The Out of Town Thread LXXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Funny how Leafs and Sens could realistically be the last two teams in the Atlantic this season. Shows how things can change fast.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Funny how Leafs and Sens could realistically be the last two teams in the Atlantic this season. Shows how things can change fast.

Both teams have been pretty much crap the last few years...except for each having one year where they rode a hot goalie and short season to make the playoffs.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 1m
Leafs have agreed to a 1 year deal with Mike Santorelli, $1.5 mil.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
For all the stuff VAN has done and how much flack they have taken I don't think their 4 lines look that bad:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Burrows-Matthias-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
For all the stuff VAN has done and how much flack they have taken I don't think their 4 lines look that bad:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Burrows-Matthias-Hansen

Honestly that second line looks like a fourth line. Bonino will be nothing without Getzlaf/Perry on the PP.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Honestly that second line looks like a fourth line. Bonino will be nothing without Getzlaf/Perry on the PP.

Wow. 22 goals on the 4th line. Nice.

He had 15 even strength goals. Pleks had 17 - hardly a 4th liner.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Burrows-Matthias-Hansen

That's dreadful. I expect the Sedins to bounce back a bit, but if that is their 2nd line, ouch. Bonino has proven nothing, Kassian is not that good and Higgins is Higgins. That should be a 3rd line on a good team. Burrows looks finished, Matthias is "meh". Their defence is mediocre too.

No depth, average defence, good goalie. They might fight for a wild card, but the two wild card teams - Minnesota and Dallas - got significantly better. The only team ahead of the Canucks that didn't get better is San Jose. But they were a 111 point team, no way will they drop that much.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Wow. 22 goals on the 4th line. Nice.

He had 15 even strength goals. Pleks had 17 - hardly a 4th liner.

Bonino got near 50% of his points on the PP playing with Getzlaf/Perry. Anyone expecting him to be a second line center going forward are delusional.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Bonino got near 50% of his points on the PP playing with Getzlaf/Perry. Anyone expecting him to be a second line center going forward are delusional.

And he'll be on the PP again with the Sedins who are still pretty good.

Higgins got 17 goals.

My point is that is not a 4th line and I think they may surprise some people.

Plus a top 3 D of Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis is still pretty good.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
And he'll be on the PP again with the Sedins who are still pretty good.

Higgins got 17 goals.

My point is that is not a 4th line and I think they may surprise some people.

Except he won't be on the PP with the Sedins, Vrbata/Burrows/Kassian will.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Except he won't be on the PP with the Sedins, Vrbata/Burrows/Kassian will.

Yes he will. Fairly certain on that. Definitely over Burrows and Kassian. Bonino also has played the point on the PP.

We shall see.

Not surprising to see every other team in the league get "slagged". I'm trying to be objective.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes he will. Fairly certain on that. Definitely over Burrows and Kassian. Bonino also has played the point on the PP.

We shall see.

Not surprising to see every other team in the league get "slagged". I'm trying to be objective.

We are too.

There is no way you can tell me that the 2014 playoff teams in the West did not all get better, save for San Jose. There is also no way you can tell me that Vancouver got better. Elite 2nd line centre gone, Top PP defenceman gone.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Burrows-Matthias-Hansen

Their forwards will be terrible when the Sedins are not on the ice. Even Kesler piled up the point on the PP with them his big years. 5 on 5 he was solid but nothing special.

They have a 1st line and two 3rds and a 4th...no playoffs in Vcr unless Miller has a Craig Anderson year.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
We are too.

There is no way you can tell me that the 2014 playoff teams in the West did not all get better, save for San Jose. There is also no way you can tell me that Vancouver got better. Elite 2nd line centre gone, Top PP defenceman gone.

Add a top line goalie and a new nucleus (and better coaching) and they may be better. I think they may be.

May still not make the playoffs but they may improve.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Add a top line goalie and a new nucleus (and better coaching) and they may be better. I think they may be.

May still not make the playoffs but they may improve.

I thought Vancouver might fight for the last playoff spot with Minny & Dallas, but then Minny picked up Vanek and Dallas Spezza. I just don't see Vancouver hanging with the top 8 anymore.

I think the playoffs are already set in the West: Chicago, St. Louis, Colorado, L.A., San Jose, Anaheim, Minny and Dallas should all make it.

I think Vancouver and Edmonton improve over last year, but not enough to get into the race. Calgary will finish last.

If there's one team that might fall out, it's Colorado. Their possession stats were horrible last year, so if Varlamov isn't as good they could drop.

The playoff races will be in the East.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

We shall see.

Kesler was a main stay in front of the net on the PP so maybe Kassian or Burrows inherits that role, probably not Bonino.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

around 29 min

Eklund on Lecavalier. Haha we dodged a bullet. Flyers are stuck with him.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Canucks will be an interesting team to watch. Let's be honest, Gillis pretty much pulled a Houle job and destroyed the Canucks.

Add Torts who essentially destroyed most of his players confidence and had them playing the wrong style.

I don't know if Van will be better because the West is so tough, but can't imagine them being worse

Leafspoison*

Both teams have been pretty much crap the last few years...except for each having one year where they rode a hot goalie and short season to make the playoffs.

Thats a gem coming from a habs fan. I am not here to start something but come on? Your team has been riding Price for years now and he is one of the best goalies in the league. He has carried your team soooo many times. :laugh:

Leafspoison*

Kind of unfair.

Kulemin also score 30G and 57 points when he played top line with Grabovski and Kessel.

Snow has Taveres-Okposo.
Now he is trying to build a second duo with Grabovski-Kulemin.

We need to see how this turns out.
Still have Nielson, Grabner, Strome, Bailey, Clutterbuck to complete top-9.

Question is more about defense but
Hamonic, Reinhart, Pokka, Visnovsky, MacDonald, Hickey, DeHaan, Pulock...
Plenty to look forward.

Lots of skills but little experience.
Halak is going to be busy.:shakehead

Well you got 2/3 of that right. It was Kulemin, Grabo and Clarke MacArthur. :)

Leafspoison*

It's a good gamble for Toronto...but their team is a mess, bad cap situation for a team that shouldn't have THAT hard a time attracting players(not NYI). Clarkson Robidas(3yrs) Komarov Phaneuf Lupul(injuries)

Plus they are paying 1 mil to guys that are gone, spent 3 draft picks on 20 some games of a #3 C in Bolland.

If I was a Leaf fan I'd be fuming that Shanahan didn't can Nonis and Carlyle. The Gorges not waiving his NTC then going to Buffalo shows Toronto is a mess.

Yeah, with all the hype about Burke, they are in no better shape than when Ferguson Jr left...just a bit younger but worse cap situation.

We are....:(

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Canucks will be an interesting team to watch. Let's be honest, Gillis pretty much pulled a Houle job and destroyed the Canucks.

In my office Gillis is referred to as "he who cannot be named". It's too funny.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Thats a gem coming from a habs fan. I am not here to start something but come on? Your team has been riding Price for years now and he is one of the best goalies in the league. He has carried your team soooo many times. :laugh:

Habs fans seem oblivious to that.this team is very weak at even strength but prices great play masks that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad