Post-Game Talk: The Pens play the exact same game again and wonder why they lose

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
16 shots. Awful powerplay. Not ready to play from the start for the millionth time this season. No forward generated anything. One individual play by Cody Ceci. And nothing else. It starts with Sullivan, Sid, Geno and Jake. Geno is doing this all season, it´s too much already from him. But Sid and Jake are joining him in it now and that´s scary. Also, this team sucks on the road and twice as much in Boston.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Ownership doesn’t care about contending if they keep Sullivan employed much longer. They were way too conservative by keeping him this long.

It’s just a shame that Sully is only here because the team is so damn cheap this season.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
- Crosby still looks like he wants to score a certain way instead of just score. Every play doesn't need to be a Picasso. Just get it to the net. I'd love to see deflections come back and net-front grit. Crosby is too often on cloud 9.

- Rust looks unmotivated and slow, like he took the offseason off. He is not important enough to keep at this level and should be made aware of that now.

- Guentzel is coming back from an injury but is playing scared. If he isn't ready, get off the ice and put someone else in.

- Love Joseph. Marino has come down from his pedestal but he's still good.

- I've been ready to move on from Letang for years. Nothing I have seen this year is changing my mind. He doesn't add to this team as much as he takes away. The more he plays the worse it is.

- Malkin was ok but his line couldn't get the puck in the offensive zone. He's not the player he used to be but he would be very effective with more structure.

- Despite all this, the number one thing this team needs to do now is change the coach. Sullivan is done, fix it now or spend the season repeating the last 3 years. He is out of answers and the why does not matter.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lotta empty jersey's up front in this one.
Systems are arse. Both at evens and special teams.
POJ did pretty well for where he has to play now.

Reactions: Angrrus

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well, that stunk bad. Couldn't watch but from what I was able to catch from the radio broadcast, the team as a whole continues their disgusting lack of detail regarding their defensive play.

Jarry's stats look like sphincter. And I know he actually played well tonight. But I'd love for him to steal one.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens, as I said a week ago, this thing has gone beyond individuals and individual plays. Top to bottom, they're all like 'peace out' with Sullivan. And make no mistake, in the front of the line is Sid. Everything about his game-- the lack of engagement offensively, the skating in circles and covering nobody defensively-- is what precipitated Therrien and Johnston going.

The differences this time: Malkin is following Crosby's lead, whereas before he extended Therrien's and Johnston's employment, which lends itself to a move coming sooner. BUT, the GM change and ownership loving Sullivan swings the other way.

That said, whether a change yields immediate dividends like '09 and '15 is irrelevant. The larger issue is there's no way forward without it . . . no personnel change, however large, does the trick now, so better to make the change and then figure out, under a new regime, who still fits and who needs to go.

Oh, before I forget, I'll end this post on a positive note for you . . .

61VHLp6JhML._AC_UY675_.jpg

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You can fast forward to the playoffs, if they make it, and it will be 4 straight games of this.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
- anyone that thought we would come out of this game with a win (with the defensemen we have playing)
but i did expect better.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Well, that stunk bad. Couldn't watch but from what I was able to catch from the radio broadcast, the team as a whole continues their disgusting lack of detail regarding their defensive play.

Jarry's stats look like sphincter. And I know he actually played well tonight. But I'd love for him to steal one.

This game was unstealable.

Aside from Ceci's Ovechkin goal they had 0 actual chances 5-on-5. At least in the first two periods, I quit in the 3rd.

Just a pathetic team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
@ColePens, as I said a week ago, this thing has gone beyond individuals and individual plays. Top to bottom, they're all like 'peace out' with Sullivan. And make no mistake, in the front of the line is Sid. Everything about his game-- the lack of engagement offensively, the skating in circles and covering nobody defensively-- is what precipitated Therrien and Johnston going.

The differences this time: Malkin is following Crosby's lead, whereas before he extended Therrien's and Johnston's employment, which lends itself to a move coming sooner. BUT, the GM change and ownership loving Sullivan swings the other way.

That said, whether a change yields immediate dividends like '09 and '15 is irrelevant. The larger issue is there's no way forward without it . . . no personnel change, however large, does the trick now, so better to make the change and then figure out, under a new regime, who still fits and who needs to go.

Oh, before I forget, I'll end this post on a positive note for you . . .

61VHLp6JhML._AC_UY675_.jpg
@ColePens

Are you a Ferragamo man? They are my favorite shoes and I am a big fan of their belts.

Now, this is at least a pleasant topic.

Reactions: ColePens

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey @ColePens, that post of mine you just liked. Did you read where I agreed with you or see the pretty Ferragamo loafer picture and channel your inner @Scandale du Jour by hitting the like button and looking for the next pretty picture? :razz:

EDIT: Holy **** . . . @ColePens and @PensX . . . brothers in Ferragamo arms . . . who would've thunk it? :biglaugh:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Marino looked better playing on his correct side.
POJ is playing decent now but let Sullivan have him another year and he'll be f***ed.
Sullivans rigid system. Not using Guetz - Geno, etc. he needs to f***ing go. He did zero to help L1 and L2. He did zero to help f***ing replacement level Defensemen.
PP1 is f***ing awful.
Line 1 is average.
Line 2 is average
Line 3 / 4 play is average to above average. Which is great for L3 and L4

Our defensive system is just bad. Look at the Bruins spacing on D. They can pressure the puck from all points and are never 10 feet away from our guys.

Pens collapse too deep. Pens are way too low. We literally never play the correct side of the body on Defense. I.e. you stay between Player and Goalie.

And on and on...

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
This season is done. They're not going to be able to play defense for weeks and in a 56-game season that's not going to work. I'm writing this one off. Get the kids in there to see what you've got for next season.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Ceci's best game. Positive knowing that second pairing can hold up while players are out. Ceci and Marino both played over 22 minutes and only defense pairing on tbe plus side tonight.

POJ is the real deal and is going to allow a defensman trade at some point if the defense ever gets healthy. Really nice to know we have Pettersson, Marino, and POJ as young defensman. Rutherford really did a nice job adding these young defensman to our team in the past two years.

O'Connor had some nice shifts and he might prove worthy of keeping a spot even when all forwards are healthy.

Pens did okay playing against a very good team that is tough to beat in their own house. Wasn't very high on winning this with the defensman down and not winning in that building since 2014.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We just can't manage the puck and our positioning is awful. The Bruins were a step ahead of us at every turn. And our star players do look completely disinterested.

On a positive note I like what I'm seeing out of POJ, O'Connor and Marino.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
This game was unstealable.

Aside from Ceci's Ovechkin goal they had 0 actual chances 5-on-5. At least in the first two periods, I quit in the 3rd.

Just a pathetic team.

I know. I'm saying this because I feel this is the only chance the team has to be anywhere near .500. He has to steal games. I understand about tonight. But he's the man now. He needs to be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad