The Out of Town Thread LXXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

What a baby. Lost a lot of respect for him. They had to build the best possible team and they left plenty of great players, none went crying like he did

And at the end of the day, when you look back at the Tournament, the chance he got playing on a line with Crosby, it proved Yzerman and his team even more right, Marty did not belong on that team!

Last edited:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Wanted New York but
all that crap from their fanbase...
So yeah, Go Kings Go!

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
As a hometown "boy", we all have mostly liked Martin St. Louis. Even when him and Lecav have killed us in the past. I don't think everyone hates him, or really that anyone hates him. That said, this chapter did for me tarnish what was already a respectful hatred for one of Montreal's famous sons.

No NHL player should act like this when it comes to the national team. We expect this attitude from Ovechkin. We don't from specifically the type of person MSL had made himself out to be.

And no, I don't think it's valid to be pissed at your boss in this situation. We're always trying to draw analogies to a workplace environment as though it's perfectly applicable. He didn't make the team and it flabbergasts me that he was so peeved that even after playing on the team and winning a medal (uhh...pretty much THANKS to Yzerman and his great direction), he demanded to be traded.

As for respect. We're talking about Steve Yzerman here, not Pierre Gauthier. If you don't get picked for TEAM f'ing CANADA, whatever the reasons, join the tons of other worthy candidates and ****. Everyone was puzzled by Kunitz in a LOL-worthy way, but hey, I actually saw how it worked and not just in the GMG.

Also, who exactly did he think he should have replaced (on the initial roster)? Who was the guy who in his mind was expendable just so he could be on the team? I hope not Benn or Carter or Tavares or the other guys who played their roles to perfection and beyond expectation.

Oh and yeah, Subban: now THAT is how you be a great sport.

I wonder if they ever even printed the reserve rangers cup champs hats...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Wasn't he the guy that was passed over his entire career until he broke out? That's his MO as a guy of tiny stature. Yet somehow, this was the final straw? He's 38, they decided to go younger, who cares? Did PK cry being benched despite winning the Norris and being clearly better than guys like Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and Hamhuis? No.

It's even worse when instead of manning up and giving the real reason, he uses his family as an excuse. "Well they live in the New York area". Really? Somehow you've been in Tampa for 10 years but your family being in New York is only an issue now?

He acted like a child.

Are seriously comparing PK situation with St. Louis? Like really, that's your argument? :laugh:

Do I really need to compare their individual accomplishment, do I need to compare their age? Do I need to tell you one is 38 and it was his last chance to play in the Olympics and the other one is like 25 and still have the chance to play 2-3 more Olympics? I think you're underevaluating the fact that it was MSL last chance to participate in the Olympics and maybe, just maybe, he really REALLY wants to win a gold medal for his country? Maybe for some of you guys representing your country in what you do best has no importance but I have no doubt for MSL, it is important, especially its one accomplishment he has not yet reached.

You said who cares? If course you don't care, you're not the one that his 38 yr old, that have won almost every single individual awards in the NHL and has a last chance to win a gold medal for his country. Yeah.. maybe Martin St. Louis does care. What a stupid question.

A player that felt his boss doesn't believe in him, doesn't want to play for that boss anymore and is thinking where he wants to end the rest of his career. Yeah, what a baby.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Are seriously comparing PK situation with St. Louis? Like really, that's your argument? :laugh:

Do I really need to compare their individual accomplishment, do I need to compare their age? Do I need to tell you one is 38 and it was his last chance to play in the Olympics and the other one is like 25 and still have the chance to play 2-3 more Olympics?

You said who cares? If course you don't care, you're not the one that his 38 yr old, that have won almost every single individual awards in the NHL and has a last chance to win a gold medal for his country. Yeah.. maybe Martin St. Louis does care. What a stupid question.

A player that felt his boss doesn't believe in him, doesn't want to play for that boss anymore and is thinking where he wants to end the rest of his career. Yeah, what a baby.

Wasn't it revealed that yzerman had democratic votes for each player and he was one who voted for st louis?

This is professional sports... He didn't act professionally and put his franchise in a terrible position... Luckily yzerman made a great trade that will only help his club progress.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Better players were left off the Olympic team. St. Louis acted like the furthest thing from a professional.

As for tonight - Go Kings Go. A sweep on their home ice would be glorious.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wasn't it revealed that yzerman had democratic votes for each player and he was one who voted for st louis?

This is professional sports... He didn't act professionally and put his franchise in a terrible position... Luckily yzerman made a great trade that will only help his club progress.

Which brings the question....would a guy like St.Louis who has been loyal and dedicated ALL THESE YEARS to his TBay team would suddenly want to get the **** out of there because Steve Yzerman, WHO WANTED DESPERATELY ST-LOUIS IN THE TEAM, couldn't persuade the others to bring him? So people really believe that? Why is St.Louis talking about respect and loyalty if Yzerman always was behind him at 200%???? Could it be something else? Could it be an addition of things that evolved?

And mostly....why the heck are we using this article to conclude that it's all St.Louis fault when, being a fan of the Habs, we learned to rarely trust the journalists? Is it just me or most of that article are filled in with the journalist opinion as ST-Louis was not really getting into a whole lot of details? So the bashing is based on the journalist opinion.....I don't believe we have all the facts. Makes no sense to me that we would. But somehow, journalists outside of Montreal are way more to be trusted for some odd reasons...

Something tells me that we learned to hate the Rangers and everything associated with them. Fine. But that's all there is.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
QUICK, finish them.

giphy.gif

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Yet MSL still made it to the team to replace Stamkos who was nowhere near ready. And if Yzerman can't sell his player who has been a top 5 canadian player in the past 10 years, he is extremely incompetent. ****ing Kunitz was in that team to play with Crosby but they thought Stamkos and MSL are not a good duo? :laugh:

The Lightning is not MSL's franchise. MSL gave his all for that team and help them win a cup. I think he has the right to chose how he felt for being left out and see his dream crushed by his own boss. Let's not pretend Yzerman really had no power/words in that roster.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Do I really need to compare their individual accomplishment, do I need to compare their age? Do I need to tell you one is 38 and it was his last chance to play in the Olympics and the other one is like 25 and still have the chance to play 2-3 more Olympics? I think you're underevaluating the fact that it was MSL last chance to participate in the Olympics and maybe, just maybe, he really REALLY wants to win a gold medal for his country? Maybe for some of you guys representing your country in what you do best has no importance but I have no doubt for MSL, it is important, especially its one accomplishment he has not yet reached.

Who cares what he's accomplished?

Be a man. You weren't chosen, move on.

Sorry you can't see that. This isn't kindergarten where it's okay to cry because Jimmy was given the toy you wanted.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I can fully understand why Tampa fans are disappointed in MSL. They likely feel that he bailed on their team over something that didn't have anything to do with anything Tampa related.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Who cares what he's accomplished?

Be a man. You weren't chosen, move on.

Sorry you can't see that. This isn't kindergarten where it's okay to cry because Jimmy was given the toy you wanted.

:laugh:

Wow you're so cool.

OK, I'm still one of the best players in the world, let alone Canadian. have the chance to win something I've never won before and it is my last chance in my career to represent my country. I feel I deserve a place in that roster and my own boss thinks I'm not good enough/Cannot do anything so I will just move on and BE A MAN YEAHHH..

Maybe you're too cool for the world but it doesn't work like that, people also have pride and gets mad when they feel betrayed. You're the one that is completetly ignore the fact that for hockey players, representing their country is something big.

You talked about Subban. Well from what I remember, this board was "crying" like you say because Subban was benched most of the time despite being a Norris winner and we know in our heart that Subban was better than at least 4 regular D that played. I guess we are a bunch of kindergarden babies for thinking that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Wow you're so cool.

OK, I'm still one of the best players in the world, let alone Canadian. have the chance to win something I've never won before and it is my last chance in my career to represent my country. I feel I deserve a place in that roster and my own boss thinks I'm not good enough/Cannot do anything so I will just move on and BE A MAN YEAHHH..

Maybe you're too cool for the world but it doesn't work like that, people also have pride and gets mad when they feel betrayed. You're the one that is completetly ignore the fact that for hockey players, representing their country is something big.

You talked about Subban. Well from what I remember, this board was "crying" like you say because Subban was benched most of the time despite being a Norris winner and we know in our heart that Subban was better than at least 4 regular D that played. I guess we are a bunch of kindergarden babies for thinking that.

What does it matter what we think. The issue is how they handled it publicly. They are public figures, salaries paid for thanks to the public. They should carry themselves in a mature manner, which is what PK did. What we on the board thought is irrelevant. Just like what I think about Marty and what you think about Marty is irrelevant. I just think he should have been more mature.

Joe Thornton was passed over despite accomplishing just as much as Marty, you didn't hear a peep from him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wanted New York but
all that crap from their fanbase...
So yeah, Go Kings Go!

I always liked LA, but would not have been averse to NY taking it.

However, agreed with your take, their fanbase has just made it all that much easier to root against them.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Which brings the question....would a guy like St.Louis who has been loyal and dedicated ALL THESE YEARS to his TBay team would suddenly want to get the **** out of there because Steve Yzerman, WHO WANTED DESPERATELY ST-LOUIS IN THE TEAM, couldn't persuade the others to bring him? So people really believe that? Why is St.Louis talking about respect and loyalty if Yzerman always was behind him at 200%???? Could it be something else? Could it be an addition of things that evolved?

And mostly....why the heck are we using this article to conclude that it's all St.Louis fault when, being a fan of the Habs, we learned to rarely trust the journalists? Is it just me or most of that article are filled in with the journalist opinion as ST-Louis was not really getting into a whole lot of details? So the bashing is based on the journalist opinion.....I don't believe we have all the facts. Makes no sense to me that we would. But somehow, journalists outside of Montreal are way more to be trusted for some odd reasons...

Something tells me that we learned to hate the Rangers and everything associated with them. Fine. But that's all there is.

The thing is, word is that this wouldn't be the first time he asked to be traded to the Rangers: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/st-louis-asked-for-trade-to-rangers-in-2009/

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Wow you're so cool.

What does it matter what we think. The issue is how they handled it publicly. They are public figures, salaries paid for thanks to the public. They should carry themselves in a mature manner, which is what PK did. What we on the board thought is irrelevant. Just like what I think about Marty and what you think about Marty is irrelevant. I just think he should have been more mature.

Joe Thornton was passed over despite accomplishing just as much as Marty, you didn't hear a peep from him.

...not just Jumbo Joe...Claude Giroux deserved to be there, but was passed over and took it like a professional...Eric Staal, a guy that's given his heart & soul to Canada on many occassions, was passed over...and what about Iggy??...you know, that forgotten guy that set up Crosby to be Canada's hero for 4 years; he had 30 this year and played fantastic down the stretch, yet he didn't even get a look...St. Louis' public tantrum was very unprofessional...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Well the idea is that the guy in charge was Yzerman. His own boss. So it's not about NOT being chosen more than not being chosen by YOUR boss.

IF....a big if.....it's all about just that.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Which then makes me say.....well maybe Team Canada was not THE reason after all? Just a guy who at the end of his career wanted to finish his near the wife and children? And in the process of everything said that he didn't like how Yzerman handled the Team Canada file?

If MSL wanted out of Tampa in 2009 like Lawton said he did why did he then sign a 4 year extension to stay with Tampa in 2010? Why not play out his contract and walk to the NYR instead back then?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If MSL wanted out of Tampa in 2009 like Lawton said he did why did he then sign a 4 year extension to stay with Tampa in 2010? Why not play out his contract and walk to the NYR instead back then?

He decided to show his loyalty then. But was tired doing it now and thought he deserved moving on?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
You think people here are talking to St-Louis? They are talking among themselves.
It's just a way of speaking. Nobody here thinks this will be reported to MSL..

People are just discussing his move. That's all.
I mean, otherwise, why discuss anything? Who cares if you think Max is a floater? Or if Therrien should change this vs that, or anything that is being discussed here. Does any of it actually matter? Of course not. They're all just discussions.

It's still a silly statement. LOL @ respecting players. I hate how people throw that around.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

They were afraid of what Joe Thornton's celebration would be if he won a gold medal.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
St Louis could've very well signed elsewhere but he chose to re-sign with Tampa because he trusted Yzerman even after he had asked for a trade to New York in 2010. That trust with Yzerman was broken rumor has it Yzerman wasn't even the 1st one to break the news to Marty that he didn't make it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
So is tonight's game the last of the season or will NY dig deep and avoid the humiliation of a sweep on their home ice? The first 10 minutes will be crazy that's for sure. Part of me wants to see more hockey, but seeing the cup hoisted in NY by the Kings would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad