The Philip Joseph Kessel Jr Appreciation Thread

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
I think all things considered this game might be the best game Phil has played in his life.

That HBK magic was so much fun.
Actually his performance in game 3 against Tampa that year when he was 1+1 I consider as his best game in Pens uniform. He was a beast mode this game. Without Vas in the net Kess can have hattrick at minimum and was beast defensively too.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Let's stick to games, interviews, etc. that have to do with Phil. Trade talk can go in the roster building thread.

(Posts that were moved can be found within the first few pages of that thread.)

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think people are hanging onto what Phil was in 16 and 17 as opposed to looking objectively at what he is now. That being said he had a great run and the game below is one of my best memories of him (especially since I was there). What a performance in that game.

This game was crazy and Phil delivered the great

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Always liked this one. Kind of epitomizes the HBK line.

It’s funny I remember think that line wouldn’t work when Malkin went down and it was put together. I thought Bonino was too slow to play on a line with the 2 fastest forwards on the team. I’ll always be happy I was wrong.

With a JJ cameo. Happier times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trade

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Always liked this one. Kind of epitomizes the HBK line.

It’s funny I remember think that line wouldn’t work when Malkin went down and it was put together. I thought Bonino was too slow to play on a line with the 2 fastest forward on the team. I’ll always be happy I was wrong.

To be fair, after that hot minute, it didn't work again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is Phil as outspoken as Ian Cole?

To be fair, after that hot minute, it didn't work again.

It didn't stop our coaching staff from trying versions of it and then that same line again countless times even when it still wouldn't work and never coming up with any other creative solutions.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think people are hanging onto what Phil was in 16 and 17 as opposed to looking objectively at what he is now. That being said he had a great run and the game below is one of my best memories of him (especially since I was there). What a performance in that game.

Mike Sullivan is not the same as 16 and 17, either. And he is a hell of a lot easier to get rid of/replace.
If we are being objective.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I do. It's a GM's league now with the salary cap and JR has never shied away from tinkering to find the right mix. That, in my view, is a good thing.

While his gunslinger mentality is great and his willingness to change, just put his trades and FA signings since 2017 in a column and ask yourself whether those players have been good for the Pens or not, and whether there appeared to be any legit plan or strategy that made sense in obtaining or using that player...when you agree that the bad heavily outweighs the good, then you’ll come to the inevitable conclusion this guy is just winging it and that’s not really the best thing for the Pens in Sid and G’s twilight years..

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
All the very best to Phil. It was a treat watching him for the four years he was here. It went by so fast. Thanks for getting the Pens back to back Cups Phil and good luck!!

Reactions: BHD and Andy99

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I hate how the team ran him through the mud before trading him. He was part of the massive turn in the organization and helped bring two cups.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think I've ever liked a dude more, but despised a player more, than Phil Kessel. :laugh:

I've been hopeful he would be moved since after that Caps series last summer, and I think his time was well past. That being said, he was as integral as anyone in our back to back Cups.

Best of luck, Phil. You're close to Vegas now, too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The day I found out about the Phil Kessel trade - back when I didn't even really know that much about hockey - was when I was with my then girlfriend at Disney. We found out her step-sister was pregnant and that Phil Kessel was a Penguin the same day and she said "Disney really is the most magical place on earth!"

Kessel's been the sort of player, and brought the sort of success, that we dream of. Regardless of how this ended, nobody can or should try to take that away from him.

Good luck Phil and thank you.

Reactions: BHD

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I've loved Phil since his rookie season. Really enjoyed his time with my Leafs and was super happy for him to win a pair of cups with the Pens. Glad he worked out for you guys, now hopefully in Arizona he can just chill out and play the game without worrying about the pressures that have come with the three massive markets he has played in thus far.

Also, congrats Pens fans on what looks like a decent return at first glance.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Although have been prepared for this for a while and everyone knows this has to be done, still sad to see him leave. Thanks for the cups and everything. It was fun. Wish him all the best in AZ.

Reactions: BHD

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Looking forward to his Return Game Back to PGH! Should be a good ovation, not Fluery like, but pretty damn good. Man.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Will FOREVER be a Penguin as his accomplishments will never be matched as long as he plays. Love him. Back 2 back doesn't happen without him.

Thanks a million Phil. The ovations will be deafening at all reunion events

Reactions: wizmet12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad