The People's Fantasy Hockey League

MountainGoat

my team is going to be Sarnia Sting instead of the devils if thats alright

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I would be interested as well. I'm bummed the other one didn't work out.

I'm not too big on the use of non-NHL teams though. I know it's not my choice and I understand that someone from Sarnia is naturally gonna want to use the Sting, but it's just not quite the same for me somehow.
Also, I'm thinking that the hit from a shootout/ot loss for a goaltender should be less than a regulation loss to reflect the reality of the league.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
i'd like to join...

sault ste. marie greyhounds
houndsjpg.jpg

agrudez*

I would be interested as well. I'm bummed the other one didn't work out.

I'm not too big on the use of non-NHL teams though. I know it's not my choice and I understand that someone from Sarnia is naturally gonna want to use the Sting, but it's just not quite the same for me somehow.
Also, I'm thinking that the hit from a shootout/ot loss for a goaltender should be less than a regulation loss to reflect the reality of the league.

To be honest I don't like points for wins for a goalie at all, being rewarded for a 6-5 win seems counter productive, but I realized most people would want those points in.

What I was trying to do when I set the points system up was make goalies and skaters equally important.

Example:

An amazing game from a skater is a hatrick, one a GW'er and +1, and amazing game from a goalie is a 50+ save shutout win.

Skater gets 12 points. 2 x 3 = 6 for goals, plus 3 for hattrick modifier and 2 for GWG modifier, and a +1 for the +1 rating.

Goalie gets 10 points. 1 for a win, 4 for 50+ saves and 5 for the shutout.

An above average game for a skater is 1 G 2 A, one a GW'er and a +1, an above average game for a goalie is 30+ saves, 1 GA and a win.

Skater gets 7 points. 2 for the G, 2 for the A, 2 for the GWG, and 1 for the +1

Goalie gets 6 points. 2 for the 30+ saves, 3 for the 1 GA and 1 for the win.

An average game for a skater is 1 PPG, 1 A and even +/-, the average game for a goalie is 3 goals, 20+ saves and a win.

Skater gets 2.5 points. 1.5 for PPG, 1 for A.

Goalie gets 3 points. 1 for 3 goals, 1 for 20+ saves and 1 for a win.

A below average game for a skater is 1 A and a -1, the average game for a goalie is 4 goals, 20+ saves and a loss.

Skater gets no points, +1 for A and -1 for the minus.

Goalie gets no points, 1 point for 20+ saves and -1 for a loss

A bad game for a skater is no points and a minus 1, a bad game for a goalie is 4 goals, 20+ saves and a loss.

The skater gets a -1 for the minus.

The goalie gets a 0, 1 for the 20+ saves and -1 for the loss.

An atrocious game for a skater is no points, -2, an atrocious game for a goalie is 10+ saves, 5 goals against and a loss

The skater gets a -2 for the minus 2.

The goalie gets a -2, -1 for the 5 GA and -1 for the loss

So you can see that goalies get more points per game because it is pretty easy to have an average game for a goalie where as skaters are more inconsistent. Thus the skater gets more points for an amazing game and a goalie gets more for an average game.

I think in the end it makes choosing between Brodeur and Kovalchuk a little tougher at least.

One thing about the other league's rules I've seen is goalies are so unimportant - whereas in the real NHL goalies are the MOST important. I felt a good balance would be best, though.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
To be honest I don't like points for wins for a goalie at all, being rewarded for a 6-5 win seems counter productive, but I realized most people would want those points in.

What I was trying to do when I set the points system up was make goalies and skaters equally important.

Example:

An amazing game from a skater is a hatrick, one a GW'er and +1, and amazing game from a goalie is a 50+ save shutout win.

Skater gets 12 points. 2 x 3 = 6 for goals, plus 3 for hattrick modifier and 2 for GWG modifier, and a +1 for the +1 rating.

Goalie gets 10 points. 1 for a win, 4 for 50+ saves and 5 for the shutout.

An above average game for a skater is 1 G 2 A, one a GW'er and a +1, an above average game for a goalie is 30+ saves, 1 GA and a win.

Skater gets 7 points. 2 for the G, 2 for the A, 2 for the GWG, and 1 for the +1

Goalie gets 6 points. 2 for the 30+ saves, 3 for the 1 GA and 1 for the win.

An average game for a skater is 1 PPG, 1 A and even +/-, the average game for a goalie is 3 goals, 20+ saves and a win.

Skater gets 2.5 points. 1.5 for PPG, 1 for A.

Goalie gets 3 points. 1 for 3 goals, 1 for 20+ saves and 1 for a win.

A below average game for a skater is 1 A and a -1, the average game for a goalie is 4 goals, 20+ saves and a loss.

Skater gets no points, +1 for A and -1 for the minus.

Goalie gets no points, 1 point for 20+ saves and -1 for a loss

A bad game for a skater is no points and a minus 1, a bad game for a goalie is 4 goals, 20+ saves and a loss.

The skater gets a -1 for the minus.

The goalie gets a 0, 1 for the 20+ saves and -1 for the loss.

An atrocious game for a skater is no points, -2, an atrocious game for a goalie is 10+ saves, 5 goals against and a loss

The skater gets a -2 for the minus 2.

The goalie gets a -2, -1 for the 5 GA and -1 for the loss

So you can see that goalies get more points per game because it is pretty easy to have an average game for a goalie where as skaters are more inconsistent. Thus the skater gets more points for an amazing game and a goalie gets more for an average game.

I think in the end it makes choosing between Brodeur and Kovalchuk a little tougher at least.

One thing about the other league's rules I've seen is goalies are so unimportant - whereas in the real NHL goalies are the MOST important. I felt a good balance would be best, though.

I think you're definitely on the right track and you've taken a really interesting approach to scoring the pool for goalies, I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to make ot/shootout losses a half point against or something. I mean, given that there are no longer ties, these are pretty much their equivalent and no pool I ever heard of deducted as many points for a tie as for a loss.
In that vein, as a compromise, maybe it makes sense to make an OT loss equal to a regulation loss, and just make a shootout loss take less of a hit points-wise.
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but it seems that something that gets a team a step closer to the playoffs (i.e. gains them a point) shouldn't be scored exactly the same as a regular loss.

I mean, if you look at it say I have Dwayne Roloson or Martin Biron and the Islanders manage to take Detroit to a shootout where they ultimately lose. I mean, that's a victory for the islanders, that means they really played above themselves. To have it scored the same as some game where they give up an early goal or two and then gave an apathetic effort, never forcing the Redwings to press or anything, and shuffled towards a loss like lambs to a slaughter, doesn't sit quite right I don't think.

I'm curious to see what others think.

agrudez*

I see what you are saying...

Maybe make it:

All wins: 1 point
OT/SO loss: 0 points
Regulation loss: -1 point

That way it completely reflects the NHL (minus 1 point for each category) where:

All wins: 2 points
OT/SO loss: 1 point
Regulation loss: 0 points

Is that what you were getting at Markus?

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Maybe make it:

That way it completely reflects the NHL (minus 1 point for each category) where:

Yeah, exactly. While of course keeping your saves/goals against points as well. I think that's a great system.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

Maybe make it:

This one makes alot more sense.

agrudez*

I don't think I like putting so much credence on wins for a goalies stats. I don't want someone to possibly think it is better to get Ray Emery later in the draft over Steve Mason early in the draft just because the Flyers will win alot more games than the Blue Jackets.

agrudez*

The draft time should be announced shortly for the league, either tonight or tommorrow morning. We are still collecting interest from users to be owners in the league and will make more announcements later. Keep checking the thread for information. Thanks for the patience.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Current GM List:

GM - Team
leafs44 - Toronto Maple Leafs
hotshot26 - Philadelphia Flyers
redbeard7737 - Boston Bruins
DrTurkelton - St. Louis Blues
OilTownHero - Regina Pats
Failure By Design - Chicago Blackhawks
Limiting Reagent - Washington Capitals
Andrew Ference - Saint John Sea Dogs
CAPiTA - Vancouver Canucks
Rugs by Resch - Rochester Americans
habsman56 - London Knights
Jamie1987 - Sarnia Sting
sebster03 -
MarkusNaslund19 -
fedro91 - Detroit Red Wings
papershoes - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
bieksa 3 - Anaheim Ducks
agrudez -
Ktown Sens Fan 19 - Ottawa Senators

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Current GM List:

GM - Team
leafs44 - Toronto Maple Leafs
hotshot26 - Philadelphia Flyers
redbeard7737 - Boston Bruins
DrTurkelton - St. Louis Blues
OilTownHero - Regina Pats
Failure By Design - Chicago Blackhawks
Limiting Reagent - Washington Capitals
Andrew Ference - Saint John Sea Dogs
CAPiTA - Vancouver Canucks
Rugs by Resch - Rochester Americans
habsman56 - London Knights
Jamie1987 - Sarnia Sting
sebster03 -
MarkusNaslund19 -
fedro91 - Detroit Red Wings
papershoes - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
bieksa 3 - Anaheim Ducks
agrudez -
Ktown Sens Fan 19 - Ottawa Senators
nice, are we going with 20 or waiting for 30?

agrudez*

We are still discussing the amount of teams we would like.

And SensFan, that post is really premature, Hotshots and I already decided we were going to play fully loaded Russian Roulette to see who gets the Flyers, he volunteered to go first, too :sarcasm:.

You can put me down for the Philadelphia.... I mean.... Adirondack Phantoms, though.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
nice, are we going with 20 or waiting for 30?

We're going to wait and see later tonight how many more people have applied, and we will be reviewing some applications to see if they're deemed fit to be in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad