The Philip Joseph Kessel Jr Appreciation Thread

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As noted in the thread about the actual trade, Geno apparently has said 'goodbye' as only he can, with one of the great enduring Phil memories . . .

That whole scene with him and Geno against Ottawa ranks #2 behind that magical HBK run. #3, I think, has to go to all of the memes (from hot dogs to Dusty Rhodes and hard times) . . .

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
farewell phil

CCh29rS.gif

Reactions: KIRK

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Ill never forget the anticipation in June of 2015. Kessel?? Saad?? We had no idea what was going to happen but then July 1st it happened. So much excitement. Man oh man did Phil deliver too. He was 100% worthy of the con smythe as well. It's a shame the team had to shit on him while he was out the door but it seems to be their MO for whatever reason. Hope he does well in Ari.

Reactions: wizmet12

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To think the funny clip about Phil and Geno going nuts led to this series changing goal:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly the guy is irreplaceable in life and hockey. We all knew what we were getting when we traded for him and he's the reason we ended up with Cups. The guy could change a game with one flick of the wrist.

I will forever be grateful that 81 was a Penguin.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
always knew this day was coming sooner or later (if not this offseason, then during the next season or offseason)....

But goddamn it still hurts!! :oops::(

Will miss the hot dog lover like no other pens player that has left before....

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Still hard to believe Phil $*#&#<$ Kessel was a Penguin. He batted .500 on cups in Pittsburgh, and helped cement the legacy of Sid and Geno.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Part of why I love Phil is part of what makes him so hard work with. It’s the circle of life. Two Cups, still a good chance that it’s more than Toronto will ever get. Summer 2015 was a great time given how terrible the previous couple years went.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly the guy is irreplaceable in life and hockey. We all knew what we were getting when we traded for him and he's the reason we ended up with Cups. The guy could change a game with one flick of the wrist.

I will forever be grateful that 81 was a Penguin.

No way we win in 2016 without him (maybe someone could make a 2017 argument because of how dialed in Sid, Geno, and Murray were, but no way 2016, and I don't think Sid and Geno are as dialed in for 2017 without the B2B legacy incentive).

Reactions: wizmet12

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Future hall of fame and one of my favorite players ever. Thank you so much for the memories Phil and good luck riding off into the ridiculously hot sunset of Arizona.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'll never forget the summer of 2015 coming off the hopelessness of almost sliding out of a playoff spot and then getting smoked by the Rangers. It really felt like our window had slammed shut. That June of Kessel rumours and everyone else (Saad? Oshie?) was excruciating but so exciting because it legitimately felt like anything could happen. I was constantly refreshing this dumb threat waiting for IcedCapp and whoever claimed to have insider info to give piecemeal updates of what was going on. Then on July 1st when Bob McKenzie broke the trade it felt like a Cup-winning overtime goal. Then the little extras (Maatta is not included... Murray is not included... Salary is retained...) and getting Plotnikov who I was sure was going to be what Rust ended up being. I remember just thinking to myself "Phil Kessel is a Pittsburgh Penguin" and being completely dumbfounded by how insane it was that we had added another forward star.

Putting together insane line combinations (Dupuis - Crosby - Kessel? Plotnikov - Malkin - Kessel?) and speculating on whether Phil would score 50 goals... Then when we were horrible out of the gate it felt like a nightmare, but that made the rise to the top so great. Phil blew our window wide open.

2015-16 was and will always be my favourite season as a Pens fan. Thanks for that, Phil the Thrill. Phil Kessel was a Pittsburgh Penguin.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Man... I don't feel bad for him as I don't know him personally, but why does this guy get so much hate from teams. I mean Toronto it was the fans and reporters that unnecessarily tore into the guy personally and I'm not too up-to-current with whatever shenannigans are going on with him now in Pittsburgh.

The guy is great at scoring goals and it's a shame he gets ridden hard because of his defensive efforts. It's not like he's the only Penguin that didn't give a damn about defensive aspects last season.

At least he is with his boy now in Phoenix and he is the coach now. Working for someone you get and who gets you makes worlds of a difference in attitude, performance.... just all aspects.

I predict Phillip is going to have a MONSTROUS season this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->