Confirmed with Link: The pens pick Taylor Pyatt off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jussi Jokinen and Matt Niskanen are two of the success stories, since nobody has mentioned them. Jokinen literally went through waivers before we got Carolina to eat part of his salary, and Nisky was a cap dump.

It's unlikely Pyatt becomes anything of substance, but it costs us nothing, provides something we can use (size and boardwork in the bottom 6), and could help us plug the dyke until our regular roster forwards get healthy. Hard for anyone to justify why it's a mistake and a failure before it's even been tried. We have nothing to lose.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
By the way, the guy a couple of people said we should have claimed (Konopka) didn't make it past Buffalo. ;)

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well Adam Cracknell is on waivers today. I'm sure Cracknell-Vitale-Sill could be just as fun as Cracknell-Porter-Reaves :laugh:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
who the hell is Adam Cracknell?

He plays(ed) for the Blues. Last season the Blues' 4th line (the CPR line) got a lot of attention because of how aggressive their forechecking was. They didn't score a lot, but they did everything you could possibly want from a fourth line and were really fun to watch.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Robert Lang was a waive wire pick once upon a time. And does anybody remember Randy Robitialle from 10+ years ago? We picked him off waivers, he averaged almost a point a game for the rest of the season, then was never heard from in NHL circles again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So wait...someone tells me I am being contradictory with me saying he's fast...

But Crosby says it's a nice addition because of his speed and size and...

Yeah, good to know people here know their ****.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He plays(ed) for the Blues. Last season the Blues' 4th line (the CPR line) got a lot of attention because of how aggressive their forechecking was. They didn't score a lot, but they did everything you could possibly want from a fourth line and were really fun to watch.

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad option for the 4th line, he's a guy with decent size too (6'1") and yeah the whole puck possession game they played reminded me of how the Staal line used to spend their entire shift just "grinding them *****es down" in the offensive zone. Having a guy that is capable of that wouldn't be that bad, I mean...he couldn't be any worse than Adams.

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
Well Adam Cracknell is on waivers today. I'm sure Cracknell-Vitale-Sill could be just as fun as Cracknell-Porter-Reaves :laugh:

Obviously aware you were joking but Cracknell was decent back in his Ice days. I'm surprised he ever made the NHL, good enough minor league guy though.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So wait...someone tells me I am being contradictory with me saying he's fast...

But Crosby says it's a nice addition because of his speed and size and...

Yeah, good to know people here know their ****.

Yeah, I was expecting Crosby to say, "Really glad Taylor was claimed, we needed more slow players on this team"

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Speaking about Ryan Reaves. If the blues cannot afford to re-sign him, I'd take him on Pittsburgh.

If Glass is gone and Adams sits, I'd like that.

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad option for the 4th line, he's a guy with decent size too (6'1") and yeah the whole puck possession game they played reminded me of how the Staal line used to spend their entire shift just "grinding them *****es down" in the offensive zone. Having a guy that is capable of that wouldn't be that bad, I mean...he couldn't be any worse than Adams.

I agree, I think he's 6'2 though. I mean, if we're going to have a fourth line that doesn't score, I would at least like them to not be trapped in their own zone and be able to frustrate the opposition.

We don't need more fourth liners at this point, but he'd be an upgrade over most of the ones we currently have.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Glass is gone and Adams sits, I'd like that.

I agree, I think he's 6'2 though. I mean, if we're going to have a fourth line that doesn't score, I would at least like them to not be trapped in their own zone and be able to frustrate the opposition.

We don't need more fourth liners at this point, but he'd be an upgrade over most of the ones we currently have.

dude, how can they lead the team in blocked shots if they play in the offensive zone? We need strong defensive players on that 4th line, and blocked shots are the best stat for measuring that. Especially for forwards.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Pyatt used to be a pretty good skater for his size. He's lost that for whatever reason, along with most of the rest of his game. He hasn't always been awful or he wouldn't have almost 900 games under his belt. But that doesn't help us now, we're getting the 2014 Pyatt. Oh well at least he's healthy and has the size not to get ragdolled around like some of our other replacement players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Updated man games lost (as of January 3):

1 Pittsburgh 234
2 Anaheim 202
3 Carolina 189

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-january-3-2014/

Pittsburgh has 14% more MGL than the second team on the list, the Ducks, and 20% more MGL than the third team on the list Carolina.

/thread.

All this *****ing about this pickup, and speculating about how fast he is or not. Really? It is like a street bum asking the salvation army if their food is organic or not. Beggers can not be choosers.

How the **** we are in first place in the conference with this team put together with duct tape and prayers is beyond me. Having Crosby go into God mode and be involved in almost half of all the goals score by this team is a factor. But the rest? I have no clue how they are doing it.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
dude, how can they lead the team in blocked shots if they play in the offensive zone? We need strong defensive players on that 4th line, and blocked shots are the best stat for measuring that. Especially for forwards.

Clearly. Just the thought of Gladams depresses me :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
along with most of the rest of his game. He hasn't always been awful or he wouldn't have almost 900 games under his belt. But that doesn't help us now, we're getting the 2014 Pyatt. Oh well at least he's healthy and has the size not to get ragdolled around like some of our other replacement players.

We really can't criticize a 6'4" 235 lbs player for being slower at age 32. How effective can he be? This team has had its share of anchors. Depends on who he plays with and if they work out with chemistry between them.

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
So far so decent. I like his size, I was wondering if he was slow as he is or if he's just giant. I figured out he's no Bure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad