The Pacific Division... Looks Bad.

Feb 24, 2017
Las Vegas being this good surprised everyone.
San Jose, LA, Anaheim, and Calgary are all fairly close to where they were expected to be.
Vancouver and Arizona were never going to do anything.
Edmonton being this bad surprised everyone.

In any case, the division isn't really weak compared to the rest of the league. The two Eastern divisions either have no President's Trophy candidates (Metro) or a really crappy basement (Atlantic). The Central is the only division that's really a cut above, and even then it's not anywhere close to the slugfest that the Metro was last year.
Edmonton being this bad surprised people who thought the avs wouldn’t regress after that year a few back.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh yeah, and sorry about that I forgot Vancouver. When Boeser and Horvat are both healthy look out. Edler has played some amazing D this year as well. They are not an easy win either.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
It's easy to get pts when you can beat up on the Canucks, Oilers, coyotes.. If sharks and ducks were in the metro full time then they wouldn't be in the playoffs.
Do you even do any research before you post this stuff. Like maybe checking how many "easy" points the teams you mentioned actually got from say the Oilers (one of the teams you mentioned)? Or the amount of these "teams to beat up on" in the east compared to west? Is there actually even such think in the NHL as easy wins for one because from what I watch any team can win on nightly bases.

I mean let's take Washington for example I'm assuming you are a fan
1-1Lost to Vancouver
1-1 Arizona
1-1 Ducks
0-2Lost all games against Calgary
0-2Lost all games againat the kings
0-2Lost all games against Vegas
2-0 Oilers shootout win
2-0 sharks
one win was a ot win can't remember which team to 2 betman points against them as well

7 wins and 9 losses that's only a 0.437 winning percentage not very good. Unless you plan on being a lottery team I guess.
Do you kind of get where I'm going with this ?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Well an expansion team is winning and is going to clinch the divison.

I'd say its overall better then the Atlantic even with the the Atlantic having 2-3 cup contenders.

The bad teams in the Pacific can get better sooner then the bad teams in the Atlantic will.

I wouldn't wanna play the Ducks in a 7 game series, but they looked absolutely atrocious versus Vancouver tonight.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Flames&Oilers are like brothers:

- garbage coaching. Todd McL and GG are stubborn morons, unable to adapt, pick the right players/combos for each line and they mishandle young talent (Pulju/Bennett).

- zero depth, both teams rely on top three forwards to produce 99.9% of offense (McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Johnny, Monohan, Tkachuk)

- two worst PP coaches in the league. Your call who is worse, Woodcroft or Cameron.

- two of the worst UFA signings in recent memory Lucic/ Brouwer wasting valuable cap space

- inconsistent starters, Talbot/Smith are either red hot or ice cold, nothing in between. Shaky young backups

- Klefbom/Brodie completely crapped the bed

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Vegas would lead the metro
Sharks would be tied for 2nd in metro
Ducks would be tied for 3rd metro
Kings are in a wild card and would own a wild card in the east
Calgary would own a wild card in the east

If sharks have 1 more win they are tied for 3rd in central
Metros 1st place team would be 4th in the Atlantic
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying
It doesn't necessarily translate like that.
They'd be playing the teams in that division 4x, not the teams in the Pacific 4x.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
It doesn't necessarily translate like that.
They'd be playing the teams in that division 4x, not the teams in the Pacific 4x.
I get what you are trying to say but take a step back for a sec and think about what we are talking about. Kooz was saying that the pacific was so bad and easy to get points in, and the big bad metro was so tough. So I took the leader of the metro and put them into the "easy points" Pacific using games they played against them which we can call "facts" and they have a losing record, but I'm sure one could twist and scew stats all kinds of ways to fit any type of narative you want here because it's such a bold broad statement. The fact of the matter is the pacific isn't as bad as the thread title suggest. In the NHL not much separates the bottoms team from the top it's not like basketball and any team can win on any given night. All I wanted to do with my post/posts is disprove some extremely bold statements posted on here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I get what you are trying to say but take a step back for a sec and think about what we are talking about. Kooz was saying that the pacific was so bad and easy to get points in, and the big bad metro was so tough. So I took the leader of the metro and put them into the "easy points" Pacific using games they played against them which we can call "facts" and they have a losing record, but I'm sure one could twist and scew stats all kinds of ways to fit any type of narative you want here because it's such a bold broad statement. The fact of the matter is the pacific isn't as bad as the thread title suggest. In the NHL not much separates the bottoms team from the top it's not like basketball and any team can win on any given night. All I wanted to do with my post/posts is disprove some extremely bold statements posted on here.
My bad, I thought you were just using points on the year and then slotted them into the other divisions.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
My bad, I thought you were just using points on the year and then slotted them into the other divisions.
It's all good it's just such a tough topic to make bold statements about. The way the NHL is set up there is weaker teams for sure but they are in all divisions and both conferences they change from year to year and even from beginning to end of seasons hot streaks cold streaks whatever you will. I don't believe there is any easy walk to the playoffs there is just too much talent and it's such a team game. I'm mean you yes there is divisions that are more top heavy with team success and there is divisions with the success spread out a bit more. Another thing to consider is conferences and teams in the same conference but different divisions still play them 3 to 4 times a year I do believe. I'm not saying teams like Van Arizona Buff Montreal Ottawa Detroit have a equal chance at winning against the top teams in the league every night just they aren't exactly "given" points and both conferences have these teams.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For fun.

Points% over 82 games:

Metro against the Pacific
1. NYR, 123 points
2. NYI, 108
3. Pit, 97
4. Phi, 92
5, Clb, 82
6. NJ, 82
7. Car, 82
8. Was, 77

Pacific against the Metro
1. Ana, 118
2. Cal, 98
3. LA, 97
4. Vegas, 87
5. Van, 87
6. SJ, 82
7. Edm, 77
8. Ari, 67

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I would be Calling it the Norris Division of Today if it were not for The Golden Knights. The Sharks are 2nd and would be 5th in The Central Division. The Bottom 3 Teams don't even have 60 Points Yet (Oilers, Canucks, Coyotes). What is with the Pacific? The Oilers were supposed to be a Good Team, The Flames were too (though they technically still are). This looked like to be an average, maybe even better division this year.
What happened?

.... because all divisions should have the exact same point totals, from game 1 thru game 82

:facepalm:

Reactions: Legionnaire

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's easy to get pts when you can beat up on the Canucks, Oilers, coyotes.. If sharks and ducks were in the metro full time then they wouldn't be in the playoffs.

The Sharks were competing with Calgary, Anaheim, and LA for playoff spots. They are 10-1-1 against those teams with 7 regulation wins. If you look at each of those games as 4 point games, where they can earn 2 points, and also take 2 points away from the opponent (so a regulation win would be 4 points, an OT/SO win would be 3 points, OT/SO loss 1 point, regulation loss 0 points), they earned 38 of a possible 48 points.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad