Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think it might be time to have the conversation about whether or not he’s the worst owner in city history.
I lived through Harold Katz and I do recall Norman Braman.

Harris is not at that level but he is not somebody you can trust.

I mean he has really made some massively damaging decisions with butterfly effects to the future well-being of this franchise

1) Letting the league steamroll him with implanting the Colangelo usurpers whether he had a choice or not. I feel as though the Sixers could sue the league over this...that is how damaging it was to the stability of their future. The league forced the Sixers to change course and was very disruptive to continuity of operations.

2) Letting the Colangelos completely derail the process with their bad drafting and trades and then embarrassing them with that burner account scandal.

3) Promoting Brand to GM to learn on the job and surrounding him with a consensus committee which eventually included Brett Brown with draft decisions. We know which draft was completely botched and set the Sixers process back...

4) Not wanting to pay Butler believing he would be more trouble than he was worth. They wouldn't be able to "control" him.

5) Because of Brand's inexperience we kept Brett Brown too long and let him coddle Simmons which ruined his development

6) Hiring Doc Rivers as coach over Brand's recommendation of Ty Lue solely due to suspect pedigree and fake charisma and then letting him waste more years of Embiid's career because firing him too soon would mean having to pay out big salaries to two coaches. This also tied Morey who came in soon after Rivers.

I mean there is more including what looks to be money considerations with some of the head scratching moves made yesterday but these are among the most egregious.

Last edited:

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I lived through Harold Katz and I do recall Norman Braman.

Harris is not at that level but he is not somebody you can trust.

I mean he has really made some massively damaging decisions with butterfly effects to the future well-being of this franchise

1) Letting the league steamroll him with implanting the Colangelo usurpers whether he had a choice or not. I feel as though the Sixers could sue the league over this...that is how damaging it was to the stability of their future. The league forced the Sixers to change course and was very disruptive to continuity of operations.

2) Letting the Colangelos completely derail the process with their bad drafting and trades and then embarrassing them with that burner account scandal.

3) Promoting Brand to GM to learn on the job and surrounding him with a consensus committee which eventually included Brett Brown with draft decisions. We know which draft was completely botched and set the Sixers process back...

4) Not wanting to pay Butler believing he would be more trouble than he was worth. They wouldn't be able to "control" him.

5) Because of Brand's inexperience we kept Brett Brown too long and let him coddle Simmons which ruined his development

6) Hiring Doc Rivers as coach over Brand's recommendation of Ty Lue solely due to suspect pedigree and fake charisma and then letting him waste more years of Embiid's career because firing him too soon would mean having to pay out big salaries to two coaches. This also tied Morey who came in soon after Rivers.

I mean there is more including what looks to be money considerations with some of the head scratching moves made yesterday but these are among the most egregious.
Yes to all of your massively damaging decisions. Just awful management.

Regarding owners, Katz and Braman were largely before my time, so I don’t have the emotional connection and didn’t really live through it.

Katz won a title, which immediately raises him above Harris in my opinion. He was also a passionate Philadelphia guy who bought the team because he loved basketball and loved the Sixers. He just unfortunately wasn’t as rich as some other owners.

Braman is certainly on that same tier to me. No philly connection, bought the team as an investment and squandered opportunities to win to save a buck. The only thing I’ll say is sports today is a lot different than sports in the 80s and 90s. The way these tv contracts have escalated, teams are printing money. The value of the Sixers has gone up 4 BILLION (with a B) DOLLARS in Josh Harris’s 13 years of ownership. To duck out of paying the luxury tax for a team/city that’s added that much to your net worth is unconscionable.

Reactions: Embiid

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Anyone who believed in this team even with Embiid is a clown. Luckily WFT has the same owner and their irrelevance will continue just like this franchise.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Btw..even if this explains the earlier moves .... doesn't necessarily mean I endorse all of Morey's machinations just to get Lowry even if he thinks Lowry is better than Pat Bev....guess we'll see if we got ourselves a slightly better version of playoff PJ..

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Morey in the front office, cooked Lowry, Demar in the summer in free agency, pretender status forever
This is 2017 me's darkest timeline.
1707656858990.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad