OT: The Other Sports Thread VII - NBA Finals: Raptors vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Kawhi turned Raptors into contenders just like that and he's doing it without any player that's even close to his level. If he teams up with another superstar, wherever he ends up this summer that team will instantly become legit contenders.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
They willed themselves into this one, these are toughest games to win. I hope they get the job done in Tranna.

Reactions: Redux91

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kawhi turned Raptors into contenders just like that and he's doing without any player that's even close to his level. If he teams up with another superstar, wherever he ends up this summer that team will instantly become legit contenders.

He's a tough guy to get a read on, and he doesn't seem to leak out any hints.

There's not a team in this league that doesn't need a kwhai Leonard. I really have no clue where he lands in the summer, and what he values the most in his destination.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I knew Kawhi Leonard was good but not that good. The guy is clutch.
You should've seen him in the "Zaza" post-season two years ago. That was something else, even compared to this postseason.

Reactions: Redux91

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Kawhi turned Raptors into contenders just like that and he's doing it without any player that's even close to his level. If he teams up with another superstar, wherever he ends up this summer that team will instantly become legit contenders.
I mostly agree, but ironically enough the best Raptors team I've ever seen was the one in game 4. They didn't have to reply on Kawhi in it and it was something else to witness.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I mostly agree, but ironically enough the best Raptors team I've ever seen was the one in game 4. They didn't have to reply on Kawhi in it and it was something else to witness.
Kawhi out here posting on HFBoards checking for his notifications to light up.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Giannis just because of the age. That said, Leonard is a better player offensively and defensively. He's more versatile and consistent because of it.

Also, Giannis needs to stop travelling.
Kawhi isn't better offensively, he's just much more relied on.

I'm a Leonard fanboy, but there's no denying that Antetokounmpo can do things Kawhi can't around the rim. Right now you might question his outside shooting ability, but you will not in a couple of years. He is going to be the most dominant player in the NBA for a while.

That said, I am not sure I've ever seen a defensive juggernaut of Leonard's caliber live. His stretch against the Sixers was the most impressive thing ever. Look up the advanced stats if you don't believe me. No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever come close to this kind of dominance. As impressive as you think his offensive stats were during it, do me a favour and see what the underlaying defensive numbers were.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Kawhi isn't better offensively, he's just much more relied on.

I'm a Leonard fanboy, but there's no denying that Antetokounmpo can do things Kawhi can't around the rim. Right now you might question his outside shooting ability, but you will not in a couple of years. He is going to be the most dominant player in the NBA for a while.

That said, I am not sure I've ever seen a defensive juggernaut of Leonard's caliber live. His stretch against the Sixers was the most impressive thing ever. Look up the advanced stats if you don't believe me. No one, and I mean NO ONE has ever come close to this kind of dominance. As impressive as you think his offensive stats were during it, do me a favour and see what the underlaying defensive numbers were.
In today's NBA, that's massive. Being one dimensional is no good in the playoffs. Giannis has his little euro step move but the rest of his game is very raw. He needs to develop a step back J or something because teams are starting to figure him out. Giannis' defense is actually pretty solid however.

Leonard on the other hand is a fantastic shooter and passer so even when teams are double covering him, he can still be deadly. In my opinion, he's so much more impressive. The fact that he can do all these things on an otherwise pretty underwhelming raptors team is amazing

Reactions: 417

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
He's a tough guy to get a read on, and he doesn't seem to leak out any hints.

There's not a team in this league that doesn't need a kwhai Leonard. I really have no clue where he lands in the summer, and what he values the most in his destination.
If raps make the playoffs, I actually think he resigns. He strikes me as someone who wants to be the guy (ruling out the likes of the Lakers) and still be on a winning team. He's hard to get a read on but I think he actually likes it quite a bit in Toronto based on his interview he had with Ibaka.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man still buzzin' over last night's game...

I haven't been that impressed by the Bucks, I thought the Sixers were a much tougher matchup.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In today's NBA, that's massive. Being one dimensional is no good in the playoffs. Giannis has his little euro step move but the rest of his game is very raw. He needs to develop a step back J or something because teams are starting to figure him out. Giannis' defense is actually pretty solid however.

Leonard on the other hand is a fantastic shooter and passer so even when teams are double covering him, he can still be deadly. In my opinion, he's so much more impressive. The fact that he can do all these things on an otherwise pretty underwhelming raptors team is amazing
Raps essentially play a 1-2-2 whenever Giannis has the ball, he always does the same thing, attack the rim, he runs into 2-3 defenders who put their hands up and establish their position and Giannis is forced to pass it or take a low percentage shot.

He's a great player but yes, he's going to have to develop more counter moves.

Reactions: DangerDave

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

You insult my intelligence by saying that he's "one dimensional".

This one dimensional player has shot 50% from the field and 32% from the 3 this postseason. Oh, and there's also something like 13RPG and 6APG.

But that aside... let's consider for a moment that he isn't capable of attacking the rim. Do you know that he's only behind Shaq EVER at the statistic (contested dunks) in the modern era? Do you understand that he is the most efficient inside shooter that's ever been since Wilt at his current age?

Giannis is 24 years old and is going to win the MVP this season most probably. I wouldn't be as livid had you simply stated that Kawhi is a better defensive player than Giannis. That would be very fair and even accurate. But you can't possibly get away with proclaiming Antetokounmpo is a "one dimensional" player. That's wrong by any and every measure.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Raps essentially play a 1-2-2 whenever Giannis has the ball, he always does the same thing, attack the rim, he runs into 2-3 defenders who put their hands up and establish their position and Giannis is forced to pass it or take a low percentage shot.

He's a great player but yes, he's going to have to develop more counter moves.
That IS the coaching strategy. Has been the entire season long. Not his fault Bledsoe and Middleton can't shoot for crap this series.

MIL was the second best 3 point shooting team in the NBA this season. And guess who was #1 overall at 3PT assists?

It's how they want to play, you are off your rocker saying Giannis is unsuccessful at attacking the rim.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Even defensively... Let's dive into the advanced statistics.

One of only two wings in top 20 in real defensive +/-
Third best defensive rating in the entire NBA
The best in the league at holding opponents to 0.82 points per chance
Second overall in defensive rebounding

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Woah. Take a breath. Watch the game. Realize Giannis does the same thing every play and that he needs to work on his shot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That IS the coaching strategy. Has been the entire season long. Not his fault Bledsoe and Middleton can't shoot for crap this series.
In the playoffs, when you're facing a team 4 to 7 times...coaching strategies like that matter more then during regular season games.

And i'm not faulting Giannis, I think he's going to develop that part of his game and it's going to make him even more unstoppable. It's just that right now, it's easy to guard him and if you control Giannis, you control the Bucks.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
In the playoffs, when you're facing a team 4 to 7 times...coaching strategies like that matter more then during regular season games.

And i'm not faulting Giannis, I think he's going to develop that part of his game and it's going to make him even more unstoppable. It's just that right now, it's easy to guard him and if you control Giannis, you control the Bucks.
No you don't. At least not judging by 90 odd games this season.

They play on the perimeter and that's what Budenholzer wants Giannis to play a large role in. They have been lights out from the outside, mostly because of what the Greek Freak does on the inside.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Woah. Take a breath. Watch the game. Realize Giannis does the same thing every play and that he needs to work on his shot.
I apologize if you felt I was attacking you personally. I was not. I was only commenting on your original post, which was wrong. I dug up statistics to back my point of view up, but feel free to provide a counter argument if you wish to.

I do watch the game. I have been all season long. Both Milwaukee and the Raptors. If you feel like a handful of games you've seen this postseason is enough to give you an educated opinion on a player so be it. But you do not have the full picture. Even for the tiny sample size you choose to consider.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No you don't. At least not judging by 90 odd games this season.
No team has played Giannis like the Raptors have throughout this series...not for 5 games.

Again, regular season you don't face the same team, with the same game plan, with the same players for 4 to 7 games.

They play on the perimeter and that's what Budenholzer wants Giannis to play a large role in. They have been lights out from the outside, mostly because of what the Greek Freak does on the inside.
Well yeah...Lopez, Mirotic, Middleton, Connaughton are hitting their shots, then it's a different story.

But for the most part, they haven't...Giannis is turning the ball over quite a bit as well whenever the Raptors collapse on him.

I was much more impressed by the Sixers then I have been by the Bucks.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The Raptors seem to have this Bucs team figured out. Get back quickly on D, take away the easy transition baskets, play tough, team defence. Hit the Freak in the mouth - no easy buckets.

On the flip side, Kawhi seems more comfortable. He's able to adjust to what the defense is giving him, and is making great decisions with the ball - when to shoot, drive, dish, etc... No panic in his game.

I'll be going to game 6. can't wait!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
No team has played Giannis like the Raptors have throughout this series...not for 5 games.

Again, regular season you don't face the same team, with the same game plan, with the same players for 4 to 7 games.

Well yeah...Lopez, Mirotic, Middleton, Connaughton are hitting their shots, then it's a different story.

But for the most part, they haven't...Giannis is turning the ball over quite a bit as well whenever the Raptors collapse on him.

I was much more impressed by the Sixers then I have been by the Bucks.
Sixers I feel are the better team. They can hurt you in many ways and that defense rivals the raptors. I'd bet on them every time vs the bucks. I don't think Giannis would dare well against all the giants that the Sixers have.

Reactions: 417

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If you haven't been paying attention to Mike Soroka, you've been missing out. This 21 yo pitcher from Calgary playing for Atlanta Braves is tearing up the majors. At this point, he's 5-1, with an ERA of 1.01 and a WHIP of .873

Reactions: the valiant effort
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad