The Out of Town Thread CVI - Congratulations Hawks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I want nothing to do with MSL and Lecavalier. We've went that route several times before, I'm sick of the Habs being a pre-retirement destination for local players on their last leg. This screams small time organization that's happy to get whatever it can. We should be above that now. We're one of the top teams in the East, it's time to act accordingly.

St.Louis could help a team on a Richards-type deal, but I'm not sure he fits on the Habs. I think guys like Hudon and Andrighetto can match his production(on a 3rd line) for a lot less.

MSL and even Lecavalier have more talent in their one arm than DD, Bouillon and whatever other parastie the Habs dig up out of St Zotique combined.

I want more good French players on this team, MSL would be better than Weise in either case. Lecavalier I dunno, I don't want him here at his salary but for the same term and cap hit as DD... why not? DD is garbage.

Lecavalier is a lot more "garbage" than Desharnais. He's on his last leg.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Martin St Louis had 52 points this year. He's not finished.

Sure looked like nearly done in the playoffs to me. Of course he'll sign another contract, but the odds of the team getting him to regret that decision it are high IMO.

Depends on the term/money given though. This might turn out to be Ray Whitney #2 IMO. Ask Dallas fans how that worked out.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The part that people here fail to grasp, is that with today's goalies, the difference between scoring and either hitting the post or the goalie making a big save is very small. This is not the 1980's where a 5'8" goalie only covers 50% of the net with tiny equipment.

It's not about moral victories, it's about having an accurate read on if you can beat team X or you can't. In today's NHL, half the series or more can go either way, a series can change on a bad bounce or lucky bounce.

Pretty sure that every team could then "accurate reading" that their team isn't too far hence, let's not make changes 'cause hey, next series, the posts that we took last year, will be goals this year. It's not an accurate read to think that since we almost beat TBay, that we are right up there with the others. 'Cause Detroit and Rangers were beaten in 7 against TBay.....so I guess they are better than us. TBay beat us too...so they are also better. Chicago won the Cup....better. Ducks were tough team to beat for Chicago....better? How many teams could you find excuses to believe that they are right up there with the best? And if the answer is "quite a few", well going with we touched a lot of posts, is not enough to believe that we will be better next year. We sucked offensively. Our bacon was saved by our goalie for a whole lot of games. Same goalie who is aobut to win the Vezina and the Hart. You think that it doesn't mean anything?

In today's NHL, we also won the Conference title......but we won it while having the least number of injuries by a mile compared to a lot of teams. While we are pretty much soft.....it still won't always be the same. We need to be able to be stronger to make up for the injuries that could kick in. Need to be stronger so that the very best goalie in the league won't have to save our bacon most of the time. And even him couldn't do a think to save us in the playoffs. In today's NHL, the best teams win. They overcome the posts.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli · 28m28 minutes ago
Kent Hughes says #Flyers have not contacted him about buying out Vinny Lecavalier, adding Vinny will not retire "under any circumstances."

Flyers are stuck with an other ugly contract.

Watching him play last year was hilarious. The guy is DONE.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pretty sure that every team could then "accurate reading" that their team isn't too far hence, let's not make changes 'cause hey, next series, the posts that we took last year, will be goals this year. It's not an accurate read to think that since we almost beat TBay, that we are right up there with the others. 'Cause Detroit and Rangers were beaten in 7 against TBay.....so I guess they are better than us. TBay beat us too...so they are also better. Chicago won the Cup....better. Ducks were tough team to beat for Chicago....better? How many teams could you find excuses to believe that they are right up there with the best? And if the answer is "quite a few", well going with we touched a lot of posts, is not enough to believe that we will be better next year. We sucked offensively. Our bacon was saved by our goalie for a whole lot of games. Same goalie who is aobut to win the Vezina and the Hart. You think that it doesn't mean anything?

In today's NHL, we also won the Conference title......but we won it while having the least number of injuries by a mile compared to a lot of teams. While we are pretty much soft.....it still won't always be the same. We need to be able to be stronger to make up for the injuries that could kick in. Need to be stronger so that the very best goalie in the league won't have to save our bacon most of the time. And even him couldn't do a think to save us in the playoffs. In today's NHL, the best teams win. They overcome the posts.

You're the one making excuses, except you're making excuses for wins. Montreal gets to the ECF, but according to you that accomplishment is diminished because the team got away with few injuries (even though Price's injury was the biggest of all).

You also make the excuse that Price saved our bacon, but ignore Bishop saving Tampa's bacon against all those shots we took, not to mention the goalposts.

You're making excuses to discredit Montreal, instead of recognizing that there's little separating the top teams, of which Montreal is one. Yes, Tampa and Chicago are better, but Montreal is close enough that a game or series could be decided on a bounce or hot-streak.

And before this is taken out of context, this does not absolve the Habs of the need to upgrade their offence and offensive system. But this woe-is-us, negative belittling of our team lacks perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad