Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I am reminded every day that I would be reviled as a GM. Why would you not have the Caitlin Clark discussion? Why would you not make a phone call to see if LeBron wants out? There’s no downside to putting in the work.
Wait, what discussion?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The point is not what you or I think of her. It's that you can bring her in for workouts and see what you've got. The bar for draftable is not close to a star level player.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would 10000000% watch Caitlin Clark in Summer League.

Why would you not make a phone call

O/U 17?

bartleby2.jpg

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I am reminded every day that I would be reviled as a GM. Why would you not have the Caitlin Clark discussion? Why would you not make a phone call to see if LeBron wants out? There’s no downside to putting in the work.
This is just straight up correct, in any sport. Your job is to figure out how to make your team better, no matter how ludicrous the method you use, as long as it's legal. You make the call, because you never know when you're going to find someone willing to do something you thought they never would.

• Love
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I bet there's 10 dudes on Bucknell that could outshoot her.
NBA is a physical game and not just about shooting. She would most likely and quite literally be manhandled on the defensive end.....

But give her a shot and bring her into camp at least. Josh Harris is about PR like that so not surprising if he vouches on her behalf...

Reactions: Schwarbomb

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
The point is not what you or I think of her. It's that you can bring her in for workouts and see what you've got. The bar for draftable is not close to a star level player.
Is she really performing well enough to warrant any attention? I guess this would be similar to scouting high school games, which MLB teams do. Seems insane to consider in a two round draft, though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Is she really performing well enough to warrant any attention? I guess this would be similar to scouting high school games, which MLB teams do. Seems insane to consider in a two round draft, though.

If there is a woman who could do it, it would be a pure shooter who can be somewhat functional if you squint in a few other areas. Think Isaiah Joe as a prospect. That's Clark's exact archetype, so I really do understand checking this one out thoroughly.

You can usually buy late 2nd rounders for pure cash without issue. What I don't know is what exactly the contractual obligations would be. Could she sign in the WNBA and be stashed like a Euro player?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Korkmaz with long hair...no thanks but again can see Harris vouching for her for marketing reasons ala Phil Esposito...

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I thought the tweet meant there was a Sixers basketball reporter attending a momentus basketball occasion (since it said "in the press area") and somehow that implied they were going to consider drafting her. Never once did I consider a scout, which is why I thought the implication was dumb. I would not bat an eye at a Caitlin Clark evaluation

Everyone relax

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Lol @ Doc Rivers. It's the players fault.
That guy's MO is all about deflecting blame.......it is quite pathetic and egotistical.

The comment is spot on in the article....

Bucks are so screwed if they don't fire him....Josh Harris wasted some of Embiid's best years holding on to that bum because he didn't want to pay two high salary coaches. Bucks will have to cut their losses and pay 4! LOL

Article: https://fadeawayworld.net/doc-rivers-blasts-bucks-roster-humiliating-loss-grizzlies

"He cannot comfortably feel the pace of a game and adjust on the fly. That has been one of the main reasons why teams can counter his schemes effectively in the playoffs. His offensive schemes are stagnant and going more out-of-date with innovative ways to score being pioneered around the league."

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Dumb question, can women not participate in NCAA men’s basketball? From what I can tell, Clark didn't play against boys in high school either. Maybe Clark's already decided that she only wants to compete against women.

I feel like men's sports at all age brackets should be open entry to allow outliers to reach the highest possible level of competition, if that's their choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad