The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I totally agree that Bergevin arrived in a very decent situation. Lots of good pieces already in place and good drafting. But we can't deny that he identified what the team needed most (leadership, player dev. and an actual management team) and he promptly made the necessary adjustements. The only real area of weakness in terms of management is the coaches, both in MTL and in the AHL.

What Shanahan did so far is a little strange. What that franchise needed is a complete teardown and only then, a rebuild. So far, it looks like he's trying to do a little bit of both at the same time. Only way it works is if they find 2-3 core players with later picks.

Rebuild and yet the only player really shipped out has been Kessel. Why the hell is Phaneuf still a Leaf?

If anyone needed to go, it was that doofus.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Rebuild and yet the only player really shipped out has been Kessel. Why the hell is Phaneuf still a Leaf?

If anyone needed to go, it was that doofus.

I'm sure he's next. I guess they see something in him. I mean, we still have DD as our top line center...sometimes teams do weird things.

I think the Leafs are evaluating right now. Got rid of a cancer (kessel) and are now going to evaluate the team this year and make necessary changes. You can rebuild without getting rid of everyone.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Combine the cups on the Leafs management and coaching staff with the cups on Montreal's.

3 well respected hockey men who have actually won...and won a lot...uh, yea, I think that's the right way.

Furthermore, how Lemaire is not with this organization is beyond me....but Habs like to do things their way...been that way the last 20+ years.

So you think every team can and should throw 60-70 million at front office and coaches to have a think tank solve their woes? That kind of financial burden and pressure is always a recipe for success?

Or maybe getting some good hockey minds with cup experience like Yzerman and his crew for significantly cheaper might be a good option too?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm sure he's next. I guess they see something in him. I mean, we still have DD as our top line center...sometimes teams do weird things.

I think the Leafs are evaluating right now. Got rid of a cancer (kessel) and are now going to evaluate the team this year and make necessary changes. You can rebuild without getting rid of everyone.

I get what you're saying.

I just think Kessel got way more flack than he deserved, and for all intents and purposes Phaneuf is supposed to be their leader and he has done absolutely nothing to suggest he is a capable person for that job.

They don't need to ship everyone out, but if you're going to dispose of Kessel then I think disposing of Phaneuf in the same off season makes sense. They were both equally responsible for the train wreck, Phaneuf IMO more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad