Confirmed with Link: The pens pick Taylor Pyatt off Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
People are acting like Shero had a trade for Patrick Kane lined up but chose to pick up Pyatt instead. If he doesn't pan out, he doesn't pan out. We lose nothing. Bylsma isn't going to put someone as slow as Pyatt anywhere near an offensive slot so I'm not sure what everyone is so worried about. Once we're healthy he's going to have to justify his cap hit and odds are he'll be on waivers again. He's a band-aid.

I don't think that's it. I think picking up Pyatt is a few things.

1) It's pretty desperate because since he's been injured he's been a bum.

2) The more alarming thing to me is that we lose our top 4 defensemen and it was no problem. We have defensemen coming out of our ass to plug in here or there and all young top quality guys. We lose a few forwards and we are ****ed to the point of picking up some **** guy from the scrapheaps.

I'm wondering when Shero is going to understand that we only play 6 defensemen a game and 12 forwards and we'd probably want to have the ratio of quality prospects who can step in and play a little more skewed to the forward side. :shakehead

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm 100% okay with this. People act like he's going to be in the top 6. He's a winger with size for the 3rd line. Can't be any worse than Chris ******* Conner.
Right. He's basically a bigger Kobasew. He'll be hardly noticed and that's both good and bad. He's a warm body until some of the injured forwards get back.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'm wondering when Shero is going to understand that we only play 6 defensemen a game and 12 forwards and we'd probably want to have the ratio of quality prospects who can step in and play a little more skewed to the forward side. :shakehead

Sure.... but he can't very well draft anyone now :laugh: .

Obviously everyone agrees with you that our depth at forward is completely laughable at forward comapred to D, and certainly it asks questions of Shero that this discrepancy is so pronounced. We've been justifiably *****ing about that all year.

But now it just happens that we have 6 forwards or so out with injury including the WBS guys, and a guy who has had some success as a defensively reliable 3rd line forward who some times chips in offensively is available on waivers.... a guy who brings some size to a forward group that really, really needs it.

Pyatt has had some rough years.... who knows.... maybe The Family will help him re-kindle the fire....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sure.... but he can't very well draft anyone now :laugh: .

Obviously everyone agrees with you that our depth at forward is completely laughable at forward comapred to D, and certainly it asks questions of Shero that this discrepancy is so pronounced. We've been justifiably *****ing about that all year.

But now it just happens that we have 6 forwards or so out with injury including the WBS guys, and a guy who has had some success as a defensively reliable 3rd line forward who some times chips in offensively is available on waivers.... a guy who brings some size to a forward group that really, really needs it.

Pyatt has had some rough years.... who knows.... maybe The Family will help him re-kindle the fire....

Wouldn't be the first time. But to read this thread, you'd think the Pens end up with a Boychuk every time they pick a struggling player off the scrap heap.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This was the Pens lineup against Columbus this week (and honestly pretty much the same thing all year):

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Joe Vitale
Chris Conner - Jussi Jokinen - James Neal
Harry Zolnierczyk - Brandon Sutter - Chuck Kobasew
Tanner Glass - Zach Sill - Craig Adams

Brooks Orpik - Deryk Engelland
Matt Niskanen - Olli Maatta
Robert Bortuzzo - Simon Despres

Jeff Zatkoff

/thread.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As a Rangers fan all I can tell you is there was a belief in some quarters that Pyatt was in possession of some pictures, tapes or evidence of a very compromising nature to someone very highly placed in the Rangers organization--maybe more than just one someone.

I could never figure out what he exactly did to keep a spot in the lineup night after night. He hardly ever scored. He didn't PK and the way he skated I didn't want to see him PK'ing. He hit some--but they were never memorable hits. More like 'excuse me--I didn't mean it' hits. Basically he was just out there to give our mediocre scorers a breather 10 to 15 minutes a game and if the other team didn't score while he was on the ice in any particular game then everything was pretty much a wash because we weren't going to score. To be honest the player he reminded me the most of was Jeff Toms--I always thought of him as 'Tominator II'.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
2) The more alarming thing to me is that we lose our top 4 defensemen and it was no problem. We have defensemen coming out of our ass to plug in here or there and all young top quality guys. We lose a few forwards and we are ****ed to the point of picking up some **** guy from the scrapheaps.

A few?

Connor
Ebbets
Bennett
Megna
Dupuis
Malkin

are all out right now.

Blitzburgh87*

bylsma1_330.jpg

Somebody had to do it...

:( I'm scared to see the pregame lineup.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And 3 of those guys are actual NHL players right now. So yes, a few.

Which is irrelevant since the point was that he was picked up only after a few guys were hurt. It took 6 injuries for it to happen, end of story. It doesnt matter how good those 6 players are.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Which is irrelevant since the point was that he was picked up only after a few guys were hurt. It took 6 injuries for it to happen, end of story. It doesnt matter how good those 6 players are.

So if we had 12 forwards out, we should expect a $2.5-5 million player who sucks to be claimed off waivers.

At no time is it a good idea to pick up a $1.5 million player who sucks. AT. NO. TIME.

Zero goals, one assist in 22 games. 11 healthy scratches in the last 15 games.

Tonight, third line.

Fire Shero*

So if we had 12 forwards out, we should expect a $2.5-5 million player who sucks to be claimed off waivers.

At no time is it a good idea to pick up a $1.5 million player who sucks. AT. NO. TIME.

Zero goals, one assist in 22 games. 11 healthy scratches in the last 15 games.

Tonight, third line.

The saddest thing about this is that he will likely play better than Jokinen, Kobasew, Glass, Adams, Sill and the other clowns like Conner and Gibbons.

We have way too many fringe NHL players. It's crazy to think how many of these regulars don't belong in the NHL.

There's no reason to have so much garbage, even when healthy.

Kobasew, Glass, Adams are every day players. How is that acceptable on a contender?

But but but they are good PKers.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
The saddest thing about this is that he will likely play better than Jokinen, Kobasew, Glass, Adams, Sill and the other clowns like Conner and Gibbons.

We have way too many fringe NHL players. It's crazy to think how many of these regulars don't belong in the NHL.

Kobasew, Glass, Adams are every day players. How is that acceptable on a contender?

Why do you keep mentioning Sill as a player that doesn't belong on the team? He has been solid as a fourth-line forward. He is good on the penalty kill, and in the faceoff circle. He brings a physical game as well. And, the guy is a great middleweight fighter that doesn't back down from any player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I'm not convinced that Pyatt's better than anybody on our current roster. Including the worst player in the NHL (currently), Craig Adams.

AND, he's so big it'll be THAT much easier to crap all over him because it will be noticeably bad. Remember Eric Tangradi? He couldn't hide, and neither will Pyatt.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not convinced that Pyatt's better than anybody on our current roster. Including the worst player in the NHL (currently), Craig Adams.

AND, he's so big it'll be THAT much easier to crap all over him because it will be noticeably bad. Remember Eric Tangradi? He couldn't hide, and neither will Pyatt.

you might be right. how about we watch him play his first shift before we make our minds up?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Why do you keep mentioning Sill as a player that doesn't belong on the team? He has been solid as a fourth-line forward. He is good on the penalty kill, and in the faceoff circle. He brings a physical game as well. And, the guy is a great middleweight fighter that doesn't back down from any player.

and its hard to complain about Conner as a call-up option.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We have 3 guys that I think would improve our team simply by being gone: Glass, Adams and Kobasew. Jokinen is close, but I think his position flexibility, 2nd unit powerplay ability and depth scoring make him at least an acceptable 3rd liner when we are healthy.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
you might be right. how about we watch him play his first shift before we make our minds up?
True.

I expect him to play decent in the next few games due to adrenaline/change of scenery. It is after he settles in that worries me. I believe at that point we'll just have another Glass, at a 400k higher cap hit, who inexplicably finds his way into the lineup.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Cal O'Reilly :yo:

Chris Bourque. Mike Comrie. Chuck Kobasew. Matt D'Agostini. Now Taylor Pyatt. That's what you get in a capped league when you have to spend a lot on a few superstars and can't/won't draft and develop enough forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad