The Out of Town Thread XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Oilers lose 1-0 in OT. Forsberg scores.

Crazy OT though. OT penalty shot for the Oilers (Weber covered puck in crease) and Rinne stopped Eberle. Just before the winning goal an Oiler stepped on a discarded stick in the slot in the Preds zone killing what looked like a great Oiler scoring chance, fell and the Preds went the other way on a 3 on 1. They didn't score on that rush but on the zone pressure in the Oilers zone the Preds hit 2 posts behind Fasth before Forsberg scored on a shot Fasth would like to have back I'm sure.

That was so disappointing. Looked like the Oil were rocking out of the gates, and rocking coming into overtime, but you could just feel that those posts in quick succession were going to rustle them up the wrong way. Still can't believe Eberle didn't score on that PS to keep the game out of OT, though. And that "defense" by Hall that let Forsberg spin off and score was simply :shakehead . I know they were all tired, but come on.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
That was so disappointing. Looked like the Oil were rocking out of the gates, and rocking coming into overtime, but you could just feel that those posts in quick succession were going to rustle them up the wrong way. Still can't believe Eberle didn't score on that PS to keep the game out of OT, though. And that "defense" by Hall that let Forsberg spin off and score was simply :shakehead . I know they were all tired, but come on.

The penalty shot was in OT

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Ah yhea.

The good old "one more high-pick skilled player with make Edmonton reach sudden critical mass and turn from absolute losers to winners" argument.

Also known as the "Edmonton Fallacy"

I Wouldn't worry to much about Edmonton in 2015 or 2016 but look out for them after that!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Guillaume Lefrançois ‏@glefrancoisLP 30m30 minutes ago
#Habs Peter Budaj n'a toujours pas de victoire dans la LAH (0-3-3, moyenne de 3,58, efficacité de ,891) (1 de 2)

Sad to say his career is pretty much over. Good guy but right move to trade him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
#Habs Peter Budaj n'a toujours pas de victoire dans la LAH (0-3-3, moyenne de 3,58, efficacité de ,891) (1 de 2)

Sad to say his career is pretty much over. Good guy but right move to trade him.
Seemed to lose his confidence last year...and then MT going with Toker in the playoffs would not have helped...seemed like a great guy while in Montreal....

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

I wouldn't blame him for not trying too hard on the Rock after being in the NHL for so long. I know it's not the right thing to say/do, but we're all human after all...

Those numbers are not indicative of his talent IMO.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Sad for him, but he did manage to have a decent career. He played for a long time, was even kind of a starter in Colorado once upon a time.

Still a young guy though, 32 years old. Only 2 years old than me... Goes to show you that as glamorous as pro sports are, you can have a really short career, and it isn't easy to find something else afterwards when you have no other skills.

Yeah a lot of these guys make hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, but if you're forced to retire at 32 with $2 million in the bank, you're going to have to work hard to make that money last another 50+ years (especially with inflation).

And this is a guy who HAD a decent career. I really feel bad for those who never made really made it, or had injuries. A guy like Dan Blackburn, forced to retire in his 20's due to injuries... Not easy man, not easy at all.

I find Montrealers in general aren't sympathetic to those who have millions of dollars, but that money doesn't last very long.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's a little sad to see him go out like that but hey, he's had a good career, has made $10M in his career and lived the life of Bryan for a decade. Not bad. Now back to Europe to play a few more years at a good salary and then retire. If given the choice, I'd take that!

Anyways, wish him the best, he always seemed like a class act and the consummate teammate.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
It's a little sad to see him go out like that but hey, he's had a good career, has made $10M in his career and lived the life of Bryan for a decade. Not bad. Now back to Europe to play a few more years at a good salary and then retire. If given the choice, I'd take that!

Anyways, wish him the best, he always seemed like a class act and the consummate teammate.

He will be a starter in Europe and do well for five or more years.

picodon

Mar 24, 2011
Toulouse, FRA
Yeah a lot of these guys make hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, but if you're forced to retire at 32 with $2 million in the bank, you're going to have to work hard to make that money last another 50+ years (especially with inflation).

Yeah, he's going to have to work hard... like everyone else... SO WHAT ???
There's lots of people out there who have no special skillset, yet work everyday... :nod:

I find Montrealers in general aren't sympathetic to those who have millions of dollars, but that money doesn't last very long.
If they don't make millions of dollars last, it's because they have been stupid and/or negligent, not saving or investing anything, like they should do. They KNOW that their career might stop at any point. Come on, even a guy like Budaj - not a major player in the NHL - has made 10 million dollars during his career. And that's not enough to last ????

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And this is a guy who HAD a decent career. I really feel bad for those who never made really made it, or had injuries. A guy like Dan Blackburn, forced to retire in his 20's due to injuries... Not easy man, not easy at all.

Always sad when someone gets injured, esp. so early. However, as a consolation prize, he got to play the game. Main thing is that he doesn't have injuries that impact him off the ice over the rest of his life. Some of us never got a real chance to play the game at these levels, so at least he has that.

Your dollar goes a long way in a city like Montreal. It's difficult to generalize, but I'd be tempted to think that we're a lot less forgiving about dirty money and those who have money and squander it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Don't know that his career is necessarily over, but goalie injuries at the NHL level have helped revive or continue many a career.

Interesting how some forum users were still on the fence about the Budaj vs. Tokarski sweepstakes in the pre-season.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good start by Halak. Still believes St.Louis gave up on him way too soon. He is a good goalie. What needs to be known is his consistency and how he could sustain a heavy workload. But he is a fine goalie.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Good start by Halak. Still believes St.Louis gave up on him way too soon. He is a good goalie. What needs to be known is his consistency and how he could sustain a heavy workload. But he is a fine goalie.

I don't think anyone ever said he wasn't a good goalie, it's more the question of if he's a number one goalie - for exactly the reasons you stated. Still too soon to tell but he's got the reins in NYI, let's see what he does with them.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

He's got Vezina like numbers right now, great for him he really deserves it, NYI are a threat to watch right now, Boychuk might actually want to resign there at the end of the day. Miller's doing pretty well in Vancity too, some teams are just really tough on goalies for some reason.

I cant believe Halak never really got a shot in the playoffs with the Blues, he only played in two PO games since leaving MTL and did really good posting a 1,73 GAA and 0,935 sv %.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, he's going to have to work hard... like everyone else... SO WHAT ???
There's lots of people out there who have no special skillset, yet work everyday... :nod:

What do you mean "so what?"

So what? So it's going to suck balls for them. Or do you just not give a **** about other people?

I don't know how many hockey players you know... Some will be ok, others are pretty dumb and are borderline high school educated. You think it's easy having to start over in your 30's? When you have kids and family and obligations?

If they don't make millions of dollars last, it's because they have been stupid and/or negligent, not saving or investing anything, like they should do. They KNOW that their career might stop at any point. Come on, even a guy like Budaj - not a major player in the NHL - has made 10 million dollars during his career. And that's not enough to last ????

I would take $100,000 a year, adjusted for inflation, until I'm 65 years old over $2,000,000 in my pocket right now but with no job or prospects. It's not about being stupid or not knowing how to manage money. Explain to me how you would make $2,000,000 last from the age of 30 until 90.

Always sad when someone gets injured, esp. so early. However, as a consolation prize, he got to play the game. Main thing is that he doesn't have injuries that impact him off the ice over the rest of his life. Some of us never got a real chance to play the game at these levels, so at least he has that.

Well Blackburn has a pretty serious, permanent injury that handicaps him in everyday life and prevents him from ever playing again. I know what you're saying, but a guy like Blackburn has been in hockey since he was a kid... It's all he's ever known. And from the age of 15, basically, hockey is your whole life. You miss out on education, you miss out of networking, you miss out on proper emotional and social development... These guys from a very young age do not have normal lives. They don't grow up the same way as you or me. So all of that suddenly being over at 30 with no support whatsoever isn't easy, at all.

Your dollar goes a long way in a city like Montreal. It's difficult to generalize, but I'd be tempted to think that we're a lot less forgiving about dirty money and those who have money and squander it.

I find that there's a culture in this city of resentment over anyone who's successful. It is VERY hard to be wealthy in Quebec. Hell, it's hard to be wealthy anywhere, but especially here. We make less money here and the jobs aren't necessarily the same. So I find most people are especially resentful towards people who have big money, even if they busted their ass to get it.

It's like, "you have no reason to complain about anything, because you're rich". Upset about high taxes? "Who cares! You're rich, you have nothing to complain about!" It's a bit ridiculous... Going off topic, but until you come to a day where you have to give the government a cheque for hundreds of thousands, or millions of dollars, you just can't understand. It's ****ing gutting.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Can't stand St.Louis and his ego.

Grats on your 100th point you bitter midget!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Can't stand St.Louis and his ego.

Grats on your 100th point you bitter midget!

I like him a little because he helps Pacioretty train in the off-season which has made him a much better player and skater. Other than that, I also disliked how it ended in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad