The Out of Town Thread LXXVI - All News & Talk from Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

habitue*

McDonagh NEVER looked like a bust. His WJC performance is over-exaggerated by Gomez trade apologists who try to sweeten the memory by pretending the trade wasn't one of the bigger strokes of Pejorative Sluration by a GM in recent memory.

Kreider scores again, 16th of the season.. Louis Leblanc can't even hit 16 in the AHL. Terrible. **** you Centennial year.

How come other teams drafting before the Habs did not take him ?

In a perfect world, habs would have Getzlaf, Giroux, Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Kreider, McDonagh and Backes....

Instead, we have/had, AK, Fischer, Urqhuart, Maxwell, White, Leblanc, Gomez and Lapierre.......

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
McDonagh NEVER looked like a bust. His WJC performance is over-exaggerated by Gomez trade apologists who try to sweeten the memory by pretending the trade wasn't one of the bigger strokes of Pejorative Sluration by a GM in recent memory.

Kreider scores again, 16th of the season.. Louis Leblanc can't even hit 16 in the AHL. Terrible. **** you Centennial year.

Sideshow Bob Gainey. **** Sideshow Bob Gainey.

He caused so much damage to our team and our image in a span of one offseason... and to think, the arrogant **** retired HIS OWN NUMBER.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Is there a trade worse where the players are still in the NHL? I don't think so. Talk about bad luck with McDonagh turning a corner in his development when he looked like a bust.

I think you have mistaken McDonagh with David Fischer, who looked like a bust since day 1.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think you have mistaken McDonagh with David Fischer, who looked like a bust since day 1.

Bust was probably too strong of a word. However, he definitely regressed to the point where they felt he was expendable whether people want to believe it or not.

habitue*

Bust was probably too strong of a word. However, he definitely regressed to the point where they felt he was expendable whether people want to believe it or not.

McDonagh was more impressive than Collberg right now.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

He never regressed in his game. He didn't progressed offensively. Yet, the only thing left to think was that he'd STILL be a rock defensively, but maybe not with offensive instincts à la Chris Chelios we thought he'd have. Didn't mean to ship him for a Gomez. Never. Everybody can be traded. Always depends for who, and Gomez wasn't a good "who". Always makes me laugh though, we always think that because we have a great one, that we do can do without another one....we're not talking about goalies here. Nobody aside from Subban had the talent he had. And Subban didn't make McDonagh expendable. On the contrary, both should have been looked at as complementary.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He never regressed in his game. He didn't progressed offensively. Yet, the only thing left to think was that he'd STILL be a rock defensively, but maybe not with offensive instincts à la Chris Chelios we thought he'd have. Didn't mean to ship him for a Gomez. Never. Everybody can be traded. Always depends for who, and Gomez wasn't a good "who". Always makes me laugh though, we always think that because we have a great one, that we do can do without another one....we're not talking about goalies here. Nobody aside from Subban had the talent he had. And Subban didn't make McDonagh expendable. On the contrary, both should have been looked at as complementary.

I'm not arguing that he should have been traded to NY. It was an awful trade and one of the worst in the history of this club (top 5). What I'm saying is that I highly doubt there were many people, if any, who thought he woudl turn out like he has by watching his development curve.

Hotstreak

Jul 18, 2005
I'm not arguing that he should have been traded to NY. It was an awful trade and one of the worst in the history of this club (top 5). What I'm saying is that I highly doubt there were many people, if any, who thought he woudl turn out like he has by watching his development curve.

Well, Timmins for one....

Last edited:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well, Timmons for one....

You think Timmins, who had full reign on drafting and amateur scouting wouldn't have been able to veto the trade if he thought McDonagh was going to be a #1D top 15 defenseman in 3-4 years?

A lot of people don't give Gainey much respect around here, but they should. He made a mistake but he's not a moron and has accomplished a lot in the NHL.

Hotstreak

Jul 18, 2005
Why would Timmins have a trade veto over his boss?

There have always been rumours that Timmins begged Gainey not to go through with the trade when he heard about it. I guess we can't prove that, but there were certainly people that were very high on Mcdonagh at the time of the trade.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I read that as well, that Timmins was pissed when the trade went down.. Apparently it was more Gauthier than Gainey too

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You think Timmins, who had full reign on drafting and amateur scouting wouldn't have been able to veto the trade if he thought McDonagh was going to be a #1D top 15 defenseman in 3-4 years?

A lot of people don't give Gainey much respect around here, but they should. He made a mistake but he's not a moron and has accomplished a lot in the NHL.

The fact he gave value at all for Gomez was considered a joke at the time. McD was one of the team's top prospects and unless you consider his offensive stats as means to evaluate progression he was doing fine. He was made captain the following season...wouldn't happen unless he was doing well enough the season before.

This is ignoring the hindsight of Gomez falling off the hill and McD reaching his upside.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The fact he gave value at all for Gomez was considered a joke at the time. McD was one of the team's top prospects and unless you consider his offensive stats as means to evaluate progression he was doing fine. He was made captain the following season...wouldn't happen unless he was doing well enough the season before.

This is ignoring the hindsight of Gomez falling off the hill and McD reaching his upside.

By taking Gomez we were relieving the rangers from one of their biggest mistake/burden. Everyone knew rangers were going for Gaborik but didn't have the cap room with Gomez on board.. we were helping them.. but somehow Gainey thought he had to pay for that.. It's like he did it on purpose..

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
By taking Gomez we were relieving the rangers from one of their biggest mistake/burden. Everyone knew rangers were going for Gaborik but didn't have the cap room with Gomez on board.. we were helping them.. but somehow Gainey thought he had to pay for that.. It's like he did it on purpose..

I remember the exact intersection where I was waiting at a red light when I heard the news. I heard that we'd traded for Gomez and that the return was... (pause)... Higgins... (pause). At that point, I felt like it wasn't that bad. Then I heard that we had traded McDonough too and I lost my ****.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Higgins for Gomez, I could have dealt with. Why McDonagh was in that deal is beyond me. So dumb.

We could have had a top pairing of McDonagh-Subban, Markov as our #3 and Tinordi and Beaulieu coming up the ranks, almost ready for full time NHL duties.

EDSHabs

Dec 15, 2011
Water under the bridge my friends.

Also, if we had kept Mcdonagh, no Galchenyuk.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
McDonagh alone does not fix that mess of a season. It's revisionist history.

if having mcdo wins us one game in overtime, were no longer picking 3rd, were 4th. two games, were going up to like 6-7, 3 games.... you get the idea. so no, i don't think its revisionist history. i think it's logic

EDSHabs

Dec 15, 2011
McDonagh alone does not fix that mess of a season. It's revisionist history.

Does not put us in the playoff, but pretty sure we don't draft 3rd either.

Just looked it up, that season McDo got 32 point in 80 games with a +25.

So pretty sure no galchenyuk, but maybe a forsberg, girgensons or teravainen if we go with forward. Or trouba if we go with d.

So I guess not so bad either, but thats only whishfull thinking now.

Last edited:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Water under the bridge my friends.

Also, if we had kept Mcdonagh, no Galchenyuk.

I ****ing this loser mentality!!!

Why don't we trade Markov, Subban and Price for 1st rounders. Because you know... with these guys, we wouldn't have McDavid.

Subban, Pacioretty, Markov, Plekanec and Gallagher were not lottery picks. You don't need lottery picks to build a solid team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad