OT: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Though Harden and Irving were a horrid fit together, only one ball.
Maxey is a scorer first, and will defer to Harden, he has a couple years to develop his game and replace Harden.

I think Harden is a two year move, I'd be shocked if Morey gives him an extension, the deal was predicated on Harden picking up next year's option.
You don't add 4 years at max money on top of that for a player at 34-37 years old.

After two years, Morey can see if Embiid stays healthy, in which Embiid and Maxey are your two stars, Harris has one year left and Harden's money is off the books, creating lots of flexibility.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think anyone who says the Nets clearly won the deal only see it from Brooklyn's POV.

No doubt they got good value for Harden. However, they were already contenders for the title this year. We weren't.

This trade instantly put us in the conversation for the next few years. The reality is that both teams did pretty well considering the circumstances.

Exactly. Both teams got what they needed from a situation that neither would have wanted to be in.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Definitely an interesting read. I will admit it makes me a bit more sympathetic towards Simmons, although if his grievances were justified he still handled things horribly. This part has me a little worried in that it reinforces my thoughts about Harden not thriving in an offense that emphasizes movement, and the Sixers have generally looked best when the ball and the bodies are moving around. That said, Embiid is more suited to the kind of offense Harden prefers so it could very well work.

He wanted everything catered to him the way it was in Houston, especially the offense. Kevin Durant and head coach Steve Nash disagreed. Both wanted the Nets’ offense to feature ball and player movement, and Harden, upon being rebuffed, ducked into his shell at times, according to sources, and even criticized teammates and coaches to NBA insiders sitting courtside at games.
Yeah that was a very good read ...provided a lot of context for sure. I can see Simmons feeling marginalized but obviously he held a grudge despite the Sixers trying to bring him back in the fold. His response has been definitely unprofessional and lacking maturity though.

Also some interesting tidbits between Morey and Rivers. Seems Rivers was not initially a fan of bringing him on despite having a personal relationship. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.....

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like soonest we see the bearded one is against the Celtics. Should be fun..

Also Stephen A and Barkley will be on the Missanelli show today...2pm and 3 respectively. More interested in Sir Charles...Stephen A is annoying.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Missanelli sounds pretty dumb discounting the picks the Sixers gave up as crap. You never can discount picks like that just because he thinks they will be late round....I mean Maxey is a perfect example lol! Plus they are assets regardless that can be parlayed. The Nets will use them to improve their team further. That is exactly what Morey was looking to do..get some picks but he had to give them up instead but at least with protections.

No doubt Sixers gave up a nice haul of assets and Stephen A and Barkley saying that Morey had a fixation on Harden and maybe had better options earlier or this summer and paid too much while improving a rival with needed complementary pieces may be valid to some extent but Sixers kind of had no choice to go bold...that is Morey's MO anyway.

Plus we kept some future with Maxey and Thybulle and Thybulle has trade value if we decide to move him along with Harris for cap space and a better fit #3 player. Also, Harden and Embiid can attract more stars....

Last edited:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Valid point about Harris....he ain't gonna see the ball as much and is going to have to adjust his game again. He has come on of late but now he will have to defer more or learn to slash more like Leggler has said he will have to do or shoot more threes...and make them!

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Missanelli sounds pretty dumb discounting the picks the Sixers gave up as crap. You never can discount picks like that just because he thinks they will be late round....I mean Maxey is a perfect example lol! Plus they are assets regardless that can be parlayed. The Nets will use them to improve their team further. That is exactly what Morey was looking to do..get some picks but he had to give them up instead but at least with protections.

No doubt Sixers gave up a nice haul of assets and Stephen A and Barkley saying that Morey had a fixation on Harden and maybe had better options earlier or this summer and paid too much while improving a rival with needed complementary pieces may be valid to some extent but Sixers kind of had no choice to go bold...that is Morey's MO anyway.

Plus we kept some future with Maxey and Thybulle and Thybulle has trade value if we decide to move him along with Harris for cap space and a better fit #3 player. Also, Harden and Embiid can attract more stars....

SAS is crazy for this.

Sixers weren't getting close to a superstar for Ben as the center piece of the deal. Winning a trade with another team wasn't on the table when it came to Ben Simmons. Thankfully, James Harden also wanted out and that gave us a shot.

It really, really broke our way when it seemed like we'd get subpar pieces back. Now we can legitimately contend.

Reactions: Embiid

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
SAS is crazy for this.

Sixers weren't getting close to a superstar for Ben as the center piece of the deal. Winning a trade with another team wasn't on the table when it came to Ben Simmons. Thankfully, James Harden also wanted out and that gave us a shot.

It really, really broke our way when it seemed like we'd get subpar pieces back. Now we can legitimately contend.
Guess Stephen A and Barkley wanted us to get CJ McCollum..lol. Waiting for Lillard to break loose like Harden broke loose wasn't an option either and tenuous at best. Ideally that would have been the better pick up....but Sixers couldn't pass on Harden. It may blow up in our faces but the status quo couldn't continue without more drama and heartache either. It was a good calculated risk overall...

Reactions: Schwarbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad