The Out of Town Thread (Part 47)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
5 questions for Jets in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

1)How quickly can goalie Connor Hellebuyck regain top form?
2)How healthy are they?
3)Will special teams make a difference?
4)Can their top forwards carry them?
5)With health and depth, how good can their defensemen be?

5 questions for Blue Jackets in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

1)Are they healthy?
2)Does coach John Tortorella's experience give them an edge?
3)Where will the goals come from?
4)Can they contain the Maple Leafs?
5)Which goalie will emerge as the starter?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

For those who want to read the article, there are disturbing details shared.

This is for every person who tried to defend hockey culture and say its not toxic. This has been happening for a long time. We've heard bits and pieces of it. People played ignorant and down played it.

Hockey culture needs to be rebuilt at all levels.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

There was an article on the Finnish radio that is sent in Swedish for all Swedish speaking Finns. They had an interview where he said he lost his confidence, then started playing computer games all night and took sleeping pills later. He did fairly well with HV71 when he came back home with 12 points in 15 games.
My guess is that he will never come back unless he gets traded.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I dont know whats more disturbing. The details shared in the article or the fact its taken untill 2020 for these stories to come out. There is a systemic problem within hockey culture that silences players and staff from speaking out. The NHL, Hockey Canada and the CHL need to take charge and make changes. You cant preach tolerance and inclusion when you have such problems off the ice.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I dont know whats more disturbing. The details shared in the article or the fact its taken untill 2020 for these stories to come out. There is a systemic problem within hockey culture that silences players and staff from speaking out. The NHL, Hockey Canada and the CHL need to take charge and make changes. You cant preach tolerance and inclusion when you have such problems off the ice.

I just read it and I thought hazing at schools was bad, this is really disgusting. We had some hazing when doing the military service where we were called zeros but that was about it. Anyone who approached me I told to go and **** themselves plus it helped that I was a friend of the largest guy in the regiment, 2.6 meters and I was fairly big and fit but there were some smaller guys that had to drink beers. But nothing as described in the article. How the h*** can a coach do the thing when Taylor was sent down and wait until everyone is on the bus and then tell him in front of all the others. I am sure there are people that will say things like, I went through that stuff and it didn't hurt me. That is a thing I have heard many times when there are parents beating their kids for doing something stupid but it is not right there either. In uni it was more like getting a mission like turning around one way street signs in the other direction at night but nothing like what happens in US universities. The worst of these things in Sweden are usually bachelor parties, one I distinctly remember because it happened to someone who lived in the same town. They got him very drunk, they rolled him into a large carpet and put him upside down and he threw up and choked to death on his own puke.

Edit: not 2.6 meters, 2.06 meters. :)

Last edited:

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

Disgusting and disturbing indeed, but sadly not really surprising. Seems to be part of the culture of elite hockey (what about other sports?). We had a lot of Midget AAA players at my high school (including one current NHLer) and they had a bad rep for those reasons (and also for wearing socks and sandals). We heard tales that were like a lighter version of Carcillo and Taylor stories, but we all thought they were amplified a little bit to make them seem worse than they really were and of course, "boys will be boys" right? Things have to change, we're in 2020, cavemen should stay in the past.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Anyone who's played this game at any level knows that this shit has been going on which is why I have been furious at anyone who has tried to say there isn't a toxic culture in hockey.

It is racist, sexist, homophobic, and barbaric.

They would do things like make the rookies strip naked and throw 100 pennies on the floor and tell them they couldn't put their clothes back on until they found all 100. They only ever threw 99.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Anyone who's played this game at any level knows that this shit has been going on which is why I have been furious at anyone who has tried to say there isn't a toxic culture in hockey.

It is racist, sexist, homophobic, and barbaric.

They would do things like make the rookies strip naked and throw 100 pennies on the floor and tell them they couldn't put their clothes back on until they found all 100. They only ever threw 99.
I'll be naively optimistic and hope that these have become more and more rare throughout organizations, although that Guest story happened just a few years ago. But yeah, ridiculous stuff that doesn't have its place in any setting.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This is for every person who tried to defend hockey culture and say its not toxic. This has been happening for a long time. We've heard bits and pieces of it. People played ignorant and down played it.

Hockey culture needs to be rebuilt at all levels.

It's like that in a lot of sports, not just hockey. It's the culture of competition. If kept unchecked, it will inevitably create these outcomes.

Reactions: Fixxer

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Super 16: Top centers playing in Stanley Cup Qualifiers

1)McDavid
2)Crosby
3)MacKinnon
4)Bergeron
5)Draisaitl
6)Malkin
7)Matthews
8)Stamkos
9)O'Reilly
10)Tavares
11)Scheifele
12)Backstrom
13)Barkov
14)Couturier
15)Zibanejad
16)Toews

PS: Don't ask me where's Danault :facepalm:

Bolded those on the same teams.

Then you have Stamkos-Point

Backstrom-Kuznetsov

Couturier-Giroux

It shows you how far away we are from being a real competitive team because of the middle of the ice.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Bolded those on the same teams.

Then you have Stamkos-Point

Backstrom-Kuznetsov

Couturier-Giroux

It shows you how far away we are from being a real competitive team because of the middle of the ice.
Back in the days when we had a bunch of 1C in our pipeline... Nostalgia... This were the best memories ever of me being a Habs fan.

I've a dream that one day (nevermind it won't happen)...

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad