of our rival cities. :laugh:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland isn't really a rival in my eyes. A rival needs to at least challenge you. They're just the team I like beating up on in football.

Oh and lebron has to be considered up there with Jordan. The guy has been in 6 straight finals with two different teams. He's the one that puts them there. I'm an MJ fan and grew up watching him, he basically made me a bulls fan and was absolutely the best, but he had a ton of help as well.

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I will give the NBA one thing, they know how to sell their talent. They celebrate their stars and legacy.

Meanwhile, in the NHL...

member 51464

Thirteen seasons are done for Lebron now, which is how many MJ had before his last two with the Wizards.

MJ's career was substantially better in every measurable accolade to this point.

Even including non-prime MJ at the end, he still beats Lebron in career averages of points and steals, are tied in block, and Lebron has a slight edge in rebounding and assists.

Lebron is an all-time great and easily the best of his generation, but I see no way to not say Jordan is a cut above with the edge in scoring titles, Finals wins and MVPs, and defensive prowess.

Congrats to Cleveland, though. Nice to see a dog find a bone once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad