The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It was absolutely not a necessity and a pile of us called exactly what would happen with the Holtby signing from the second it was made. It's hilarious because the WAIT AND SEE -> HINDSIGHT! nonsense is being discussed literally right now in another thread. Keeping good players who play every single night was exponentially more important than signing bad players who play 1/3 of the games.

Without the pandemic, salaries would have been higher and Toffoli would have signed for substantially more, and the cap-crunched team would still not have been able to afford him.

It's an absolute nonsense argument. Good managers are able to adjust to situations on the fly and prioritize the right players to keep.
What a load of nonsense, holy f***.

"Without the pandemic, salaries would have been higher and Toffoli would have signed for substantially more, and the cap-crunched team would still not have been able to afford him."

Conjecture, conjecture conjecture. Better treat it as fact and get angry and sanctimonious about it.

"Keeping good players who play every single night was exponentially more important than signing bad players who play 1/3 of the games.".

Just bad faith arguing. Did Holtby play well? No. But the idea that we knew that Demko would be capable of playing 2/3rds of a season without having a support valve is ridiculous. If you're honest with yourself, you'll acknowledge that if we had not brought in a veteran backup and Demko had faltered you would have been sprinting for your pitchfork.

"Good managers are able to adjust to situations on the fly and prioritize the right players to keep".

The austerity measures were implemented by ownership. You think Benning acquired Toffoli with no plan on keeping him, then Toffoli played really well and Benning didn't keep him because he was too stupid to recognize good play? If you're arguing against a caricaturized version of Benning, as many on these boards seem to, then you can't be taken seriously.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I'm telling you that this is a horseshit copout because they still reallocated his dollars poorly. It's not as if they chose not to spend Toffoli's salary elsewhere.
So you wouldn't have spent anything on a competent backup with the potential to take over and not completely sewer our season if our young goalie (who faltered prior to Covid when leaned on) had struggled?

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I just wonder why some people seem to be happy being super angry about the Canucks the whole time but spend their time on here :laugh:

If they are so poo why waste your time on a canucks FAN board :huh:
Remember in high school the phase some kids went through where they thought nihilism and depression was a higher intellectual echelon?

Reactions: Paradise Circus

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I just wonder why some people seem to be happy being super angry about the Canucks the whole time but spend their time on here :laugh:

If they are so poo why waste your time on a canucks FAN board :huh:
Because of your charming personality Paradise Circus of course.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So you wouldn't have spent anything on a competent backup with the potential to take over and not completely sewer our season if our young goalie (who faltered prior to Covid when leaned on) had struggled?
Sorry, but if you’re asking if I would have taken a better backup for a cheaper price and kept Toffoli, the answer is yes.

This was my response a year ago.

Holtby did not perform like a competent backup and they paid him low end starter money.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Sorry, but if you’re asking if I would have taken a better backup for a cheaper price and kept Toffoli, the answer is yes.

Holtby did not perform like a competent backup and they paid him low end starter money.
"Sorry, but if you're asking if I would have hindsight bias for a fantasy scenario and hindsight bias then the answer is yes".

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
"Sorry, but if you're asking if I would have hindsight bias for a fantasy scenario and hindsight bias then the answer is yes".
Did you even read the part where I said that…

wait for it…

I said the same thing in foresight?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
How did Holtby play and how did the season go?
Hindsight bias.

Look, I wasn't even sure about Holtby. I chose to be optimistic about him because of his past and the fact that he seems like a really good guy to mentor a young goalie. But I'm not arguing it went well, I'm arguing that the rationale behind paying for a (hopefully) competent 1a/1b was not only sound, but essential.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Who is angry?
I'm superfly TNT

xVXmwju.gif

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Honestly, you would think someone who throws out hindsight bias as a deflection would - at the bare minimum - understand what hindsight bias is.

Especially when I outline that I had said the same thing in foresight.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I remember responding to someone and saying that I’d have preferred signing Anton Forsberg to Holtby. That was one of the more provocative takes but I stand by it. What a stupid signing, in all forms of sight.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Saying that people didn’t want Holtby and would have preferred a cheaper alternative is hindsight bias is nearly as bad as saying people suddenly didn’t like OEL once we traded for him.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Yes.

You were insinuating that people are speculating on this because it has taken so long.

I am saying that Hughes is taking just as long but nobody is making the same speculations there. So, logical conclusion would be that there is more to it on the Pettersson side than just "deal take too long -> bad relationship."

Do you understand?

I confronted someone who said 'pro-Benning' posters spread way more false information- I gave an example of someone 'anti-Benning' spreading false information like 2 posts earlier. Ironic isn't it? The point was that both sides spread false information, not that Pettersson's deal is taking long.

Reactions: Sneezy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kevin Woodley liked Holtby..I’m sure Ian Clark did as well..Holtby did not have a good year..but they were not going to throw Demko in the deep end as an unproven starter.

Especially in a compressed schedule.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Honestly, you would think someone who throws out hindsight bias as a deflection would - at the bare minimum - understand what hindsight bias is.

Especially when I outline that I had said the same thing in foresight.
Whereas I would think that if you're going to rant about someone in a misguided way, you'd have the courage to quote them or @ them.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I confronted someone who said 'pro-Benning' posters spread way more false information- I gave an example of someone 'anti-Benning' spreading false information like 2 posts earlier. Ironic isn't it? The point was that both sides spread false information, not that Pettersson's deal is taking long.

Whats the false information?

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Whereas I would think that if you're going to rant about someone in a misguided way, you'd have the courage to quote them or @ them.
true you weren’t sitting here reading the thread when i posted that

really thought it would slip past you

4th line culture

Jan 11, 2020
Hindsight bias.

Look, I wasn't even sure about Holtby. I chose to be optimistic about him because of his past and the fact that he seems like a really good guy to mentor a young goalie. But I'm not arguing it went well, I'm arguing that the rationale behind paying for a (hopefully) competent 1a/1b was not only sound, but essential.

They didnt pay for a competent 1a/1b though. People said right when he was signed that this wouldnt end well. That's foresight not hindsight.

Reactions: racerjoe and Peen

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
You assume I sit here with baited breath waiting to see if someone vaguebooks me? Cool.
I understand that you are frustrated that you incorrectly labeled foresight as hindsight in an attempt to deflect, but at some point the deflecting has to stop no?

Hopefully the response to this is “true peen, i acknowledge that i was wrong about your opinion being himdsight bias”

Reactions: Peter10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad