OT: The Other Sports Thread VII - NBA Finals: Raptors vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
If you haven't been paying attention to Mike Soroka, you've been missing out. This 21 yo pitcher from Calgary playing for Atlanta Braves is tearing up the majors. At this point, he's 5-1, with an ERA of 1.01 and a WHIP of .873

Was he highly touted? Not many Canadian pitchers come in and make immediate impact at such a young age. Dempster came in young but wasnt effective. Paxton was 24. Ferguson Jenkins, but that is going back a long time.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The Braves are doing it again like in the 90's, their young rotation is simply unreal. Max Fried is really something.
Really fun team to watch with the rest of the young talent they have on the field

Reactions: groovejuice

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I apologize if you felt I was attacking you personally. I was not. I was only commenting on your original post, which was wrong. I dug up statistics to back my point of view up, but feel free to provide a counter argument if you wish to.

I do watch the game. I have been all season long. Both Milwaukee and the Raptors. If you feel like a handful of games you've seen this postseason is enough to give you an educated opinion on a player so be it. But you do not have the full picture. Even for the tiny sample size you choose to consider.
Sorry I was a bit of a dink there too. Just that I do think Kawhi is a little better offensively because I find he can shoot from more places and I find he utilizes his teammates better. His defense also helps his offense a lot too as it leads to many turnovers resulting in fast breaks.

Both are great. Giannis could be better if he works on his long range shooting. Raptors seem to have a pretty good formula for keeping him and the bucks at bay and I would think other teams will take notes. If he can develop into a better mid range or long range shooter, he could become unstoppable

As of right now though, Leonard is a better player imo and were seeing it this series. I feel like his leg is better now and last night we saw what he can do with a bit of support. The raps are a fantastic team when they start making their shots. Their defense is nuts

Reactions: GoodKiwi

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Was he highly touted? Not many Canadian pitchers come in and make immediate impact at such a young age. Dempster came in young but wasnt effective. Paxton was 24. Ferguson Jenkins, but that is going back a long time.

Soroka was very highly touted. Drafted by the Braves at 28th at the age of 17. As @Habs 4 Life mentioned, with Max Fried and Austin Riley, the Braves likely have the best young stable of pitching in the Majors.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Sixers I feel are the better team. They can hurt you in many ways and that defense rivals the raptors. I'd bet on them every time vs the bucks. I don't think Giannis would dare well against all the giants that the Sixers have.
Sixers are flawed too though. They have a superstar running the floor that refuses to or just can't shoot a jump shot. I don't know what Butler is thinking but if I was the Sixers, I would be all in on Butler and trade Simmons. That combo of Embiid and Simmons won't ever work.

Reactions: DangerDave

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sixers are flawed too though. They have a superstar running the floor that refuses to or just can't shoot a jump shot. I don't know what Butler is thinking but if I was the Sixers, I would be all in on Butler and trade Simmons. That combo of Embiid and Simmons won't ever work.
I think playing Simmons prepared the Raptors to face Giannis...

If you think about it...Simmons and Giannis play similar games (although Giannis is more explosive and a better athlete) they share the same strengths and weaknesses.

They don't want to shoot and they both want to bully their way to the rim to shoot or dish to open teammates...the Raps locked up Simmons last series and they're doing it to Giannis now.

Reactions: DangerDave

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
for the future you take Giannis sure, but now RIGHT now?

Everything Giannis can do Kawhi can do, And Giannis cant do everything Kawhi can do

The mere fact that they are similar players but Kawhi can shoot pull up 2's , step back 3's AND play amazing defense (and all on 1 knee right now to boot), gives him the edge
Watching Giannis take free throws and try 2 point mid range jumpers has been truly eye opening lol, lot of work to do

Said it before the season started and ill say it again Kawhi is a top 3 player in the LEAGUE, you make that trade 11 times out of 10

If Giannis played more like Lebron, Milwaukee would be guaranteed in the finals, but thank god for Kawhi, the Lebron slayer

Reactions: DangerDave and 417

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
for the future you take Giannis sure, but now RIGHT now?

Everything Giannis can do Kawhi can do, And Giannis cant do everything Kawhi can do

The mere fact that they are similar players but Kawhi can shoot pull up 2's , step back 3's AND play amazing defense (and all on 1 knee right now to boot), gives him the edge
Watching Giannis take free throws and try 2 point mid range jumpers has been truly eye opening lol, lot of work to do

Said it before the season started and ill say it again Kawhi is a top 3 player in the LEAGUE, you make that trade 11 times out of 10

If Giannis played more like Lebron, Milwaukee would be guaranteed in the finals, but thank god for Kawhi, the Lebron slayer
I agree 100%. I will say that Giannis is better than Kawhi (and pretty much everyone else) at bullying his way to the rim. The fact that teams know it's coming and still can't stop it speaks to how good he is at it.

Kawhi though is less predictable so he has similar success when doing that himself. It's not for nothing that we're seeing comparisons to Jordan. Even if he leaves next year, it was a fantastic trade. May as well go all in with this talented but aging core.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watching the Yanks playing at KC on MLB TV, I realize now how few games are on the typical regular cable package.

I had not noticed that Yankee pitcher Adam Ottavino, was sporting the number zero, the last single-digit Yankee number that has not been retired:

adam-ottavino-numer-zero-0-yankees-jersey.jpg

Maybe he chose it on account of the two "O"hs in his name, creates a symmetry with the zero.

Other thing I noticed is how oversized some of those OF gloves are. What's up with that? They took a page from NHL goalie gloves from 20 years ago?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Well, it's a rebuild and to top it off, they're starting rotation has been ravaged by injuries. They have a bright future
Unsure of which team you're talking about here, but San Diego has the best farm in baseball (well, if you include Tatis and Paddack as "in the farm").

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't follow basketball that much....like at all...but are the Bucks suppose to be the best thing since slice bread? How the hell do you go from leading by 15 points to be tied in 5 minutes? lol

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What a play by Kahwi... Im in awe. Such an exciting game. And I hate all things Toronto.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't follow basketball that much....like at all...but are the Bucks suppose to be the best thing since slice bread? How the hell do you go from leading by 15 points to be tied in 5 minutes? lol

They did that last game or the game before where they went into the 4th Quarter with the lead and lost the game. I don't follow basketball much, either. But I like the Raptors but I am rooting for the Greek Freak more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad