The Philip Joseph Kessel Jr Appreciation Thread

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man... I don't feel bad for him as I don't know him personally, but why does this guy get so much hate from teams. I mean Toronto it was the fans and reporters that unnecessarily tore into the guy personally and I'm not too up-to-current with whatever shenannigans are going on with him now in Pittsburgh.

I think the bulk of the truth lies in Phil simply not being a Hockey Culture-esque Good Soldier, particularly in the way a guy with his sort of points totals/cap hit is viewed as being meant to be (although that's probably a bit misleading too). That wasn't Phil's personality and he wasn't changing that for anyone. Which was part of why I loved him. But it created friction with those who thought he needed to be that guy.

I hope now that he's with a coach who gets him, it goes easier for him.

giphy.gif

Reactions: shoplifter

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I will always root for those who march to the beat of a different drum. I liked him in Boston, liked him in Toronto, loved him here and will like him in Arizona.

The only question I have yet to answer is whether I will keep him in my fantasy league, but that is for another section of this board altogether.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think the bulk of the truth lies in Phil simply not being a Hockey Culture-esque Good Soldier, particularly in the way a guy with his sort of points totals/cap hit is viewed as being meant to be (although that's probably a bit misleading too). That wasn't Phil's personality and he wasn't changing that for anyone. Which was part of why I loved him. But it created friction with those who thought he needed to be that guy.

I hope now that he's with a coach who gets him, it goes easier for him.

giphy.gif

He also chafes under authority because he has likely unreconciled paternal issues due to his mom :popcorn:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Phil Kessel is a great hockey player and the trade that brought him here was a masterstroke for the organization (although in retrospect they should've given up Pouliot). I'm glad we got to see the best of him for a few years. The Sid/Geno era would likely be viewed in a very different light if not for Kessel.

I think the return was good. Arizona got the best player in the deal but it was always gonna go that way. Chucky has potential to be a very good 2LW, and if he doesn't work out, he's on a cheapish/short contract. I like the prospect we got too. If nothing else the Pens are a younger team now. Still rocking my Kessel shersey in memoriam.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
That petty asshole Shanahan wouldn't even allow Kessel's return to Toronto to be acknowledged. I assume Phil will get a nice video this time even though he didn't lead the Penguins in scoring for six straight years.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Phil,

You were awesome, and easily could have won the Conn Smythe. The Penguins did you wrong. Mike Sullivan is a tyrant and you were just another victim. This team is going to live and die by Mike Sullivan.

I think he wins in the end; he gets to play for a players’ coach and live in a great place to play golf. He won’t have any pressure to win there either. This is as close to a retirement while still playing as you can get.

Good luck, Phil. This team will take another step back (for the third straight off season) because of this trade.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Phil,

You were awesome, and easily could have won the Conn Smythe. The Penguins did you wrong. Mike Sullivan is a tyrant and you were just another victim. This team is going to live and die by Mike Sullivan.

I think he wins in the end; he gets to play for a players’ coach and live in a great place to play golf. He won’t have any pressure to win there either. This is as close to a retirement while still playing as you can get.

Good luck, Phil. This team will take another step back (for the third straight off season) because of this trade.

Maybe Phil will just go on LTIR for PTSD from all the abuse he took as a Penguin :sarcasm:

Reactions: KIRK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Maybe Phil will just go on LTIR for PTSD from all the abuse he took as a Penguin :sarcasm:
He should. The guy is being treated as a scapegoat for our entire team’s failures last year. JR is not owning up to any of his mistakes, but he had to make a major move to appease the fans, and Kessel was one of 4 or 5 forwards that has any sort of value.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Good luck in Arizona. The lack of rabid sports media is a plus. Having to be "the guy" again could turn out to be pretty bad for him though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil continued to play at a PPG level. I also wouldn't be surprised if he dropped down to like 60pts.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Good luck in Arizona. The lack of rabid sports media is a plus. Having to be "the guy" again could turn out to be pretty bad for him though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phil continued to play at a PPG level. I also wouldn't be surprised if he dropped down to like 60pts.
Yeah nah the dude survived Toronto, he’ll be fine being the guy for 20 fans. :laugh:

Reactions: billybudd

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Glad he came; Pens definitely don't win in 2016 without him and probably not in 2017. But it's a good time for him to move on.

I like the trade. Pens lose on the talent side, but it's a great move (along with moving Olli) on the cap side. Plus Gal essentially on a one-year tryout for Pens and the rest of the league, and his effort should be at its peak. In the big picture, Pens are on the backside of a historic run. It's necessary to shed talent and salary as they did with the last two rebuilds. I think doing this now will cushion the long term blow a little when the cycle hits bottom in a few years.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That petty ******* Shanahan wouldn't even allow Kessel's return to Toronto to be acknowledged. |I assume Phil will get a nice video this time even though he didn't lead the Penguins in scoring for six straight years.

That's a thing that was probably decided by PR/marketing. If the fans jeered the video--and they would have--it makes your organization/city look bad.

I think that was the right call for those reasons.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I didn't want him to go even though I understand why it probably needed to happen. I just really enjoyed him and since I'm a fan I allow myself to be irrational. It's sad but sometimes when you love someone you need to set them free.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad