OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'd love to see a small ball team from the 80's go against these teams. With the way they shift around those teams would be hitting through the line up every inning.
Willie McGee, Vince Coleman, Rickey Henderson would all be hitting .450 on bunts alone. With their speed they would become triples after 2 steals.

Reactions: predhead1

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
The way to fix this is really to move the mound back. The biggest factor contributing to the increase in HR vs balls in play is pitch velocity (avg FB has gone up from 91 to 93 since like 2014). Moving back would both decrease velocity at the plate and give batters more time to react.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The way to fix this is really to move the mound back. The biggest factor contributing to the increase in HR vs balls in play is pitch velocity (avg FB has gone up from 91 to 93 since like 2014). Moving back would both decrease velocity at the plate and give batters more time to react.
Or they could learn how to play actual baseball again rather than an expensive version of stickball.

Reactions: predhead1
Jul 12, 2007
Pitching has really developed into a weird science. They now have guys who pitch to get one out only, face one lefty only. Stat line of one-third inning pitched.

There are actually 2-3 inning starts now. Just get to the bridge guys (innings 4-5-6) then the pre-setup guy (7) then the setup guy (8) then the closer (9). All teams now have the closer (does the 9th), backup closer (does the 8th), 3rd string closer (does the 7th).

If you are a lefty who can throw a baseball over the plate at 95 plus, you have a 1 m $ contract waiting on you.

In the old days, they would always try to get 9 innings out of the starter. If a reliever came on in the 4th or 5th, they’d want him to end the game in the 9th. A LOT easier to hit those guys in that scenario.

Couple this new tactical pitching with a lot more kids chucking it 100 mph, that could be a big part of this hitting situation.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2007
It shows in today’s stats too. Degrom gets not-very-many wins, but he always has a miniscule era / whip and big strikeouts ...... and a Cy Young most years lol.
He just doesn’t pitch a lot of innings past 4 or 5. The occasional complete game 2-hitter, but lots of 4-5-6 innings.

Jul 12, 2007
Imagine trying to hit a 105-108 fastball from Aroldis Chapman.

Some funny guys in the past-
-John Kruk crawled away from the plate after a K from Unit Johnson
-Some guy brought a chair leg to the plate, maybe against Feller ?
-Umpire says “I couldn’t see it .... sounded like a called strike”

If you want a great, cool read about such things, google “Steve Dalkowski”

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

I am as old school baseball fan as it gets, but at some point I do think this has to be considered. Just look at the pitching today- watch any game and pay attention to the team's bullpens. It feels like almost every pitcher who comes into a game throws upper 90's- and it used to be every team may have 1 or 2 of those guys. Huge, huge difference that is never going away.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Online play
I do not play that game online.
They would hate me though. You must play my teenage daughter because she gets mad when I bunt and steal bases on her. I pulled a suicide squeeze off on her and she said “you can’t do that can you” sadly I had to explain what a suicide squeeze was and she had never seen it before.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
lol Teams from the 80’s would shred teams today. Pitchers today can not make it past 5 innings. A prime Nolan Ryan would have 500 strikeouts a season.

It's a shame we'll never actually know but hitters in the 80s just aren't touching guys like deGrom, Cole, Glasnow, etc. And guys like Trout and Acuna would just destroy a bunch of the junkballers back then.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Trout is an exception to the rule but guys like Ryan, Jonson, and Woods all threw 100 as well. Remember too that radar has gotten better and now picks it up out of the hand not at the plate like in the 90s. We have high school guys here in middle Tennessee hit 100 now.
I think Maddox would destroy today’s hitters and he lived in the upper 80s

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Rodgers wants out of GB. any ads fans on here also packer fans? can’t say i blame him for wanting out after putting up with McCarthy for so long and i think taking a QB in the first round last year is something he won’t ever get over.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It's a shame we'll never actually know but hitters in the 80s just aren't touching guys like deGrom, Cole, Glasnow, etc. And guys like Trout and Acuna would just destroy a bunch of the junkballers back then.
Yeah They never faced guys named Gooden, Ryan or Clemens. And those junk ballers actually knew how to pitch now just throw. Willie McGee and Rickey Henderson would terrorize pitchers today with their speed alone. Hitters also knew how to go the other way and find holes in the defense instead of being one dimensional pull hitters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad