Blue Jays Discussion: The other trade deadline passeth. You know, the complicated one. (Mod warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
He likely won’t bring anything of real value, but this idea that he’s dead weight may be excusable right now. Excuse his first month and he’s a 126 wRC+. Remove May as well and it balloons to 139.

Major League Leaderboards » 2018 » Batters » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

My lawd.

At the very least you'd have to think his value has increased substantially since they acquired him.

Probably roughly the same. Still doesn't walk, full season still sub 100 wRC+, and the defense is probably still perceived to be sub-par. More of a nice guy to have for the cost vs. actual valuable trade chip.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
He likely won’t bring anything of real value, but this idea that he’s dead weight may be excusable right now. Excuse his first month and he’s a 126 wRC+. Remove May as well and it balloons to 139.
If the brain trust of a likely post season team can convince itself that it has the prospect depth to withstand taking a flyer on veteran lefty power coming off the bench, I can see Morales as a target. His defensive negative value would be irrelevant as a bench player and his base clogging could be minimized by utilizing pinch runners. I guess the big question is how much is a contender willing to pay to acquire his services?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Probably roughly the same. Still doesn't walk, full season still sub 100 wRC+, and the defense is probably still perceived to be sub-par. More of a nice guy to have for the cost vs. actual valuable trade chip.

Not that they could get a great piece for him or anything, but I suspect they could get something better than JB Woodman. "Still sub 100 wRC+" is a little misleading since it was 78 last year (and 77 in AAA) and currently sits at 97. To me, "still sub 100" suggests it hasn't really changed, but it's up about 20 points.

The overall profile hasn't changed much at all, but the power is up significantly.

I mean... I have no interest in trading him at all anyway. He's a nice, cheap asset to have around during the transition years and moving into the next core.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So Alejandro "Pudgey" Kirk still raking, 4-5 1r 4rbi .352.

Otto Lopez 3-5 1r .324

For me, the most interesting guys to follow in the system are the ones who have a combination of patience at the plate and excellent contact skills: Vlad and Jansen at the top, obviously, and guys like Kirk, Lopez, Espinal, Jimenez (and, to a lesser extent, Cal Stevenson, who has the best BB/K rate in baseball by a mile but it really old for his level). I see those guys as the ones with the potential to really shoot up prospect rankings if they can make small adjustments to unlock more power (whereas I'm less confident in guys with poor discipline/contact ability suddenly figuring those things out).

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Not that they could get a great piece for him or anything, but I suspect they could get something better than JB Woodman. "Still sub 100 wRC+" is a little misleading since it was 78 last year (and 77 in AAA) and currently sits at 97. To me, "still sub 100" suggests it hasn't really changed, but it's up about 20 points.

The overall profile hasn't changed much at all, but the power is up significantly.

I mean... I have no interest in trading him at all anyway. He's a nice, cheap asset to have around during the transition years and moving into the next core.

Fair and valid points. The bolded I believe is the prevailing factor that indicates the value.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Never thought I'd see so many people who couldn't care less about thew Blue Jays, and have no vested interest in the success of the franchise, be so annoyed by a prospect not being in the majors. The comment section from the vlad article yesterday, and now Kiley in his chat (i.e. "do right by the kid"), are a bit much.

Its been 75 PA's in Triple-A for a 19 year old......calm the **** down.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Never thought I'd see so many people who couldn't care less about thew Blue Jays, and have no vested interest in the success of the franchise, be so annoyed by a prospect not being in the majors. The comment section from the vlad article yesterday, and now Kiley in his chat (i.e. "do right by the kid"), are a bit much.

*whiny kid voice*

but I need it right noooooooowwwwwwww.

*stomps feet*

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Thank god we are in the dome for the first 2 series (Detriot then Baltimore). April 4-7 in Cleveland and April 15-18 in Minny could be a problem weather-wise. Maybe even the April 9th and 11th games in Boston too which might be an error; schedule has an off day on April 8th, playing in Boston on the 9th, off day on the 10th and playing Boston again on the 11th. First 2 game series with an off day in between i have seen.

upload_2018-8-22_12-29-54.png

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

What they want is more important than what the team wants. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the organization is embarassing itself.

Vlad will have every reason to hold it against them in future contract talks.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Strange that they only put the March/April/May schedule online, but there was a tweet from them about it that featured highlighted dates all the way through August.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Strange that they only put the March/April/May schedule online, but there was a tweet from them about it that featured highlighted dates all the way through August.

I did not notice that when I first posted it. Hopefully they will update it soon.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Thank god we are in the dome for the first 2 series (Detriot then Baltimore). April 4-7 in Cleveland and April 15-18 in Minny could be a problem weather-wise. Maybe even the April 9th and 11th games in Boston too which might be an error; schedule has an off day on April 8th, playing in Boston on the 9th, off day on the 10th and playing Boston again on the 11th. First 2 game series with an off day in between i have seen.

I actually don't think it is that uncommon. They'll usually leave the following day of a home opener free just in case it gets rained out.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
Just wait boys.. we get to go through this all again at the start of next year for a few weeks (regarding vlad).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kris Bryant really held it against the Cubs. This is expected.

the cubs have been world series contenders every year Bryant has been in the majors, with a top-5 payroll.

not so sure the Jays will be offering a similarly enticing situation.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

As long as you feel the same way about Bryant and the Cubs, Acuna and the Braves, Torres and the Yankees, Jimenez and the White Sox, and all the other cases out there, then at least you're consistent in your opinion.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Didn't AA do this very thing when he held up Acuna, the #1 prospect in baseball, in order to save on service time? On a playoff contending team, to boot?

Reactions: kb

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
As long as you feel the same way about Bryant and the Cubs, Acuna and the Braves, Torres and the Yankees, Jimenez and the White Sox, and all the other cases out there, then at least you're consistent in your opinion.

not one of them had a line like Vladdy has this year.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
not one of them had a line like Vladdy has this year.
Who cares? He's barely played in triple A. There is no rush with bringing him up. Don't throw him into the gongshow let him develop slowly. I don't think behind held back has ever played a part in contract negotiations.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Who cares? He's barely played in triple A. There is no rush with bringing him up. Don't throw him into the gongshow let him develop slowly. I don't think behind held back has ever played a part in contract negotiations.

what is the goal of keeping Vladdy down in the minors?

is it to make it easier for us to keep him for longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad