Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
What a f***ing asshole.

I don't give a shit if his contract is up. Wait until the end of the f***ing year, not when your current team is fighting for their lives in the second round.
Brad Holland needs to be fired as well. Spare me the "muh analytics". We started with zero analytics literally anything is a level up on that.

You need to find actual smart people not the son of someone who is an incremental improvement.

25m for 5 years as the highest paid GM in the league. Scammed the Oilers while being the most incompetent GM I've ever seen. f*** him, dude.
That piece of shit Bob Nicholson should be banned from Rogers.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Brad Holland needs to be fired as well. Spare me the "muh analytics". We started with zero analytics literally anything is a level up on that.

You need to find actual smart people not the son of someone who is an incremental improvement.

That piece of shit Bob Nicholson should be banned from Rogers.

Should've been gone after the Hockey Canada Hush money fiasco was brought up. Take his shit overpaid burger with him. Nicholson is just as much at fault as both Holland and Chiarelli. How that asshole is allowed to be here while promoting his wife's books is just infuriating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think they’ll go with skinner just to wake the team up. Might as well go with your best guy if your seasons on the line and hope he figures it out.
Its playoffs. Skinner has never been the best guy, not either postseason, and not even close and the vast majority of starts he gets goalied by the other guy.

Really I'd despise the team starting Skinner and especially after seeing how well Pickard has played.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Disagree on this. Hyman has been a ghost all series and RNH is Marner 2.0 when playoffs hit. Nobody on these board seem to notice because he's only earning half the salary.

McDavid is doing all he can with 2 wingers that haven't pissed a drop this series. RNH I expected, but the Nucks defense's top priority is keeping out all forwards from the exact part of the ice that Hyman finds success.

My only criticism of McDavid is that he's not shooting enough. Insane he can go from a 64 goal scorer to a passer-only from season to season.

May as well go all out while we have McDavid under contract. Would aim for Ullmark or Saros to start. A rookie goalie isn't going to do shit for us next year.
Cmon man you just proved my point. The top line has been garbage so switch it up and put Mcdavid with Drai

Sure Hyman and Nuge haven't been great, but either has Mcdavid. Connor doesn't get some sort of immunity from criticism, he's turning pucks over, not shooting, etc

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What a f***ing asshole.

I don't give a shit if his contract is up. Wait until the end of the f***ing year, not when your current team is fighting for their lives in the second round.
Going for a job interview with another team while your current organization and the team you constructed is in an absolute dog fight in the playoffs is kind of a slap in the face imo.

25 million dollars and he’s out there door before the run is even over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Should've been gone after the Hockey Canada Hush money fiasco was brought up. Take his shit overpaid burger with him. Nicholson is just as much at fault as both Holland and Chiarelli. How that asshole is allowed to be here while promoting his wife's books is just infuriating.
People wonder why I stopped giving this org any of my money decades ago. Its a corrupt org that makes poor decisions with little due process or evaluation.

Its the "I know a thing or two about winning and the fans are 3rd tier if ever theres any doubt"

Undoubtedly our superstars as well must reflect at times on how poorly run the org has been.

Disagree on this. Hyman has been a ghost all series and RNH is Marner 2.0 when playoffs hit. Nobody on these board seem to notice because he's only earning half the salary.

McDavid is doing all he can with 2 wingers that haven't pissed a drop this series. RNH I expected, but the Nucks defense's top priority is keeping out all forwards from the exact part of the ice that Hyman finds success.

My only criticism of McDavid is that he's not shooting enough. Insane he can go from a 64 goal scorer to a passer-only from season to season.

May as well go all out while we have McDavid under contract. Would aim for Ullmark or Saros to start. A rookie goalie isn't going to do shit for us next year.
Not what people would expect me to say but Nuge is playing smarter hockey than McD is. Making better decisions, being more responsible positionally. My critique of Nuge is he can make more of a difference and isn't cashing. But the best player in the world only has 2 goals and is shooting worse and making worse plays and being more out of position, and well, being responsible for more GA.

Now lets factor that Nuge is making only 40% of what McD is and yet is being arguably better in the playoffs. Certainly not worse in anycase.

Reactions: PBandJ and McAsuno

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Yeah, I did f*** all to go all in for my team, but here I am going to CBJ quietly. Fire this piece of shit.

Holland takes his orders from Bettman and the Board of Governors.

He'll do it again, his job, for another club.

The damage Holland willfully committed will be long lasting in Edmonton.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016

Holland and Chiarelli (still feeling the effects of).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Going for a job interview with another team while your current organization and the team you constructed is in an absolute dog fight in the playoffs is kind of a slap in the face imo.

The other thing is that some team will actually line up and pay the guy to have some GM that looks asleep all the time, this is too old to even care or have all the energy it takes to carefully manage an org. The guys hasn't had it for decades and still gets the big money based on Detroit Halcyon that either did or didn't have a lot to do with him.

Good jobs if you can get it. Nicholson, Holland should write books on how to fool some of the people all of the time. Anybody buying the book is fooled too. What these two have in common is they schmooze. They will talk to all the right people, stay connected with all the right people and not cross those connections too many times. The Oilers were just a place to land. When Holland often says its hard to get one over other GM's or get a deal or something really he's saying he doesn't want to do. What he means instead is he wants to do favors to other orgs so that he always has options on further jobs. If he's a vampire like Bettman he'll be doing this 100 yrs from now....jk

Last edited:
Reactions: McAsuno and PBandJ

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wrong. I provided the article and graph. Wayne production is elevated in playoffs. Of course Connor is one of the best players of all time. The story and article shows which players have elevated the most all time, and complete with what coefficients of elevation. Everybody we think of as big game hunters, playoff legends like Mess, they elevate. So did wayne, so did Kurri, so did Glenn Anderson, they all see greater production in playoffs vs regular season. does it matter? Yeah, in the most important time in seasons where margins are slim it can be the difference maker.
I think it's fair to point out that Gretzky had elite forwards Kurri, Messier, and Anderson in the playoffs which gave the defenders more to worry about than just him. McDavid has Drai and no one else who could be considered anything more than average.

This season, though, McDavid has become only an assist guy and that's on him. If everyone knows that you're going to pass it's much easier to defend against. He's taking so long to shoot this year that even Skinner could stop him:laugh:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Holland and Chiarelli (still feeling the effects of).
I still see lots of fans jumping up and down with excitement but it sure isn't like it used to be.

The market is waking up and some are quitting on the game that quit on them a long time ago.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Exactly. It’s mad disrespectful not only to the fans, but especially to the coaches and the players mainly the core that spent the last 5 years with him believing his bullshit on helping them win a cup.

Reactions: TB12 and PBandJ

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it's fair to point out that Gretzky had elite forwards Kurri, Messier, and Anderson in the playoffs which gave the defenders more to worry about than just him. McDavid has Drai and no one else who could be considered anything more than average.

This season, though, McDavid has become only an assist guy and that's on him. If everyone knows that you're going to pass it's much easier to defend against. He's taking so long to shoot this year that even Skinner could stop him:laugh:
Hyman just came off a 54 goal season and has 9 in playoffs. Of the two Drai has worse linemates and still produces. Its an excuse. Drai even makes Holloway happen, He makes even McLeod happen, currently he's the only one making Kane happen. Fact of the matter is Drai can get more out of ordinary players than McD can. Nor are Nuge or Hyman ordinary.

Season and playoffs HYman now has twice as many goals as McD while you're expressing concern that his wingers are holding McD back..

Gretz often played with Kurri, yes, he also often had a third that was not a star. Guys like Krushylnyski.

lets remember as well Gretz even got fire hydrants like Blair Macdonald over 40 goals.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

The damage like what exactly? When Holland arrived we were a perrenial bottom feeder. He turned us into a perennial playoff team. I know which I prefer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The damage like what exactly? When Holland arrived we were a perrenial bottom feeder. He turned us into a perennial playoff team. I know which I prefer
We're heavily mortaged our future for what was not even a serious run. We have limiited prospects have given away a lot of futures picks and the team has only gotten old, real old. Oldest NHL team in league at present.

If one looks at more specifics he paid the wrong guy big coin, Nurse, and the next GM is going to have hell on Earth trying to pay Booch, trying to pay Drai, and wondering why we have 5M buck goalie in the minors still longterm, and residuals remaining from buyouts

In space race equivalence Holland was here for a moon landing. to help the club get the ultimate prize, SC. Not only we didn't get that, we didn't even get moon orbit once with several launchers and now our teams futures is lost in space. hopefully not with another sequel. I've seen enough.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
believe whatever narrative or at least claim to believe in any narrative you wish

if you really believe in the statement you just made, stay content with the ol' rigmarole

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Holland made a lot of mistakes...some of those mistakes will have long term consequences.
I think that might be what @Broberg Speed was suggesting.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
We're heavily mortaged our future for what was not even a serious run. We have limiited prospects have given away a lot of futures picks and the team has only gotten old, real old. Oldest NHL team in league at present.

If one looks at more specifics he paid the wrong guy big coin, Nurse, and the next GM is going to have hell on Earth trying to pay Booch, trying to pay Drai, and wondering why we have 5M buck goalie in the minors still longterm, and residuals remaining from buyouts

In space race equivalence Holland was here for a moon landing. to help the club get the ultimate prize, SC. Not only we didn't get that, we didn't even get moon orbit once with several launchers and now our teams futures is lost in space. hopefully not with another sequel. I've seen enough.
All that being said he did more in 5 years than any GM did in the last two decades. I get the Nurse and Campbell deals are horrid but every team deals with bad contracts every single one. His drafting was absolutely sub par. But again we were a bottom feeder and became a perennial playoff team. We made the WCF once and the second round 3 times. Flashback to 2018 and tell me you wouldn’t take that at the time.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

This is true. Gretzky had elite wingers like kurri Anderson Simpson for years. In the entirety of their careers in Edmonton we have 2 years of Zach Hyman for both mcdavid and drai.

Rest of the wingers are pretty much d grade khaira Yamamoto Foegele tier.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Hyman just came off a 54 goal season and has 9 in playoffs. Of the two Drai has worse linemates and still produces. Its an excuse. Drai even makes Holloway happen, He makes even McLeod happen, currently he's the only one making Kane happen. Fact of the matter is Drai can get more out of ordinary players than McD can. Nor are Nuge or Hyman ordinary.

Season and playoffs HYman now has twice as many goals as McD while you're expressing concern that his wingers are holding McD back..

Gretz often played with Kurri, yes, he also often had a third that was not a star. Guys like Krushylnyski.

lets remember as well Gretz even got fire hydrants like Blair Macdonald over 40 goals.

Yup, Hyman and even Nuge are good enough line mates for McDavid to produce with in the playoffs. Saying he has no one is ignorant and lazy outsider narrative

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup, Hyman and even Nuge are good enough line mates for McDavid to produce with in the playoffs. Saying he has no one is ignorant and lazy outsider narrative
Of course. To add I've often stated here when our first line has the D pair of Booch and Ekholm to also work off its one of the best 5 man units in hockey. They're getting the gold D pair most of the time.

Should be doing better than this EV.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Quite right, the supporting cast for those Oiler teams back in the 80's was much stronger than what you see today.

Guys like Lumley, Mclelland, McSorley etc. were tough to play against but they also scored the odd goal in the playoffs--some of them vey timely. Compare that to the boxcars for most of the supporting players on today's roster.

This is true. Gretzky had elite wingers like kurri Anderson Simpson for years. In the entirety of their careers in Edmonton we have 2 years of Zach Hyman for both mcdavid and drai.

Rest of the wingers are pretty much d grade khaira Yamamoto Foegele tier.
No Kenny Linesman or Mike Krushelniski either.

Glenn Anderson had more big goals in the playoffs than Gretzky did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad