The Penguins have 4 regulation wins in 20 games.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What does PIT do?
No 1st, pressure to compete now with Crosby, Letang and Malkin still in the mix but they also need to be developing guys for the future and eventual re-tool/re-build

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Penguins have looked very bad in the regular season many, many times since around the ~2015-2016 season. Almost every year in fact. Then at some point one of Crosby or Malkin - or both - get super hot and they look like world beaters again.

They don't look good so far this year. We'll see if they can turn it around again.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
What does PIT do?
No 1st, pressure to compete now with Crosby, Letang and Malkin still in the mix but they also need to be developing guys for the future and eventual re-tool/re-build

If I were them I'd take the PR hit from fans and try to get as much as I could for those 3 guys and do a full rebuild. I don't think they're winning another championship with them so might as well accelerate the rebuild/retool rather than go through a long overhaul like Detroit. That'll never happen though.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
What does PIT do?

What Pittsburgh always do, sell off anything of value and tank for the next big thing.

A little Owen Power, some Shane Wright, a dash of Matvei Michkov and they’ll be on their way.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If I were them I'd take the PR hit from fans and try to get as much as I could for those 3 guys and do a full rebuild. I don't think they're winning another championship with them so might as well accelerate the rebuild/retool rather than go through a long overhaul like Detroit. That'll never happen though.

I dont see them selling all 3, maybe one (Letang) this trade deadline and then possibly Malkin in offseason if he wants out and doesn't see a quick re-tool working out.

Crosby you keep for mentoring role and he likely retires a Penguin unless he also asks out which I don't see, seems like a Yzerman type to only play with one team.

they could recoup that 1st + for Letang and keep promoting some tweener guys but they are going to struggle going all in which burns re-tool funds or tanking as they're still good enough to be in that dreaded 10th to 15th range.

What Pittsburgh always do, sell off anything of value and tank for the next big thing.

A little Owen Power, some Shane Wright, a dash of Matvei Michkov and they’ll be on their way.

Can they be bad enough to land a top 5 pick?
I don't see it, they likely fall into the 10th to 15th range unless they trade both Letang and Malkin this year which seems unlikely.

Reactions: ClydeLee

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
They have had a great run,if its over ....But the sun does appear to be low on the horizon on this core for sure

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Tell me about it. This team it’s so frustrating to cheer against. How many times are they going to come from behind to steal 2 points?
That's the weird thing. That stat is actually slightly more impressive than it looks on the surface because they're never f***ing winning after the 2nd period.

Like, they've gone into practically every 3rd period losing or tied and we somehow have 4 regulation wins? That's downright shocking

If they figure out that the 1st period isn't just a warm-up exhibition, they'll likely start getting a lot more regulation wins

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

A long overhaul is inevitable. Their top guys are still reasonably young and they could still contend with a minor retool. Trading their core at this point would be really premature, in my opinion.

Five years from now, to give them one last opportunity at a cup? Maybe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're not a good team. General mishmash of players that don't fit well together with an aging core that's not what it was in the past.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
A long overhaul is inevitable. Their top guys are still reasonably young and they could still contend with a minor retool. Trading their core at this point would be really premature, in my opinion.

Five years from now, to give them one last opportunity at a cup? Maybe.

Why? The amount of legit prospects/young players they could get from teams in win-now mode for Crosby, Malkin and Letang would easily expedite the rebuild, and without even needing to rely as much on their own scouts to make sure they hit on the picks. If they traded those 3 away, yeah a couple years missing the playoffs would be a given but I think they could pretty easily avoid a long overhaul by getting a ton of assets for those guys. Whereas the Red Wings dynasty just fizzled out and now they're going on 5 years missing the playoffs and that'll likely wind up being at least 6 or 7 years.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Some weird stuff. EDM and NSH have yet to play an OT game. CAR has won 10 straight shootouts going back who knows how long.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why? The amount of legit prospects/young players they could get from teams in win-now mode for Crosby, Malkin and Letang would easily expedite the rebuild, and without even needing to rely as much on their own scouts to make sure they hit on the picks. If they traded those 3 away, yeah a couple years missing the playoffs would be a given but I think they could pretty easily avoid a long overhaul by getting a ton of assets for those guys. Whereas the Red Wings dynasty just fizzled out and now they're going on 5 years missing the playoffs and that'll likely wind up being at least 6 or 7 years.

You're not getting a ton of assets in 2021 for any of those 3 in a hard cap league. Age, term, movement clauses, none of them desperate to win a Cup before they retire, other team's cap space. It all works against the Pens. They could move them, but for some imagined haul that would set the Pens up for the next decade? No.

Reactions: sanscosm

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
JR's parting gift. His gambling and throwing shit at a wall to see what sticks strategy stopped working after 2017 but at least it got them two more Cups.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The Pens were also tied or trailing going into the third in most of these games. The team is weird as hell this year. Looks incredibly good in OT and shootouts, lots of comebacks in the third period, yet totally lost in most second periods, on the PP and on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad