The Out of Town Thread LXXVII - All News & Talk from Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
If you want to see some of the worst hockey you'll see all year, watch Phaneuf on the St. Louis goals tonight. Mindboggling.

I pretty much called his signing would turn into a disaster down the road for Toronto. 7M a year is bad enough (doubt he'd get that on the open market now) but 7 years!? At least Kessel's long deal is for a superstar. You've got Bozak, Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf all locked in for the next 5 years at a combined cap hit of nearly $27 million a year! Even when the cap goes up that'll be 1/3 to 1/4 of their budget. Oops :handclap:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Phaneuf is a guy who could be a solid second pairing Dman. The biggest problem with him fitting the role of #1D is that

1)He can't play away from the puck
2)All his qualities are about ramping a game up (big shot, big hit, big end to end rush) but he can't settle a game down

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Looking at Toronto's schedule, they can easily make it.

FLYERS
RED WINGS
FLAMES
BRUINS
JETS
LIGHTNING
PANTHERS
SENATORS

vs Detroit

CANADIENS
MAPLE LEAFS
LIGHTNING
BRUINS
SABRES
CANADIENS
SABRES
PENGUINS
HURRICANES
BLUES

except the sabres and hurricanes all their games are against tough opponents.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I wanted to get Johansen badly a few months ago now he almost has 30 goals. The guy is a beast and will keep scoring 40+ in this league

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
A quick FYI to anyone who wants to jump on the 'Leafs blow it again/Habs the only Canadian team making the playoffs' trolling game:

Just posted my suggestions for the playoffs avatar theme (Canada's Team) here ;)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

FLYERS
RED WINGS
FLAMES
BRUINS
JETS
LIGHTNING
PANTHERS
SENATORS

vs Detroit

CANADIENS
MAPLE LEAFS
LIGHTNING
BRUINS
SABRES
CANADIENS
SABRES
PENGUINS
HURRICANES
BLUES

they're 10th, 7, 8 and 9th all have game(s) in hand... and 11th (NJ) is only 5 points behind with 2 games in hand... ;)

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010

FLYERS
RED WINGS
FLAMES
BRUINS
JETS
LIGHTNING
PANTHERS
SENATORS

vs Detroit

CANADIENS
MAPLE LEAFS
LIGHTNING
BRUINS
SABRES
CANADIENS
SABRES
PENGUINS
HURRICANES
BLUES

They're not out of it yet (sportsclubstats has them at 25% chances to make it now vs 65-70% for Wings and Columbus), but you have to consider that they also require to be AHEAD of the other teams (except Washington), because they have few ROW and tons of SO wins.

So no matter if their opponents are somewhat easier (4/8 teams are easy wins on paper and 4 are hard), say they go 4-3-1, that means that Detroit couldn't do better than 4-6-0, or 3-4-2 or they'd be behind.

If 2/3 of Columbus, Detroit and Washington plays for .500 in their last stretch, Leafs need a minimum of 5-2-1 to make it (tall order for a team that's 3-7 in last 10). If they have 3 regular losses in their next 8 they can only make it if 2/3 of the other teams battling them play below 0.500.

Let's say they don't have their destiny in their hands anymore, and they must not only be good, they must pray for other teams to truly suck.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
...have you ever been to Nova Scotia??...cocky, insufferable Leaf fans as far as the eye can see...even the last 10 years when they had 1 playoff appearance, they're still as cocky as ever...love seeing them get crushed, don't care by who or when...

New Brunswick has the same problem. I live in Toronto now and actually meet fewer cocky Toronto fans here. No exaggeration

...I honestly think it's an Atlantic Canada thing, amigo...I have alot of Newfie friends and they're all Leaf fans and from Leaf fan families...it's like Children of the Corn...:laugh:

I am up in Labrador. The population seems to be a hodgepodge of people mainly from all over Atlantic Canada, with somewhat of a Newfoundlander majority. The Habs seem to be the main team up here, although Toronto and Boston are probably tied for second. Maybe people on the island are a bit more cocky about Toronto, but up here they just seem seem miserable about the fact that they are fans of a team that isn't accomplishing anything :laugh:

PricePkPatch*

I am up in Labrador. The population seems to be a hodgepodge of people mainly from all over Atlantic Canada, with somewhat of a Newfoundlander majority. The Habs seem to be the main team up here, although Toronto and Boston are probably tied for second. Maybe people on the island are a bit more cocky about Toronto, but up here they just seem seem miserable about the fact that they are fans of a team that isn't accomplishing anything :laugh:

Oh, come on. This is not fair for them, we gotta give them credit.

They accomplish chokejobs superbly.

Pricef*

FLYERS
RED WINGS
FLAMES
BRUINS
JETS
LIGHTNING
PANTHERS
SENATORS

vs Detroit

CANADIENS
MAPLE LEAFS
LIGHTNING
BRUINS
SABRES
CANADIENS
SABRES
PENGUINS
HURRICANES
BLUES

NO WAY. They need to go 6-1-1 in their last 8 games for 93 points (most likely what it would take to get in) or at the very least 6-2-0 to get 92 points and play in a tie breaker. THEY'RE DONE.

PricePkPatch*

NO WAY. They need to go 6-1-1 in their last 8 games for 93 points (most likely what it would take to get in) or at the very least 6-2-0 to get 92 points and play in a tie breaker. THEY'RE DONE.

Woah man. Take it easy.

AND DON'T ****ING ANTIJINX THEM!! :rant:

They are not DONE until they are DONE. Mkay?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I really hope Detroit gets that 2nd WC spot. I feel they can compete with Boston, if Zetterberg and Datsyuk are healthy.

It'll take a skilled team to give them a challenge in the East. No one can match with them physically in a 7 game series.

PricePkPatch*

I really hope Detroit gets that 2nd WC spot. I feel they can compete with Boston, if Zetterberg and Datsyuk are healthy.

It'll take a skilled team to give them a challenge in the East. No one can match with them physically in a 7 game series.

Plus, a physical challenge seems to get them going strong..

I am just afraid of facing Detroit in Round 2 if we pass Tampa :cry:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Phaneuf is a guy who could be a solid second pairing Dman. The biggest problem with him fitting the role of #1D is that

1)He can't play away from the puck
2)All his qualities are about ramping a game up (big shot, big hit, big end to end rush) but he can't settle a game down
I thought that guy was going to be an awesome defenseman.

He's still good, just nowhere near what I thought he'd be. And he was brutal last night. Probably the worst game of his career.

He took way too much blame in game 7 vs the Bs last year. The coach basically gassed him and that loss is on Carlyle. But last night he deserves the beats from the analysts. Just a terrible game.
...so Lucic is getting away with the spear to Emelin's junk, it seems...Boston Typical...:shakehead
Takes a clean hit. Calls Emelin chicken. And spears him in the nuts.

Yeah, real tough.

Lucic is huge big and strong but when he does crap like that it just makes me laugh. Backs down from bigger players but he's fine to go after guys who are smaller... then calls somebody else out as chicken after a clean hit.

If the situations are reversed you KNOW Cherry is going ******* on Saturday night. We won't hear diddly about this one though.

Still think we'd beat 'em in a series. We just seem to match up well against them and have their number. We won't match them physically but we're in their heads. They're the one team I'd like to face the most.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
...so Lucic is getting away with the spear to Emelin's junk, it seems...Boston Typical...:shakehead

Usually happens that Bruin players are exempt from league disciplinary action. The Bruins are a good team, but I feel they get a lot of help from the league, and favorable officiating, like in the last game against us.

As for the Leafs, they are showing why a strong defensive game coupled with a good goalie is needed to win. Their D zone coverage is atrocious, and the defensman are prone to numerous gaffs during a game. They have to go 6-2 in their last eight to have a chance at the playoffs. Ninety-two points seems to be what is needed to make the playoffs this year.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
ROW is going to be the final nail in the coffin for the Leafs I think. Also, they play Ottawa in the last game of the year, how funny would it be to have them eliminate them :cry:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

FLYERS
RED WINGS
FLAMES
BRUINS
JETS
LIGHTNING
PANTHERS
SENATORS

vs Detroit

CANADIENS
MAPLE LEAFS
LIGHTNING
BRUINS
SABRES
CANADIENS
SABRES
PENGUINS
HURRICANES
BLUES

There's no easy games in the NHL these days.. You can bet everyone of these teams will up their games against the Leafs wanting to help knock them out of the playoffs. I think the Leafs will sneak into the playoffs but they're gonna have to work very hard to do so.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

I hope Washington faces them and they get Halak'd before facing us and then Halak gets lit up while Price plays great :nod:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Personally I think the final standings will draw these match ups in the first round.

Boston (H) vs. CBJ - Boston will probably win this easily and give them momentum and confidence unfortunately but if Bob can get hot and the D holds up it could go 6-7.

Pittsburgh (H) vs. Detroit - Pittsburgh wins in 7 with Fleury very shaky again and everyone in Pitt panicking.

Montreal (H) vs. Tampa Bay - Montreal wins in 6, I just don't think Bishop will be great and Price has a lot to prove and is coming off the gold medal where he was great. Also, the offence is going to click and Tampa's D is vastly overrated by how well Bishop played this year.

New York (H) vs. Philadelphia - Rangers win in 7 because Mason vs. Lundqvist, no other way around it.

Now, I believe in the 2nd round they get re-seeded and go from there eliminating the divisional rivals but I'm not 100% sure. I'll pretend like that's the way it is and continue on with some predictions because if I don't, I'll have to do school work and I'd rather procrastinate.

2nd round:

Boston (H) vs. New York - Boston in 7 games because they make me sick and the thought of them getting eliminated is just too good to be true!

Pittsburgh (H) vs. Montreal - Full Fleury collapse ladies and gentlemen, Montreal in 5 and Vanek scores 7 goals in those 5 games and Price has a sparkling .945 sv% shutting down the big boys with Subban logging 30 mins a night. Crosby releases a DVD documentary set where he just sits in front of the camera and cries nonstop.

The ECF of everyone's dreams. It's finally happened, they're meeting outside of the 1st round with a trip to the finals on the line and I won't predict it except for a few points. Marchand and Gallagher will fight in at least 2 games and Subban will draw at least 7 penalties.

Exciting times boys, exciting times!

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
The only thing I am afraid of with Tampa is Bishop.

I don't think he'll be a factor. His numbers are dropping every week and the team has gotten away from full defensive mode a bit since Stamkos has come back which plays into the hands of Montreal.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
They also have this Stamkos guy that I'm kind of worried about...

Stamkos and Callahan are the only things that really concern me about Tampa Bay, but Bishop is having a good year I suppose (obviously the best of his career so far). Thing is, with 0 playoff games on his resume it's hard to worry about what he'll do in crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad