The Out of Town Thread XCIX- We talk about your team here. (Mod Warning post 468)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The 1st time I did the generator I got Florida. :cry:

I tried it again and got Toronto. :help:

I then decided to find out how many times I'd have to play to have all the teams win once.

79 presses for the Kings to finally win. Dallas was 73.

In the first 10 though Toronto came up 3 times. The most of any team. By the end, Arizona had won the most with 14, Buffalo had 11, Toronto 10. Surprisingly, the Sharks were 5th with 7 wins.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Still don't understand why the NHL is only making 1 winner. They should run the lottery until your ball comes up. That way they wouldn't reward Buffalo with a worst-case scenario of picking #2 overall. For instance, say Arizona wins #1 overall, then we keep the lottery going and perhaps San Jose comes up #2, Toronto #3 and so on. Wouldn't reward teams like Buffalo that did their best to field the worst team possible this year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Still don't understand why the NHL is only making 1 winner. They should run the lottery until your ball comes up. That way they wouldn't reward Buffalo with a worst-case scenario of picking #2 overall. For instance, say Arizona wins #1 overall, then we keep the lottery going and perhaps San Jose comes up #2, Toronto #3 and so on. Wouldn't reward teams like Buffalo that did their best to field the worst team possible this year.
Tanking is wrong...........but how to fix it?

A lottery every year, where all 30 teams get a chance at #1?

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal

It will be this way next year the top 3.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Tanking is wrong...........but how to fix it?

A lottery every year, where all 30 teams get a chance at #1?

I'd suggest an auction, probably the most efficient way to allocate ressources in that instance. That being said, unlikely to work in real life in the NHL.

However, simply doing like I suggested earlier would eliminate some tanking. Even though your odds are still better if you finish last, they're not that much better than finishing 6th to last or whatever. Also, it's no guarantee you'll be picking at worse #2 overall. The NHL didn't eliminate the incentive to finish last. If anything they made it worse by simply picking 1 winner in the lottery and the worst-case scenario for Buffalo was now picking Eichel at 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad