The Out of Town Thread LXXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
The biggest Team Canada snub wasn't MSL, it was Claude Giroux. I don't remember hearing a word out of Giroux after being snubbed.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The biggest Team Canada snub wasn't MSL, it was Claude Giroux. I don't remember hearing a word out of Giroux after being snubbed.

Because Giroux understands that great players get left off the team and isn't a huge whiney *****.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Which then makes me say.....well maybe Team Canada was not THE reason after all? Just a guy who at the end of his career wanted to finish his near the wife and children? And in the process of everything said that he didn't like how Yzerman handled the Team Canada file?

Well that was around a period of time when Brad Richards was traded and Tampa was last place in the NHL. Who knows what THE reason was, but it's hard to say that Yzerman was the reason when it supposedly happened under 2 GMs.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

At GM meetings, Bryan Murray confirms Jason Spezza has "requested we give him a chance to go elsewhere." More later.

Murray says a couple teams have shown serious interest. OTT's preference is to "send him somewhere we don't have to play him every night."

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Chicago's looking for a 2nd line center.
St. Louis needs help through the middle.

I'd think Spezza goes to one of those two teams.
I'd offer up Desharnais to the Hawks.. he'd be a cheap 2nd line center for them and he'd definitely be able to make things happen on a line with Bickell and Hossa/Sharp.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

At GM meetings, Bryan Murray confirms Jason Spezza has "requested we give him a chance to go elsewhere." More later.

Murray says a couple teams have shown serious interest. OTT's preference is to "send him somewhere we don't have to play him every night."

Nice.

Ottawa will be bad next year.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
They were afraid of what Joe Thornton's celebration would be if he won a gold medal.

died.:lol:

Nice.

Crap. That is not the year for Ottawa to tank.:shakehead

Methinks Murray has an added motive for weakening the team. Gonna predict he trades Spezza for prospects or picks and punches a ticket to the McDavid sweepstakes.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well that was around a period of time when Brad Richards was traded and Tampa was last place in the NHL. Who knows what THE reason was, but it's hard to say that Yzerman was the reason when it supposedly happened under 2 GMs.

Except that Lawton specifically says MSL wasn't pleased with the way things were going with the team. This year they were part of the top tier, in a battle with us for 3rd seed, and the first time those rumors came up was after it was clear he was upset about being left off the team.

Which then makes me say.....well maybe Team Canada was not THE reason after all? Just a guy who at the end of his career wanted to finish his near the wife and children? And in the process of everything said that he didn't like how Yzerman handled the Team Canada file?

Where there's smoke, there's fire. MSL's wanting out of TB first came to life after we learned how upset he was to be left out of TC.
His team was playing well, TB was surpassing what everybody thought they'd be able to accomplish without Stamkos, and then, just as Stamkos is about the come back, he moves to NYR? What could be so, so important for him to be asking for a trade right away? To the point where he doesn't even go for a last push with this beloved team of his???

Just doesn't make any sense. Every thing points towards him being upset and wanting out.

And we got another one.

That baby wants to be part of the national team for the last time of his career. What a baby. Did the baby deserve to be on that team? Absolutely.

When your own boss is the one that has the most power to chose that roster and doesn't believe that you can help his team, how would you feel Kriss. I guess you would say that you would be completely indifferent for being snubbed by your boss so you can stand by your argument.

Maybe it does not have anything to do with being childish and immaturity but more with pride and loyalty.
There's a pretty big difference between being indifferent and being up to the point of requesting a trade. I never said he couldn't be disappointing, or even upset. There are other good players that were left out. Thornton, Giroux, Staal, Neal, MSL wasn't the only one.
MSL is 38, they wanted to focus on speed and it's the international ice. So they opted to go with faster younger guys. Okay, it sucks, but request a trade?? Please man.
Do you throw a hissy fit any time you don't get what you want or when you get criticized???

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
died.:lol:

Crap. That is not the year for Ottawa to tank.:shakehead

Methinks Murray has an added motive for weakening the team. Gonna predict he trades Spezza for prospects or picks and punches a ticket to the McDavid sweepstakes.

As bad as they will be next year, there's no way they out-tank the likes of Buffalo and Florida.... I hope...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Which brings the question....would a guy like St.Louis who has been loyal and dedicated ALL THESE YEARS to his TBay team would suddenly want to get the **** out of there because Steve Yzerman, WHO WANTED DESPERATELY ST-LOUIS IN THE TEAM, couldn't persuade the others to bring him? So people really believe that? Why is St.Louis talking about respect and loyalty if Yzerman always was behind him at 200%???? Could it be something else? Could it be an addition of things that evolved?

Well it's not just that article. Even on NHL's website, they said ''St. Louis reportedly requested a trade from the Lightning after originally being left off the Canada Olympic team.''
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=707891

Could it be an addition? Well yes, they add that MSL was also left out of the 2010 team that Stevie Y also selected. So ya, maybe being left out twice by his boss was too much for him. Maybe he felt betrayed because he knows it was his last opportunity and felt that just out of respect, he should get a selection.

I mean what else could it be?? Other reasons would have come out by now.
TB was seeded higher than NYR. They also were expecting Stamkos to come back. They have a bunch of great young players who'll only improve in the coming seasons.
So, it's certainly can't be because of the direction the team was going in. There were no beef between him and teammates or coaching staff, which would have surfaced by now. So what else??? Family reasons? Well, his family has been living in NYR for a long time. This isn't new, and even if it did come down to his family, why ask for that trade at this precise moment?? Why not stick with your team for one last run??

I think it's pretty obvious he was pissed off about being left off again.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Where there's smoke, there's fire. MSL's wanting out of TB first came to life after we learned how upset he was to be left out of TC.His team was playing well, TB was surpassing what everybody thought they'd be able to accomplish without Stamkos, and then, just as Stamkos is about the come back, he moves to NYR? What could be so, so important for him to be asking for a trade right away? To the point where he doesn't even go for a last push with this beloved team of his??? Just doesn't make any sense. Every thing points towards him being upset and wanting out.

So if it doesn't make any sense, as it's not for you and it's not for me for other reasons...why belive it point blank? Even if he was so angry with Yzerman...why not just say that he was going to finish the year but would have then wanted to move in the summer? What if that's exactly what St.Louis said to Yzerman...but Yzerman ended up taking that decision NOW 'cause it would have gotten him more in return? What would TBay receive if you are only doing that in the summer with 1 year left in the contract and UFA right after? Maybe Yzerman thought that it was better to move right away? And if St.Louis is traded in the summer without saying a word in the media about Team Canada....how would he then be perceived? St.Louis's problem was that he decided to talk in the media about his feelings. So we could judge him. And some do. Fine. Yet, I think he has done enough in his career, I think he stayed around in TBay long enough so that he do not deserved to be called out the way he is now.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So if it doesn't make any sense, as it's not for you and it's not for me for other reasons...why belive it point blank? Even if he was so angry with Yzerman...why not just say that he was going to finish the year but would have then wanted to move in the summer? What if that's exactly what St.Louis said to Yzerman...but Yzerman ended up taking that decision NOW 'cause it would have gotten him more in return? What would TBay receive if you are only doing that in the summer with 1 year left in the contract and UFA right after? Maybe Yzerman thought that it was better to move right away? And if St.Louis is traded in the summer without saying a word in the media about Team Canada....how would he then be perceived? St.Louis's problem was that he decided to talk in the media about his feelings. So we could judge him. And some do. Fine. Yet, I think he has done enough in his career, I think he stayed around in TBay long enough so that he do not deserved to be called out the way he is now.

Why wouldn't Yzerman have come out to say this then? Or even MSL for that matter?
Why let MSL get talked about as the baby that left because he wasn't selected, if this wasn't the case at all? And if this was more of an Yzerman decision regarding timing where he felt this was the best route for his team to take, then why not say it? GMs usually share this info.

Again, when you think about it, there's no other plausible scenario. Maybe they're waiting for the season to finish, although I don't really understand why they'd wait. Yzerman could have said it right after the trade happen.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why wouldn't Yzerman have come out to say this then? Or even MSL for that matter?
Why let MSL get talked about as the baby that left because he wasn't selected, if this wasn't the case at all? And if this was more of an Yzerman decision regarding timing where he felt this was the best route for his team to take, then why not say it? GMs usually share this info.

Again, when you think about it, there's no other plausible scenario. Maybe they're waiting for the season to finish, although I don't really understand why they'd wait. Yzerman could have said it right after the trade happen.

Not a lot has been said publicly. Only thing was said by Yzerman is that they respected St.Louis decision to be traded. So in the end, Yzerman didn't have to look like the bad guy here...he only had to let St.Louis take the blame. For St.Louis, well he probably just decided to take the heat as there was no point for him to go further. What would he have said? "Well I was fine with staying but they decided to trade me now..." What would have been Yzerman,s response? "Well of course we did....we had the opportunity to get as good as trade we could, might not have been there in the summer". In the end, St.Louis is STILL the guy who asked to move...whether it was now or later. STILL the bad guy. So why fight for the truth?

Again, we don't know...we are not on the inside. Could have been that, could have been just trade me right ****ing now. Just saying that with what we know....St.Louis didn't struck me as a selfish guy all of his career. Especially not the way it ended.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Seems like so many teams try to find a player to do that boooo thing with a players name. I think Luongo was the first. Rask as well (Tuuuu).

This year the rangers:
Zucarello (Zuuuuu)...wtf? Of all the trends in the NHL, I just don't get that one, given that it literally sounds exactly like booooo.

Common Kings, let's get a couple this period. I'm pretty sure I heard a hilarious "we want the cup" cheer tonight at MSG. Kindly take care of that request.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Nice.

Do not assume.With the Spezza trade, they will get a lot of young players coming back.
They will add to Turris, Zibanejad, Ryan, Karlsson, Anderson.

Also among the young players: Stone, Greening, Lazar, Driedger, Pageau, Ceci, Condra, Stone, Puempel.

At this point, they have 19 players signed with 48M SCap.

So without Spezza, they would not go far in PO but they could certainly get in PO.

D is not so bad: Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Phillips, Weircoch, Ceci.
Offense is a bit on the low side without Spazza.
Goal: Anderson is good every two years... Last year was bad...
To think they let go Bishop for Conacher:shakehead. That is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad