Post-Game Talk: The Pens play the exact same game again and wonder why they lose

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If’s a sad state of affairs when he’s the only one who scored through a great effort.

He may not be a very good player, but I respect his fight.
I've said this before and it's clear every damn time I watch him, Cody Ceci is a winger pretending to play D. He is actually pretty good in the offensive zone each damn time. But in the defensive zone he's like a forward playing D because there weren't enough D to ice.

I honestly would be curious to see an O'Connor-Jankowski-Ceci line and then dress Weber in his spot. Ceci is here only a year, who gives a f***.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, I said this in the GDT thread, but I honestly haven't had an issue with Ceci's play so far this year. But you can interpret that as:

1. I just don't notice him, which I guess is good
2. There are other such glaring flaws that I don't notice his flaws, which iad bad

I think Ceci's a solid #6D on a good team, but your team is likely in bad shape if he's playing much more than that.

I also think Ceci is a solid number 6 and really liked his play in the last game. Ceci played over 22 minutes and was a plus 1 on a night most defensman finished in the minus column. I like his physical presence and he is a better skater than I remember from watching in the past. Ceci definitely has more to offer than JJ and I think we will have a good 3rd pairing when everyone bus healthy whoever wins those 5 and 6 spots.

Reactions: Hobodrifter

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Just fire Sullivan already so we can move on and see whether there is still any meat on this carcass. This waiting around when it is obvious it has to happen is not helping anything.

The next GM will do that. Pens are fine right now. Losing both in Boston was no surprise since we haven't won in Boston since 2016. I certainly am not panicking yet. I actually feel much better about surviving this defensman situation than I was before this game. That Marino-Ceci pairing did pretty well with both playing over 22 minutes and did fine.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
If you give up already then stop watching and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Already knew these two games going to be losses. Even the back to back Cup team's couldn't win in that building.

Pens just need to stay afloat until some defensman get back. I can see a second half surge with these younger guys getting a chance and with a very real possibility of a coaching change after a new GM is hired. If the right coach is chosen Pens go on and do what they did in 2009 and 2016. Coaching change and the new coach puts the right people on the ice with each other and this team has a rocking second half.

First of all, they don't need a new coach. Second of all, those were full 82-game seasons with plenty of leeway to get back in it. There's no staying afloat in a 56-game season. You lose a bunch of games in a row you're done. Particularly when you're losing every single game to your division. There's no piling up points against weak Western Conference teams this year like they have years in the past. And lastly, your perspective that if you think you can't win the cup you shouldn't watch at all is right in line with all the other "fans" on this board. Think before you post.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
First of all, they don't need a new coach. Second of all, those were full 82-game seasons with plenty of leeway to get back in it. There's no staying afloat in a 56-game season. You lose a bunch of games in a row you're done. Particularly when you're losing every single game to your division. There's no piling up points against weak Western Conference teams this year like they have years in the past. And lastly, your perspective that if you think you can't win the cup you shouldn't watch at all is right in line with all the other "fans" on this board. Think before you post.

Do you understand what stay afloat means? Obviously it means stay within range of the 4th team in the division which I think we will be able to do. Also you might be right about not needing a new coach but when a new GM comes in they almost always bring I their own man shortly after. Sullivan will be on a very short lease. Also when did I say I wouldn't watch if I thought we couldn't win the Cup. Big difference from winning a Cup and believing you can't even make the playoffs. You can do what you want with your recreational time. I brought up the Pirates because I wouldn't spend a second of my valuable time watching or supporting them. Really don't know what post your referring to.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pasta is back now, I can't wait for him to embarrass the Pens even more vs the Broons.

Fun.
IDV2g7l.gif

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I feel completely checked out with this team. They don’t seem to care so why should I?
That's the way I've felt for the past 2'ish seasons. Probably explains why I'm not around here as much as I used to be.

I'm waiting for the day where I can watch a game and expect my team to shoot the puck when appropriate instead of drop passing it to nobody. Until then... meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad