OT: The Other Sports Thread IX - Go Astros go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
How did you come to hate the Cowboys so much? Is it cause of their owner?
Jerry Jones and everything he represents politically. Plus the whole ''this is america's team'' thing that was already getting on my nerves in the nineties and only got worst over time. Their coach has a stupid face, put that in there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Jerry Jones and everything he represents politically. Plus the whole ''this is america's team'' thing that was already getting on my nerves in the nineties and only got worst over time. Their coach has a stupid face, put that in there as well.

America's Team was coined by NFL Films.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
When Ripken has 5 rings and becomes the all-time playoff hit king ...let me know.
When rings become an individual accomplishment and not a team accomplishment, let me know. No idea why you are making it a pissing contest between Jeter and Altuve but Jeter's time is done. It's now the Altuve era, time to live in the present.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don't dislike the Nats due to the Expos situation, but I have nostalgia for the Astros as an old NL fan.

Great 80s unis, a big ballpark that didn't welcome the long ball. Also home to Terry Puhl who was likely the best Canadian ballplayer between Fergie Jenkins and Larry Walker.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
TBH I don't even think of the Expos when I watch the Nats, it's a completely different entity to me. I almost have to remind myself that it's where the franchise ended up .

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Lets go Expos!

I mean Nationals!

Make us proud, boys! It would be cool if they donned Expos blue for one game

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Raptors went all out for their fans opening night. Everyone in attendance gets a free shirt and a replica championship ring. Pretty cool stuff.

Dunno if their hot dogs are better than those at the Bell Centre though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArsHabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Also home to Terry Puhl who was likely the best Canadian ballplayer between Fergie Jenkins and Larry Walker.

A dubious (and probably lame) attempt at a joke in those years was how Terry Puhl's name appeared on the heavy front doors of most storefronts and businesses in Montreal. Except they mispelled it as "Tirez/Pull".

I'll see myself out.

So sorry for bringing that up. I'm reminded of that every time I see his name. Couldn't help it.

OK, rushing out now. :laugh:

Reactions: Tighthead

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
A dubious (and probably lame) attempt at a joke in those years was how Terry Puhl's name appeared on the heavy front doors of most storefronts and businesses in Montreal. Except they mispelled it as "Tirez/Pull".

I'll see myself out.

So sorry for bringing that up. I'm reminded of that every time I see his name. Couldn't help it.

OK, rushing out now. :laugh:
That's like the french Pas de Colporteurs. No Cole Porter.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Did it get worse over time? The NFL lost me since the 2000s but I would think it would be more annoying in the 90s when the cowboys could actually backup their machine with their play.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Did it get worse over time? The NFL lost me since the 2000s but I would think it would be more annoying in the 90s when the cowboys could actually backup their machine with their play.
I think it did, I certainly kept hearing about it often enough every time they were on TV.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I don't dislike the Nats due to the Expos situation, but I have nostalgia for the Astros as an old NL fan.

Great 80s unis, a big ballpark that didn't welcome the long ball. Also home to Terry Puhl who was likely the best Canadian ballplayer between Fergie Jenkins and Larry Walker.

Same. You know these butterflies you get sometimes when you think back about something from your childhood? I get that thinking about the Astros and I'm not sure why. The uniform maybe? That star with orange stripes. I hated Pittsburgh, Philly and Atlanta as a Expos fan, but Houston were my second team I guess.

Reactions: Tighthead

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Same. You know these butterflies you get sometimes when you think back about something from your childhood? I get that thinking about the Astros and I'm not sure why. The uniform maybe? That star with orange stripes. I hated Pittsburgh, Philly and Atlanta as a Expos fan, but Houston were my second team I guess.
I always liked watching Biggio and Bagwell play. I feel like they were Expos killers, but I didn't hate them then and don't now.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Ahhh, nostalgia :) Look at that glorious shirt!

Niekro3.jpg

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
When you are that good....you could even tell opponents how you'll play them before the game starts....lol

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Ahhh, nostalgia :) Look at that glorious shirt!

Niekro3.jpg

Those unis, like many of the era, needed a proper belt. The waistband is what kills them.

Also numbers on pants is pretty fastpitch.

That jersey with at least a 3 or 4 button placket at the neck would perfect. I think somebody called them "Tequila Sunrises".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad