The Out of Town Thread part XLVII All talk from around the league here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Clowe with 35 min in penalties racked up on his way to the dressing room already (think I saw Gomez serving the minutes). Good night, lol.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Last year I didn't think St-Louis could compete for the cup. I perceived them to be a well-balanced team, a regular season overachiever that lacked the superstar power necessary to excel in the post-season.

Not anymore. Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are really, really, good. Vladimir Tarasenko gives them that star power they were previously lacking on offense. Chris Stewart may also be bouncing back. They are now the complete package in my opinion, the latest example of a successful rebuild.

The Chris Stewart + Shattenkirk for Erik Johnson trade may go down as one of the more lopsided trades of NHL history. Shattenkirk is beast.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Last year I didn't think St-Louis could compete for the cup. I perceived them to be a well-balanced team, a regular season overachiever that lacked the superstar power necessary to excel in the post-season.

Not anymore. Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are really, really, good. Vladimir Tarasenko gives them that star power they were previously lacking on offense. They are now the complete package in my opinion, the latest example of a successful rebuild.

The problem is their goalies are wild cards. We all know what Halak is capable of in the playoffs, and few have an easier job than he does with that ridiculous puck possession, but he's either great or below average and never in between.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The problem is their goalies are wild cards. We all know what Halak is capable of in the playoffs, and few have an easier job than he does with that ridiculous puck possession, but he's either great or below average and never in between.

It's hard to be a goalie when you can go 7 minutes without seeing a shot, you can get rusty or bored.

With such an amazing team, they may not need a standout Halak. Remember the 2010 Blackhawks?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Not anymore. Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are really, really, good. Vladimir Tarasenko gives them that star power they were previously lacking on offense. Chris Stewart may also be bouncing back. They are now the complete package in my opinion, the latest example of a successful rebuild.

The Chris Stewart + Shattenkirk for Erik Johnson trade may go down as one of the more lopsided trades of NHL history. Shattenkirk is beast.
Too bad for Johnson. His first season was great and then he goes and mangles his ankle. Who knows how good that guy could've been.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If St-Louis wins the cup soon, will you point to them as an example of a successful rebuild?
They drafted high for a couple of seasons and have built mostly via the draft. Their best player is Alex Pietrangelo. I can't imagine them winning a cup without him playing a huge role. Ken Hitchcock has done a pretty amazing job over there as well though.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
this post perplexes me... :huh:

are they not a good example of a successful rebuild?

I think DAChampion was suggesting to Lafleurs guy (big fan of rebuilding through tanking or similar) that the Blues are a good example of not using that strategy (i.e., abject tanking, not retooling). LG then replied that in fact their model does follow his since Pietrangelo is integral to their success.

Hopefully I clarified that correctly. Your to decide whether it's the trades that made the difference or their draft position. I tend to lean towards retooling and good trades along with a Chucky-like drafting. Thus (and I'm totally serious), I think we (Habs) are finally set to be a real true contender in future years. I know this was about St. Louis, but holy crap I'm just blown away by Galchenyuk and how he is going to be the best Habs player skater since our last Cup and IMO an NHL superstar (I swear I do not get as hyped about prospects, ever, and if he need time and junior, fine, but he will be). Gallagher is a boss too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad