OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
MJ couldve went for 8 if he didnt baseball 2 years for his dead father.

And MJ never got into a massive corruption scandal

giphy.gif

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Every account I've heard about MJ is that he was a massive dick head. Didn't matter who you were.
Ultra competitive sure.

Either way, my point was that we have a good environment for the kids to develop. Good role models all around. Just cause Jordan may have been a dick doesn't mean you need guys like that to win. I'd rather have a quiet leader like Kawhi than LeBron any day

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Lol you didnt watch mj

MJ's only flaw was rebounds, but he still made all-star defensive team 9 times and hold records over records. Won MVP and defensive player of the year in the same season, which is extremely rare.

To say Brady is better is just ignorance of what MJ was.
I disagree. Theirs a very good case for Brady. This is coming for someone who roots against the Pats every game.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Jordan is far, far away from being egotistical or a headcase. All his teammates loved him

His teammates loved him but he treated many of the second tier players like garbage. He wasn't worried about their feelings.

He must have respected Kerr though because this took big balls:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I disagree. Theirs a very good case for Brady. This is coming for someone who roots against the Pats every game.

Nope.

MJ
6 championships
6 Finals MVP
5 season MVP
10 scoring titles
3 steal titles
1 Defensive player of the year
9 times allstar defensive team
14 all stars
Best season record
2 olympic golds (one without the DT)
Holds most scoring records for the NBA finals

Brady
6 championships
4 SB MVP
3 season MVP
3 passing yards leader
4 passing TD leader
14 Pro Bowl

Jordan never loss a final, played 14 seasons to Brady's 18.

Just the fact Brady went to 9 finals and got 4 mvps should exclude him

The nature of both sports is highly different, but Jordan's sheer dominance, MVP in every championship, never losing a final, being dominant both offensively and defensively, sets him apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgy and dinodebino

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Nope.

MJ
6 championships
6 Finals MVP
5 season MVP
10 scoring titles
3 steal titles
1 Defensive player of the year
9 times allstar defensive team
14 all stars
Best season record
2 olympic golds (one without the DT)
Holds most scoring records for the NBA finals

Brady
6 championships
4 SB MVP
3 season MVP
3 passing yards leader
4 passing TD leader
14 Pro Bowl

Jordan never loss a final, played 14 seasons to Brady's 18.

Just the fact Brady went to 9 finals and got 4 mvps should exclude him

The nature of both sports is highly different, but Jordan's sheer dominance, MVP in every championship, never losing a final, being dominant both offensively and defensively, sets him apart.
Hard to compare different sports. You've conveniently omitted many of Brady's achievements here.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
In terms of team accomplishments MJ has nothing on Brady IMO. Simply because consistently winning in the NFL is much much more difficult than the NBA (no parity league).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hard to compare different sports. You've conveniently omitted many of Brady's achievements here.

I've ommited many of Jordan's too, not conveniently, but for the sake of brevity. Jordan has the upperhand in major accomplishments and while Brady holds 50+ record in a position where he competes with around 60+ players of his position, Jordan has 200+ records, dominates pretty much all records in the NBA finals and that's againt ALL players in the NBA, not relative to a single position with a limited number of players. Also, 10 scoring titles against all NBA players, 3 steal titles in 14 seasons, while Brady has 4 TD titles, 3 passing titles in 17 seasons.

Brady took 17 years to get his 6th championship while Jordan did it in his 12th season. Jordan 6 finals mvp vs Brady's 4 super bowl mvp, Jordan's 5 season MVP in 14 seasons vs Brady's 3 season MVP in 17 seasons.

It's hard comparing sports, sure, but like I said, Jordan's sheer dominance is unmatched, all team sports confonded.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Let's compare each player to their peers.

Brady has 6 rings. How many other QBs have more than four? The answer is none. How many other QBs have more than 2? The answer is three.

Now, let's take a look at the NBA....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 2.18.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 2.18.33 PM.png
    303.2 KB · Views: 3

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Let's compare each player to their peers.

Brady has 6 rings. How many other QBs have more than four? The answer is none. How many other QBs have more than 2? The answer is three.

Now, let's take a look at the NBA....

Wait, we're arguing which team was better or which player had the biggest impact?

Lol... Why not look at championship MVPs then?

Jordan has 6, all the others have 3 or less (Magic, Bird, Lebron, Bryant, ect).

Brady 4 vs Montana 3, others at 2.

But yeah, let's consider the era where Bill Russell had a foot in height over almost every player.

Jordan, highest career average, highest season average, highest Finals average (single & career), compared to ALL the greats in the NBA.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Wait, we're arguing which team was better or which player had the biggest impact?

Lol... Why not look at championship MVPs then?

Jordan has 6, all the others have 3 or less (Magic, Bird, Lebron, Bryant, ect).

Brady 4 vs Montana 3, others at 2.

But yeah, let's consider the era where Bill Russell had a foot in height over almost every player.

Jordan, highest career average, highest season average, highest Finals average (single & career), compared to ALL the greats in the NBA.

You simply can't do that when comparing the NBA (best of seven) and a single elimination SB game in the NFL. The latter is a lot more opportunity/luck-driven.

P.S. As a side note, anyone remember SB XXXVI? Just throwing it out there. Most, of course, are going to bring up 2003/2004 Brady in the SBs, but 2001 was what I will always remember myself. Game management against "The Greatest Show on Turf".

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You simply can't do that when comparing the NBA (best of seven) and a single elimination SB game in the NFL. The latter is a lot more opportunity/luck-driven.

P.S. As a side note, anyone remember SB XXXVI? Just throwing it out there. Most, of course, are going to bring up 2003/2004 Brady in the SBs, but 2001 was what I will always remember myself. Game management against "The Greatest Show on Turf".

So lemme get this straight, you can compare championships as a whole, even though it's team based, but I can't compare championship MVPs?

Thanks kiwi, i needed the laugh.

Btw, if the latter is more about opportunity and luck, wouldn't that make the former about consistency and clutchness?

Also, most sports magazine/editorials agree with me.

All stats and trophies aside, go listen to players who have played against Jordan. Even Magic said "there's Jordan and then there's everybody else"

Players around the league, even the best of them, had an underground sobriquet for him, across the league he was known as Black Jesus lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
MJ was the best ATHLETE in the world. MJ was the biggest super-uber star on the planet, all sports included. He was THE man in a very international sport.

Tom Brady is the best QB in the history of pro football. But it's a very regional sport. Basketball is played on all continents. You could compare Brady to any rugby legend, as an example, and even there: rugby is much more international.

MJ transformed mass marketing (Nike anyone?), transformed pro sports. He was alone. Not even close. Tom Brady is a role model, a superb athlete. But not a specimen. MJ was a specimen. A freak.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
So lemme get this straight, you can compare championships as a whole, even though it's team based, but I can't compare championship MVPs?

8-10 versus 53.

Btw, if the latter is more about opportunity and luck, wouldn't that make the former about consistency and clutchness?
Obviously, that was my entire point.

Also, most sports magazine/editorials agree with me.
I'm going to re-read my SI issue that touted the Browns to be the hands-down favourite to win the AFC North.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
8-10 versus 53.

Obviously, that was my entire point.

How many games have you actually watched Jordan play?

Each and everytime the Bulls won, it was squarely on MJ's shoulders, no matter if it's 7 games or 1 game.

Tell me, how good was Brady in his last SB, fumbling the ball, getting intercepted? They won because of a great defense, not Brady. And therein lies the difference. Everytime the Bulls won, Jordan was the best player on the court and by quite a margin.

91 finals, Jordan 31.2 pts/g, Pippen 20.8, Worthy 19.3, Magic 18.6, Divac 18.2

Bulls won in 5, finished +49 PF/PA, Jordan had 63 more points than Magic, point leader for the Lakers. 52 more than teamate Pippen. Jordan had 156 of the 965 points scored in the entire series. MVP was unequivocally Jordan.

92, MJ 35.8, Drexler 24.8, Pippen 20.8, Porter 16.2, Kersey 14.8

Bulls won in 6, +44 PF/PA, MJ had 64 more points than Drexler, 90 more than Pippen. 215 of 1201 pts scored in the Finals were Jordan's. Again unequivocal MVP.

93, MJ 41.0, Barkley 27.3, Pippen 21.2, Majerle 17.2, Johnson 17.2

Bulls won in 6, finished even in PF/PA. MJ had 82 more pts than Barkley, 119 more than Pippen. MJ had 246 of the total 1280 points scored, out of 23 players on both rosters. Almost 1/5 of total points. 246 of the Bulls's 640 pts, 38% of his team's total points. It is widely regarded as the single biggest Finals performance in NBA history. MVP who else?

(On a side note, I was really spoiled that year, Habs winning, Bulls & Cowboys too, all 3 teams I was following at the time, and the Spos were looking pretty good too)

96, MJ 27.3, Kemp 23.3, Payton 18.0, Schremp 16.3, Pippen 15.7

Bulls won in 6, +23 PF/PA. MJ had only 24 points more than Kemp, but 70 more than Pippen. His lowest totals of all 6 championships. Incidently, MJ rounded his defensive game that season and so did Pippen, and both we're more dominant two-way players than in the past, which came in handy as they faced their toughest opposition so far in the finals. It was also the best defensive team they had faced in the finals in four championships.

97, MJ 32.3, Malone 23.8, Pippen 20.0, Stockton 15.0, Hornacek 12.0

Won in 6, +4 PF/PA. MJ had 51 more points than Malone, 74 more than Pippen. Despite concentrating more on defense than in the days of the first threepeat, MJ distanced himself once again offensively from all other players on the court.

98, MJ 33.5, Malone 25.0, Pippen 15.7, Kukoc 15.2, Hornacek 10.7

Won in 6, +47 PF/PA. MJ had 51 more pts than Malone, 107 more than Pippen. He scored 201 of Chicago's 528 points, 38% of his team's total points, coming close to his dominance of 93.

In 6 Championships, only one player came close to reaching Jordan and it was Shawn Kemp in 96, when Jordan decided to round his game.

Out of those 6 championships, they never went to a 7th game, so whether it's a one game win like the super bowl, or a best of seven, not having to go to a 7th even once out of 6 Finals is a testament of how dominant they were, while Jordan dominated his own team by a wide margin.

Jordan was quoted (96) as saying that he wanted one more ring than Magic and stopped playing after he did. If Magic had 9 rings, MJ would've gotten 10. He literally willed his way to those championships. The fiercest competitor I've ever seen in my life, bar none. That's why it's just ridiculous to try to put another team sport athlete on the same level without the same dominance year after year. He completely dominated the competition, from one end of the court to the other.

MJ's consistency, clutchness and dominance is unmatched to this day. The most complete player of any team sport. He could do literally anything on the court. Post-up, mid-range, 3 points, assists, steals and blocks, double teamed or not.

I'm going to re-read my SI issue that touted the Browns to be the hands-down favourite to win the AFC North.

Sounds like you're short on arguments.

On the one hand you think you're making an argument comparing peers and their team championships, but oh noes, let's not do the same for those teams's most valuable players, because 1 vs 7, yet it's the same whether we're talking about the championship or the MVP.

I get it though, whatever I say won't be valid because.. lame excuses. It's almost like you're trying to cheat the play with a deflated ball.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How could we have missed this?

We certainly had seen it before ...

giphy.gif

Reactions: sandviper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad