The Out of Town Thread part XLVII All talk from around the league here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Connolly will be with the Marlies. The Leafs are keeping Orr up. Mike Kostka too. They also sent down Frattin. Blatant tank job is obvious. :sarcasm:

Leland Irving will be the Flames backup after-all.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The Toronto Maple Leafs no longer seem like a probable trading partner for Roberto Luongo.
The Canucks and Maple Leafs were reportedly working on a proposal that involved Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak, and a second round pick at one point. However, Toronto went out of its way to make room on the roster for Kadri by trading Matthew Lombardi and waiving Tim Connolly. New Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis might also recently stated "I’m not going to give up youth for older players." It seems like Toronto is committed to a youth movement that doesn't mesh well with the concept of training some of their young talent for a 33-year-old goaltender.

Rielly sent back to the dub. Good move by Nonis.
Both good moves IMHO. I don't think they need to go too hard on Luongo. I've seen impressive moments from all of Riemer, Scrivens, and Rynnas. Not that you can say any of them are ready now to be big time NHL starters or anything. But they're legit prospects in goal, at least. And the team is rolling in money all the time anyway, so if there's ever a team that really doesn't need to reach for success in a 48-game half-season, the Leafs are probably that. Expectations are not high. Backstrom, Howard, Smith... there are a cast of potential free agent goalies coming. If you don't absolutely need to chain yourself to Luongo's lengthy contract and give up young assets in the process, don't do it. Sadly, Leafs seem to recognize this.

And Rielly is another guy who is just flat out not ready at 18. And also showed below expectations at the WJC, hey! It's smart SOP to let him continue to play in junior.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NYI claim Brian Strait from PIT.

WPG claims James Wright from FLA.

Only players on waivers today: McElhinney (CBJ), Butler (NJD), C Porter (STL).

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Well, there it is. Wade Redden a STL Blue. Hearing 1 year deal, $800K base salary with GP bonuses that could make it $1M tota

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Must be because he is from Newark, right?:shakehead

Tryout Mathieu Darche hasn't signed with the New Jersey Devils yet, but he might soon.
The Devils waived Bobby Butler Friday and that will open up a spot on their roster once he clears. Darche had five goals and seven assists in 61 games with the Montreal Canadiens this season.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
As many as 6 including #devils #canes #isles "@SunGarrioch: Not sure how many teams are in on UFA S. Gomez but #sharks have tendered offer."

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
DansLesCoulisses ‏@DLCoulisses
Nick Kypreos confirme que les Devils ont déposé une offre à Gomez. Le sort de Mathieu Darche - qui doit attendre - lié à Scott Gomez?

Habtchum*

Must be because he is from Newark, right?:shakehead

Tryout Mathieu Darche hasn't signed with the New Jersey Devils yet, but he might soon.
The Devils waived Bobby Butler Friday and that will open up a spot on their roster once he clears. Darche had five goals and seven assists in 61 games with the Montreal Canadiens this season.

Perfect depth player.

Habtchum*

DansLesCoulisses ‏@DLCoulisses
Nick Kypreos confirme que les Devils ont déposé une offre à Gomez. Le sort de Mathieu Darche - qui doit attendre - lié à Scott Gomez?

Poor Darche.:cry:

Gomez will sign and come back to beat the Habs.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing NJ, Car, SJ and Ana among some teams that have inquired about Gomez...

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Both good moves IMHO. I don't think they need to go too hard on Luongo. I've seen impressive moments from all of Riemer, Scrivens, and Rynnas. Not that you can say any of them are ready now to be big time NHL starters or anything. But they're legit prospects in goal, at least. And the team is rolling in money all the time anyway, so if there's ever a team that really doesn't need to reach for success in a 48-game half-season, the Leafs are probably that. Expectations are not high. Backstrom, Howard, Smith... there are a cast of potential free agent goalies coming. If you don't absolutely need to chain yourself to Luongo's lengthy contract and give up young assets in the process, don't do it. Sadly, Leafs seem to recognize this.

And Rielly is another guy who is just flat out not ready at 18. And also showed below expectations at the WJC, hey! It's smart SOP to let him continue to play in junior.

His skating and passing is already at an NHL level according to Carlyle but he's just a pup, he's only 18, physically he needs to get bigger. Some of my fellow Leaf fans wanted him kept on the team but we all saw what happened to Schenn when you rush a kid after having a great camp. I don't understand why people want prospects rushed so much. Kadri was drafted in 09 and he's just now getting his first real shot on the big club. It takes time. Rielly is going to be a special player for us, it's just going to take a couple of years.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Can confirm multiple reports that Devils are among teams that have expressed interest in Gomez. Don't know how serious that interest is.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
It sounds like Gomez could sign somewhere before the end of the day.

Anton Tibaldi ‏@antontibaldi
#Ducks apparently no longer in the Gomez hunt. Rakell looks to be staying. Great hands/vision but will be in tough to stick past 5 games

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
With the flames centre depth they must be going after Gomez. What a dismal situation that organization is in. Backlund, Tanguay, Cervenka and Stajan are their best "centres", it is a wonder Iginla hasn't just walked away.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
With the flames centre depth they must be going after Gomez. What a dismal situation that organization is in. Backlund, Tanguay, Cervenka and Stajan are their best "centres", it is a wonder Iginla hasn't just walked away.

so let them add another awesome centre to the list of impressive centres they already have. great idea.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In that fn Leafs v Habs thread all the clowns were saying that Rielly would have an instant impact. That he'd be Karlsson-like on the power play, etc... And here we are with the exact opposite happening.

Leafs fans are the poster boys for Stockholm Syndrome.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I found this on Yakupov's twitter...no comment necessary.

BA8BjndCAAAl8ss.jpg

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
How much did Kulikov get on his 2 year RFA deal? Any numbers yet?
$2M + $3M... that and the Del Zotto deals really landed below the previous round (see Fowler, Carlson). I'm sure that Meehan will say those are anomalies and not comparable. But, you know, it's two in a row now tipping more to management's favour.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
$2M + $3M... that and the Del Zotto deals really landed below the previous round (see Fowler, Carlson). I'm sure that Meehan will say those are anomalies and not comparable. But, you know, it's two in a row now tipping more to management's favour.

Yeah I saw the Kulikov amount in the PK thread earlier.. Very good deal for Florida.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I would do Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd for Luongo in a heartbeat if I were Toronto. Luongo isn't perfect but he's still getting ridiculously undervalued because his large (but not, evidently, unmoveable) contract.

As for Toronto, who cares about a youth movement if you can't stop pucks? Didn't they go with a "youth movement" last year with Reimer/Scrivens/Rynnas? How did that work out?

Totally agree with you. Very happy if this is true (that they we're unwilling to make that trade). Vancouver could ask for more IMO. Kadri is definitely going to be good, but Luongo would make the Leafs MUCHHHHH better. I am not a huge fan of Luongo in that I was pissing my pants during the gold medal game, and the finals...:banghead:, but to the Leafs, he'd be golden. I guess the decision will have it's day when we see how Reimer or Scrivens do. I think the latter has a better shot at actually becoming a legit no. 1. I suppose you can always luck out through FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad