OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 43ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Honestly I'm just terrified that Brown is gonna get hurt returning a punt. Not a fan of having the focal point of your offense subjected to unnecessary contact. Does any other team in the league have their WR1 returning punts? Excluding Landry and Steve Smith cause of injuries. Brown is smart about getting out of bounds and avoiding hits, but I feel like he's leaving some plays out there.

Agreed. I cringe every time I see him take a hit on a punt return.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not that worried about Brown fielding punts for some reason. He has a good feel for exactly how to do it and never seems to take a hard hit doing it. I can't even remember a single time he's even gotten shaken up when fielding a punt. It will be nice when we can find someone else to do it but we don't have a quality option there right now.

Even Archer wasn't much of a punt returner in college. I remember McShay said Archer was special as a kick returner in college but he hasn't even shown anything in that area yet. Ed Bouchette predicted today that Archer will be the one cut tomorrow to make room for Bell.

Also reports out there that Martavis Bryant is getting treatment for his drug issues in Texas. Hopefully he gets his act together. Sky's the limit with that kid.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Wow. more details on Bryant please?
Here's a little more information.
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant is in Houston working with noted counselor and former NBA coach and player John Lucas, according to sources with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly.

Lucas is a renowned substance abuse counselor who has many success stories working with professional athletes, celebrities and other public figures at his facility in Houston.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...is-bryant-working-with-john-lucas-in-houston/

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Hopefully this is the help that Bryant needs. He can't keep going down the path that Josh Gordon took.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Hopefully this is the help that Bryant needs. He can't keep going down the path that Josh Gordon took.

Yeah, Gordon wouldn't admit he had an issue and didn't seek help. You never know, but this sounds like a positive step.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He has the speed and the hands to be a really effective guy to get the ball to and let him work. What kills him is it takes a stiff breeze to blow him over. I mean, he really has no type of strength to hold himself up from any sort of contact.

And in the case of Bryant, it would be highly unfortunate to see his career end at such an early stage because he couldn't stay away from dope.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
What does he need a councelor for? That's just silly. Just don't smoke during the season.

Bryant's problem isn't drugs, it's stupidity. You get a random drug test once during the season and then you are in the clear. Anybody with half a brain would just not smoke until after their random test.

Gordon's biggest issue is stupidity as well.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What does he need a councelor for? That's just silly. Just don't smoke during the season.

Bryant's problem isn't drugs, it's stupidity. You get a random drug test once during the season and then you are in the clear. Anybody with half a brain would just not smoke until after their random test.

I don't think it was just once, because for this to be a suspension, I believe he had to fail more than one drug test.

Just not doing drugs isn't easy enough for some - as you can see. He is going to be making millions of dollars and he puts his career in jeopardy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

For many it's not that simple. For many of these kids (they are, damn i feel old), they were raised in the ghetto, with no money, an easy path down a short and destructive life and all of a sudden, a game makes them worth 6 to 7 figures (or more).

I do think stupidity is the main reason in the case of Bryant, and Gordon, but getting help is never a bad thing. Hearing it from people who walked the walk and had their own bouts with drugs and maybe even destroyed a career/life is a good thing for many.

Getting help is all about admitting you have some sort of problem. Yes, Bryant has obviously been stupid, but he also needs to understand how much pot is going to ruin his life if he keeps going down that road.

Josh Gordon and Aldon Smith are two clear examples of people who don't want to help themselves. At least Bryant is getting external support. That is a major difference and should give us hope that he wants to better himself.

I said, to the chagrin of many, that Bryant was a rough/poor mans Randy Moss after that 96 yard TD vs Cincy last year. His combination of height, weight and speed is just to similar not to make a rough comparison. We've seen in the 2nd half of last season. We saw him destroying folks in the pre season this year. He really could be an elite #1 with his skill set.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I don't know the details (and I'm not going to take the time to research it), but my understanding is that once you have tested positive, you are tested much more frequently. I thought I read that Gordon was being tested for at least alcohol several times/month.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Wow, stunned at that. Murphy deserves a roster spot over Archer. This is all about Archer being a 3rd round pick. Nothing more.

Guess Coates will dress this week.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Obnoxious Pats fans still on their crosses:

http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/09/23/persecution-of-tom-brady-continues/

Didn't Roth have 5 completions over 30 yards while missing two of his biggest weapons?

:shakehead. Could certainly make a case for TB being Player of the Week, but other than this guy, who gives a ****. I doubt either Brady or Ben care. Even at the end of his diatribe, he essentially says anyone who pays attention to this is a loser, which includes himself.

This type of mentality, as manifest in the people who flock to a lightly populated Steeler MB to defend the Pats, is really bizarre.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No reason to keep Archer around. They don't even use him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think it was just once, because for this to be a suspension, I believe he had to fail more than one drug test.

Just not doing drugs isn't easy enough for some - as you can see. He is going to be making millions of dollars and he puts his career in jeopardy.
Bryant failed 4 drug tests already. Pretty safe to say he has a problem and that's why the Steelers sent him to get help.
No reason to keep Archer around. They don't even use him.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Archer is useless to them.

I'm certainly not outraged by cutting Tyler Murphy since I figured they'd cut Murphy anyway once Martavis Bryant gets back in a couple of weeks. Maybe Archer will be gone at that point. Keeping Archer just makes little sense since he's so useless to the team.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Bryant has failed at least 4 drug tests, that's on him.

The fact that the substance is or isn't treated laughably by the NFL/older society at large doesn't come into play...you have to be a moron to be caught that many times when you know they're checking...especially considering how (relatively) briefly the substance stays in your system.

As for the cut...Murphy was going to be gone once Bryant comes back, but I can't see a single good reason for him to get the axe now over Archer. Murphy is a nice luxury in the sense that he's an emergency QB...but he's such a pedestrian receiver at this point that it's hard to make the argument to keep him on when we're scratching Coates as it was.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Obnoxious Pats fans still on their crosses:

http://thornography.weei.com/sports/boston/2015/09/23/persecution-of-tom-brady-continues/

Didn't Roth have 5 completions over 30 yards while missing two of his biggest weapons?

Week 2

Ben: 77.7 completion %, 13.66 yrds/attempt, 11.11 td%, 155.787 rating

Brady: 64.40 completion %, 7.9 yrds/attempt, 5.08 td%, 105.61 rating

Ben had a much better week. All Brady did better was compile more yards as a result of throwing the ball 32 more times than Ben.

It seems yards and touchdowns are the only way most people can evaluate a qb's performance. Andrew Luck was voted the 7th best player in the whole league by the players just because he has good counting stats. Nevermind his turnovers and abysmal completion%.

And lol at the writer annointing the Bills defense as unstoppable because they managed to stop Andrew "the turnover machine" Luck in week 1.:laugh:

And Big I'm 100% with you on the Bryant issue. I'm willing to bet that at least 10% of nfl players smoke regularly and very few of them get caught because they are smart enough not to partake before they are tested. I'd have sympathy for Bryant if it was a drug which creates chemical dependence and he physically needed it to not get withdrawl sickness but that just doesn't happen with pot. Like I said, his issue is that he is a moron.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Week 2

Ben: 77.7 completion %, 13.66 yrds/attempt, 11.11 td%, 155.787 rating

Brady: 64.40 completion %, 7.9 yrds/attempt, 5.08 td%, 105.61 rating

Ben had a much better week. All Brady did better was compile more yards as a result of throwing the ball 32 more times than Ben.

Whatever Mr. Math and you're fancy numbers! IT'S A CONSPIRACY! :sarcasm:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Maybe the NFL should quit their war on weed, what business is it of theirs anyway?

I don't do weed, but I could care less if any other person chooses to use it. There is absolutely zero difference between it and alcohol.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
For a frequent user, pot stays in your system longer. That's probably the most significant difference, given that the NFL tests for both.

Even if Bryant's problem is that he's stupid, you can't cure stupid, but maybe some education/counseling will help. At the rate he's going, he'll be out of the league soon enough, so why not try the Lucas thing, especially since it's apparently helped others in the same boat.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Maybe the NFL should quit their war on weed, what business is it of theirs anyway?

I don't do weed, but I could care less if any other person chooses to use it. There is absolutely zero difference between it and alcohol.

Except that it's illegal and alcohol isn't. If a job you have says dont have illegal drugs in your system...then don't have it in your system. I don't care if people use pot, but I'm not going to get mad at the league for looking down at a currently illegal substance in most states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad