OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Same. You know these butterflies you get sometimes when you think back about something from your childhood? I get that thinking about the Astros and I'm not sure why. The uniform maybe? That star with orange stripes. I hated Pittsburgh, Philly and Atlanta as a Expos fan, but Houston were my second team I guess.

Nolan Ryan was solid, Jose Cruz was almost a five tool player (nobody had good power there). Dickie Thon at short was a gamer and then got hit in the throat or head and was never the same.

I hated the entire NL East including the Cubs.

Mike Schmidt was my least favourite player. Just killed the Expos.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Same. You know these butterflies you get sometimes when you think back about something from your childhood? I get that thinking about the Astros and I'm not sure why. The uniform maybe? That star with orange stripes. I hated Pittsburgh, Philly and Atlanta as a Expos fan, but Houston were my second team I guess.
The Braves are the ones I truly hated back then, I could live with the Phillies and the Pirates but those damn Braves man, every freaking year :laugh:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Braves are the ones I truly hated back then, I could live with the Phillies and the Pirates but those damn Braves man, every freaking year :laugh:

At the end with their 2 meters long strike zone it was unwatchable. I remember a pitch called strike against the expos was so far off the plate i don't think a 6 feet 6 player could have been able to touch the ball with his arms fully extended and the longest possible bat.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I've been a casual Nats fan since the departure of the expos. I was so happy when Harper signed with Philly because I knew both Rendon and Soto were better players. Suck it Philly.

Reactions: Justin11

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
At the end with their 2 meters long strike zone it was unwatchable. I remember a pitch called strike against the expos was so far off the plate i don't think a 6 feet 6 player could have been able to touch the ball with his arms fully extended and the longest possible bat.
Didn't help that Maddox and Glavine were both really good at hitting those sweet spots where the hitters couldn't do anything about it. Steve Avery, John Smoltz a bit later, they sure had a lot of damn pitchers.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Early 80s it was Schmidt and Dane Iorg, remarkably, who killed us.

Bob Horner of the Braves once launched 4 dingers against the Expos in a losing effort.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Those unis, like many of the era, needed a proper belt. The waistband is what kills them.

Also numbers on pants is pretty fastpitch.

That jersey with at least a 3 or 4 button placket at the neck would perfect. I think somebody called them "Tequila Sunrises".

It sort of reminds me of the Canucks flying V jersey.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Chiefs vs Packers but no Mahomes for KC. Bummer.

Sad times as a Chiefs fan. I think he'll be out another 2 weeks and they have Vikings and Titans next 2 weeks. That's a tall order considering how bad they play the run. Could be 5-5 when Mahomes comes back.

This is a 10-6 team because of the injury. Lucky for them, that should still win the division.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Early 80s it was Schmidt and Dane Iorg, remarkably, who killed us.

Bob Horner of the Braves once launched 4 dingers against the Expos in a losing effort.
I remember back in the day the Braves had nobody but then in the middle of their lineup they'd have Dale Murphy and Horner. It was like trying to avoid the Boardwalk/Park Place of their lineup.

Reactions: Tighthead

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boom! Just like that, the gNats are facing elimination.

Yeah, they're like the Expos all right. They're sure headed toward a similar outcome.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Welp, I'm sure glad my Packers were lucky enough to face the Mahomes-less version of the Chiefs, cause that was way too close for my nerves to take :laugh: .

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Top of the 7th now. Go Expozzzz... I mean Nationals.

I dunno, I always hated the Astros, even as an Expos fan back in the day. Not sure why.

Reactions: ArsHabs

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Interesting factoid - supposedly the road team has never won the first six games of any post-season series in the NHL, NBA or MLB.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Been a great World Series so far. Totally unpredictable. Can't wait for Game 7 tonight. Hoping for Nationals.
It's been almost weird honestly, a lot of peaks and valleys, teams looking great one game and terrible the next. I legit can't predict how game 7 is gonna turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad