The Out of Town Thread Part 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
One of the dumbest trades we could have possibly ever made. Not resigning Markov and sending away our potential future number one LD for a creampuff drama queen was as braindead as it gets.
Of course we all know the smartest thing to do when you trade for a 31 year old RD who has always needed a highly mobile PMD as a partner is trade away a blue chip mobile PMD for a winger who defends like Phil Kessel with Arturri Lehkonen's scoring touch, let a franchise legend LD walk, and then sign a guy who can't open jars.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with him. TB is in cap trouble, especially with a looming flat cap. From that article:
They're just going to trade Johnson or Gourde.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I used Google translate and here's what I got.

"to write a very important Quebec "

It means "it was important to bring back a Quebec player"

In Bergevin's own words.

And some like 417 said i was off my rockers thinking it was only a publicity stunt after what unraveled in the several weeks after the trade up to the weeks after FA opened.

Guess what, we were right.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It means "it was important to bring back a Quebec player"

In Bergevin's own words.

And some like 417 said i was off my rockers thinking it was only a publicity stunt after what unraveled in the several weeks after the trade up to the weeks after FA opened.

Guess what, we were right.
Hey man, I said from day one that it was nothing more than a PR ploy on the part of Bergevin and I have taken plenty of flak(is this a dad word?lol) for it. Bergevin has a plan yada yadda, lol, there is no plan and no common sense in any of it and it is the biggest reason why this franchise is floundering.

5fa2cf1ffebf229193ae508a09a28a1f.jpg

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hey man, I said from day one that it was nothing more than a PR ploy on the part of Bergevin and I have taken plenty of flak(is this a dad word?lol) for it. Bergevin has a plan yada yadda, lol, there is no plan and no common sense in any of it and it is the biggest reason why this franchise is floundering.

5fa2cf1ffebf229193ae508a09a28a1f.jpg

I honestly don't get why it angers people when it's pointed out that Drouin was brought in part because of where he's from. The Habs are a business, their priorities are marketing and making money. Winning is a second priority, that is subservient to the first priorities. It is absurd that people have a hard time accepting that.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I honestly don't get why it angers people when it's pointed out that Drouin was brought in part because of where he's from. The Habs are a business, their priorities are marketing and making money. Winning is a second priority, that is subservient to the first priorities. It is absurd that people have a hard time accepting that.
People(some people) get their panties in a bunch because they feel like it is an attack on francophones everywhere to point out that Bergevin made the move to get a local player for his own gain and that of Molson. My theory has always been that the move was a tactic to help divert negative talk away from a terrible season created by terrible management.

I truly despise the trade because of how shortsighted it was, trading a player that you desperately need for the PR gain from Drouin but if you are correct, it has nothing to do with hockey and much more about the fan experience and hotdogs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People(some people) get their panties in a bunch because they feel like it is an attack on francophones everywhere to point out that Bergevin made the move to get a local player for his own gain and that of Molson. My theory has always been that the move was a tactic to help divert negative talk away from a terrible season created by terrible management.

I truly despise the trade because of how shortsighted it was, trading a player that you desperately need for the PR gain from Drouin but if you are correct, it has nothing to do with hockey and much more about the fan experience and hotdogs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The strangest thing ever is that EVERYBODY here keeps saying how we should never listen to Bergevin. Does one thing. Says other things. That's true except.....that statement. That when he said Drouin was here 'cause it was important to bring a Quebecer home....that he REALLY believed it...lol. That's f***ing BS. Again. He said that for journalists. He doesn't believe in the french factor 'cause if so...THERE WOULD BE MORE THAN 2 PLAYERS on the team.....

The trade was bad....not because of the trade...but because of the lack of other movement to accompany that trade. Doing that was trying to fill a spot by emptying another. At best, a wash. We are not at washes anymore. We are at improvement.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I just think that the Drouin trade was logical at the time. I wasnt a fan of his back then, but he did have talent to burn. He was one of the most dominant prospects I have ever seen as he demolished the QMJHL. With a team averaging below 2 goals a game for numerous playoff attempts, it makes sense that they traded for a kid that talented. Of course it looks terrible now, but I think it's simply a trade that hasnt worked out for us rather than a PR move. I just dont see why Bergevin(the guy who has refused to trade prospects for help) all of a sudden wants to trade away his 9th OA pick that he continuously praised just for a PR move.

Reactions: Fenris

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I just think that the Drouin trade was logical at the time. I wasnt a fan of his back then, but he did have talent to burn. He was one of the most dominant prospects I have ever seen as he demolished the QMJHL. With a team averaging below 2 goals a game for numerous playoff attempts, it makes sense that they traded for a kid that talented. Of course it looks terrible now, but I think it's simply a trade that hasnt worked out for us rather than a PR move.

The trade only makes sense if you're bringing back Radulov and signing Markov. As a direct response to the critical failure to only bringing in Ott, Martinsen and King when your team struggled to score and your goalie was having a historical season.

But it wasn't, it was a trade to replace Radulov.. and they lost Markov, and signed Alzner. Completing a trifecta of horrendous moves that gave us one of our worst seasons ever.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The trade only makes sense if you're bringing back Radulov and signing Markov. As a direct response to the critical failure to only bringing in Ott, Martinsen and King when your team struggled to score and your goalie was having a historical season.

But it wasn't, it was a trade to replace Radulov.. and they lost Markov, and signed Alzner. Completing a trifecta of horrendous moves that gave us one of our worst seasons ever.
Oh I agree for sure, no doubt about that. But I was talking about the point where most fans where thrilled to have Drouin AND Radulov as opposed to instead of Radulov. The trade made sense at that very moment. Most knew it was a disaster to lose both Radulov and Markov without any competent replacement. However, to say that the trade was strictly a PR move seems untrue because Drouin always had talent to burn with excellent skating. It's simply that expectations weren't met.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just think that the Drouin trade was logical at the time. I wasnt a fan of his back then, but he did have talent to burn. He was one of the most dominant prospects I have ever seen as he demolished the QMJHL. With a team averaging below 2 goals a game for numerous playoff attempts, it makes sense that they traded for a kid that talented. Of course it looks terrible now, but I think it's simply a trade that hasnt worked out for us rather than a PR move.

We should remember, the Drouin the Habs acquired was a 22-year old kid who just had a career year the season that had just ended, and the player that, even though he booboo-faced it by refusing to report to the AHL the year before that, he came back and dominated. And he was flying that playoff year when Stamkos was out.

The problem was that they didn't add Drouin to the team that went 1st place in the division and had a disappointing end in the playoffs. If he added him and not have lost Radulov and Markov in the process, it most likely would have ended up as a good move.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
We should remember, the Drouin the Habs acquired was a 22-year old kid who just had a career year the season that had just ended, and the player that, even though he booboo-faced it by refusing to report to the AHL the year before that, he came back and dominated. And he was flying that playoff year when Stamkos was out.

The problem was that they didn't add Drouin to the team that went 1st place in the division and had a disappointing end in the playoffs. If he added him and not have lost Radulov and Markov in the process, it most likely would have ended up as a good move.
Absolutely. He was dominant in the playoffs. He was brought in to provide offense because he has a large history of doing so, he just hasn't done it here.

Reactions: DAChampion

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh I agree for sure, no doubt about that. But I was talking about the point where most fans where thrilled to have Drouin AND Radulov as opposed to instead of Radulov. The trade made sense at that very moment. Most knew it was a disaster to lose both Radulov and Markov without any competent replacement. However, to say that the trade was strictly a PR move seems untrue because Drouin always had talent to burn with excellent skating. It's simply that expectations weren't met.

I didn't really love the trade because they had been on this 'character' binge and used it to discredit Galchenyuk when it didn't take much digging to find out all the dirt about Drouin's character issues.

But at the time, it could have been a good move, provided the rest of the plan was conducted properly. But as we've seen with MB many times, there is no vision or plan.. there is just things in a vacuum completely independent of each other.

It certainly wasn't the Gomez trade which we knew was immediately bad.. the Domi trade somewhat balances it out in the end, but that whole year was Bergevin's worst work.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I just think that the Drouin trade was logical at the time. I wasnt a fan of his back then, but he did have talent to burn. He was one of the most dominant prospects I have ever seen as he demolished the QMJHL. With a team averaging below 2 goals a game for numerous playoff attempts, it makes sense that they traded for a kid that talented. Of course it looks terrible now, but I think it's simply a trade that hasnt worked out for us rather than a PR move. I just dont see why Bergevin(the guy who has refused to trade prospects for help) all of a sudden wants to trade away his 9th OA pick that he continuously praised just for a PR move.

It can be both a hockey trade and a PR move. What may be the case is that the team coveted Drouin for years, and when that happens brain gears will shift into overtime convincing the people in charge that it's a legitimate hockey trade.

I also don't know that the trade came from Bergevin. It may have come from Molson.

Reactions: Amerika

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
would be interesting to find the thread when that trade happened. It was a very popular trade at the time. I was skeptical because I thought he wasn't strong enough having watched him a fair bit in junior.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
would be interesting to find the thread when that trade happened. It was a very popular trade at the time. I was skeptical because I thought he wasn't strong enough having watched him a fair bit in junior.

It was a popular trade *until* people realized that Radulov and Markov we're not coming back.

This has been pointed out multiple times, by multiple people.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
It was a popular trade *until* people realized that Radulov and Markov we're not coming back.

This has been pointed out multiple times, by multiple people.
I hate the break it to you but not everybody reads thousands of posts a week...talking about the same thing over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad