OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Best QB in the league this season in my book, probably the MVP as well. Baltimore went from the most boring, least imaginative offense to the most fun to watch in 2 years and I couldn't be happier.
Still can't believe Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen went before Jackson in the draft.

I found it ridiculous at the time and it's even more ridiculous today.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think they're better...their respective D's are comparable but the offense is much better with the 2019 edition .
I think this year's D is amongst the best ever, don't kid yourself, you saw what they did to Aaron Rodgers.

Reactions: 417

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Oh for sure, he's a great storyteller and he can talk all day, his podcast is a lot of fun when he's got a good guest on . He's a cool guy all around and he'll probably be high as a kite too so it's gonna be twice as funny :laugh:
Oh, for sure. I've seen him the last two times he's been in Montreal (once for a Q&A, once for an episode of SModcast) and they were both very fun times.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Still can't believe Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen went before Jackson in the draft.

I found it ridiculous at the time and it's even more ridiculous today.

Trubisky went before Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. It happens. Lamar coming into the draft couldn't throw the football. He flat out, could not throw an NFL football. He's worked very hard at it and has coupled it with his dynamic running and high end vision of the field.

But really, if you're drafting a QB and you see this kid at the combine that can't throw a f***ing football; you going to use the 1st overall on him? Probably not. However, the Ravens picked him late in the first round and developed him well. Kudos to them, but it took jam to do it.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Trubisky went before Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes. It happens. Lamar coming into the draft couldn't throw the football. He flat out, could not throw an NFL football. He's worked very hard at it and has coupled it with his dynamic running and high end vision of the field.

But really, if you're drafting a QB and you see this kid at the combine that can't throw a ****ing football; you going to use the 1st overall on him? Probably not. However, the Ravens picked him late in the first round and developed him well. Kudos to them, but it took jam to do it.

Critical thing is that the Ravens are a good organization who understand what it takes to build up a young QB. Jackson's athleticism and work ethic gives any team a great asset, and you need to protect that asset with a great O-line (which the Ravens have) to allow him to develop properly. No coincidence Mayfield and Darnold are completely up and down week to week, they have ability but don't have a reliable line or defense.

Josh Allen on the other hand, that was a pick I never would have made.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Buffalo traded a bunch of picks in order to move up and pick him too. They went all in on a guy with one year as a full time starter at Wyoming and pretty much nothing else of note . He wasn't even a top guy at the highschool level. That's just nuts.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Buffalo traded a bunch of picks in order to move up and pick him too. They went all in on a guy with one year as a full time starter at Wyoming and pretty much nothing else of note . He wasn't even a top guy at the highschool level. That's just nuts.

Guess they felt they were going to get the next Cam Newton or something. :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

But really, if you're drafting a QB and you see this kid at the combine that can't throw a ****ing football; you going to use the 1st overall on him? Probably not. However, the Ravens picked him late in the first round and developed him well. Kudos to them, but it took jam to do it.
It's not true that he couldn't throw a football

Also Trubisky going before Watson and Mahomes just reinforces what I was hinting at earlier.

The position of QB is a prestigious one...NFL teams tend to want, ummm

A certain type of player at that position

*Runs and hides away*

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's not true that he couldn't throw a football

Also Trubisky going before Watson and Mahomes just reinforces what I was hinting at earlier.

The position of QB is a prestigious one...NFL teams tend to want, ummm

A certain type of player at that position

*Runs and hides away*

He 100% had issues throwing an NFL football. He still struggles to throw tight spirals. He has a lot of arm strength but he's far from developed throwing the ball. Which is kind of scary to think about. I sort of feel like he's going to develop into a pocket passer for preservation, but he has a long way to go.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Critical thing is that the Ravens are a good organization who understand what it takes to build up a young QB. Jackson's athleticism and work ethic gives any team a great asset, and you need to protect that asset with a great O-line (which the Ravens have) to allow him to develop properly. No coincidence Mayfield and Darnold are completely up and down week to week, they have ability but don't have a reliable line or defense.

Same with KC. Although their Oline has been injured and in shambles. They spent a lot of draft capital on Mahomes when they were a winning club with Alex Smith. They let him mentor him for a year and learn the pro game before turning the reigns over to him. And quite honestly, if Mahomes wasn't so impressive in the game 16 against the Bronco's that first year (after the division was wrapped up), they might have made him wait another year. Oh, and Andy Reid is a fantastic coach who can scheme up a game to protect a QB.

I guess, I just don't get throwing these guys into the fire right away either. You're drafting #1 overall for a reason, your team is shit and has a lot of holes. Don't throw your best asset directly into the fire.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He 100% had issues throwing an NFL football. He still struggles to throw tight spirals. He has a lot of arm strength but he's far from developed throwing the ball. Which is kind of scary to think about. I sort of feel like he's going to develop into a pocket passer for preservation, but he has a long way to go.
greatly exagerrated

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
greatly exagerrated

Agree to disagree.

Sure, maybe race had something to do with it and the perception that black QB's are just runners. I am not denying systemic racism in the NFL, it's pretty damn blatant. Just in this case I believe coming out of college he had real issues throwing the ball out of the pocket.

Reactions: 417

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Mitch Trubisky is a great example of why you should never trust one year college starters. I can only think of one current QB who actually worked out in the NFL, Newton, and I'd argue he's been forever plagued by season-to-season inconsistency (and now, injury). Only a dumb organization, maybe one with a little certain streak, would have taken Trubisky over Watson and Chicago stepped up.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Excellent match-up coming up at 1 pm. Super Bowl preview with the Baltimore Ravens (9-2) hosting the San Francisco 49ers. (10-1). Will Lamar Jackson be stopped?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Of all the channels I have airing football only RDS has that game... what the hell :laugh:
There are streaming options out there if you can do the computer to TV thing. I just about never have the game I really want to watch on TV on sunday afternoons so I generally just find a stream. There's only so many Buffalo/NY/Pats games I can watch , which is all my Fox affiliate ever shows :laugh:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
There are streaming options out there if you can do the computer to TV thing. I just about never have the game I really want to watch on TV on sunday afternoons so I generally just find a stream. There's only so many Buffalo/NY/Pats games I can watch , which is all my Fox affiliate ever shows :laugh:

I would go with the stream option but meh too lazy to set it up lol Guess I’ll watch RDS.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Man, Lamar always takes so much punishment , I do hope he's gonna hold on physically for the long run. I don't want him to turn into an RG3 situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad