OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hope you are well, EL.

Having a mental rest week, told my work I’ve been going though some shit. I had a member of my extended family go on the mends, she’s not gonna make it.

Mentally, I’m drained and tired.
Also sadden, I had a high school friend recently pass away due to her fight with lupus.

You are never prepared for it, even when the inevitable is gonna happen, you just feel numb.

What can you do, might as well talk it out.
Talk to someone about, seek some mental help.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
i will break you

i-must-break-you-fifidonia.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry the great

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I absolutely despise Amazon Prime Video

Who's idea was it that every season of a show should be it's own page, and why is everything out of order?

Also, why aren't we in a ski resort under the sea anymore??

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I absolutely despise Amazon Prime Video

Who's idea was it that every season of a show should be it's own page, and why is everything out of order?

Also, why aren't we in a ski resort under the sea anymore??
That died when the thread got locked because of something that was too political.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
@Chairman Maouth I remember when our family moved 22 years ago , our computer room (when people still had those) was a sundeck (again for the younger than me, it's an enclosed deck where smokers did their thing, so you're inside but you don't have insulation...) I spent many a morning one spring break looking up Letterman Top 10's. I loved that shit. In particular, I loved the bit spoofing Survivor where they did like Survivor: South Central LA or 8 Mile or shit like that. f***ing hilarious.

Anyways, I came here to ask for those in a similar situation: If you are the oldest of 3 boys, how do you differentiate when talking about brothers? Do you say "younger brother and older brother" or what? I feel like I'm confusing people and I'm not sure what the rules are.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
@Chairman Maouth I remember when our family moved 22 years ago , our computer room (when people still had those) was a sundeck (again for the younger than me, it's an enclosed deck where smokers did their thing, so you're inside but you don't have insulation...) I spent many a morning one spring break looking up Letterman Top 10's. I loved that shit. In particular, I loved the bit spoofing Survivor where they did like Survivor: South Central LA or 8 Mile or shit like that. f***ing hilarious.

Anyways, I came here to ask for those in a similar situation: If you are the oldest of 3 boys, how do you differentiate when talking about brothers? Do you say "younger brother and older brother" or what? I feel like I'm confusing people and I'm not sure what the rules are.
Sure I know what you're talking about with those rooms.

I'm not sure what you're asking me with the brothers thing but you may be overthinking it.

I took a look for a Letterman Survivor top 10 but couldn't find anything which I find a little surprising because I think they're both CBS.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

"My youngest bro" and " my oldest bro" work too I guess.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sure I know what you're talking about with those rooms.

I'm not sure what you're asking me with the brothers thing but you may be overthinking it.

I took a look for a Letterman Survivor top 10 but couldn't find anything which I find a little surprising because I think they're both CBS.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, probably got lost in the shuffle...maybe they didn't think the bit was as good as I did? Lol.

Man, my grandmother had the worst room for that when my GParents lived in Sechelt. Bought the f***ing house for $5,000 in the 80s on 99y lease from the indigenous, according to my dad, that was a bitch to sell and he lost money. But, their sun/smoking room had the computer and my grandmother collected toy dolls. Like the f***ing Anabel, holy shit this thing is gonna kill me in my sleep, dolls. She had I swear to you this room lined with them. You had to peek through the rows to look outside. There must have been 500. Creeped me the f*** out. I did not like that room, and I did not like their bedroom/bathroom.

Weird to think of a place you haven't been inside for 20 years. I do have a memory of going to Sechelt during the 2003 playoffs (little Rev was just getting into the Canucks), it was game 6 against St. Louis I believe and despite being down 3-1, after game 5 adults talked very optimistically. But absolutely no one in my family really followed hockey the way we do.

I got some other cool old-timer stories (keep in mind you are still young, I'm just younger). Like my dad was born in Creston, but their home was in Yahk and their phone number was two short, one long. My dad then had to explain party lines to me...basically you get one number for multiple different homes and every call goes to each phone, the way to differentiate is by hearing the ring. At least to my understanding.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone watch the quasi reality show "Jury duty?"

Pretty funny. Must have been a mind f*** for the poor guy though.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, probably got lost in the shuffle...maybe they didn't think the bit was as good as I did? Lol.

Man, my grandmother had the worst room for that when my GParents lived in Sechelt. Bought the f***ing house for $5,000 in the 80s on 99y lease from the indigenous, according to my dad, that was a bitch to sell and he lost money. But, their sun/smoking room had the computer and my grandmother collected toy dolls. Like the f***ing Anabel, holy shit this thing is gonna kill me in my sleep, dolls. She had I swear to you this room lined with them. You had to peek through the rows to look outside. There must have been 500. Creeped me the f*** out. I did not like that room, and I did not like their bedroom/bathroom.

Weird to think of a place you haven't been inside for 20 years. I do have a memory of going to Sechelt during the 2003 playoffs (little Rev was just getting into the Canucks), it was game 6 against St. Louis I believe and despite being down 3-1, after game 5 adults talked very optimistically. But absolutely no one in my family really followed hockey the way we do.

I got some other cool old-timer stories (keep in mind you are still young, I'm just younger). Like my dad was born in Creston, but their home was in Yahk and their phone number was two short, one long. My dad then had to explain party lines to me...basically you get one number for multiple different homes and every call goes to each phone, the way to differentiate is by hearing the ring. At least to my understanding.
Reading that first paragraph is like going on a bad acid trip.

I never participated in a party line but I remember my parents talking about them.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Lots of stuff;
Phone Books, huge books with phone numbers
In Vancouver you only needed to dial 5 numbers.
The prefix indicated where you lived and they had names like Fairfax and Trinity from the days of calling the operator to make a call.
The "party line" where sometimes as many as 4 families on one line, had to take turns and could listen in on others calls.
How about a phone booth? A phone line? Or 25 foot extension cords and phones with dials.
BC Tel never really advertised but phone in contests were always unfair because different areas had limited junctions so some areas had 20 an some had 5.
Sometimes when the phone rang you had to tell others it as your call.
The first "cell" phones advertised by weight and minutes of battery charge. "Only 4 pounds" :D Called "the brick"

The Canucks were a championship team playing out of the forum.

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
IMG_5561.jpeg

This is an awesome image that popped up today. From a Nanaimo newspaper c. 1960. My grandpa was 16 playing Sr A in the WLA for the Nanaimo Labatts. He played with a tough guy who looked out for him, John Ferguson Sr. who went from there to the NHL with Montreal and was one of the famous enforcers. My grandpa’s uncle was also on the team. They went on and won the Mann Cup that year, national championship for Sr A

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Lots of stuff;
Phone Books, huge books with phone numbers
In Vancouver you only needed to dial 5 numbers.
The prefix indicated where you lived and they had names like Fairfax and Trinity from the days of calling the operator to make a call.
The "party line" where sometimes as many as 4 families on one line, had to take turns and could listen in on others calls.
How about a phone booth? A phone line? Or 25 foot extension cords and phones with dials.
BC Tel never really advertised but phone in contests were always unfair because different areas had limited junctions so some areas had 20 an some had 5.
Sometimes when the phone rang you had to tell others it as your call.
The first "cell" phones advertised by weight and minutes of battery charge. "Only 4 pounds" :D Called "the brick"

The Canucks were a championship team playing out of the forum.

You bring up an interesting topic, because my dad works for Telus and started as a power engineer and it was known as “BCTel”. Yknow, when you are young, how you want to work as a hero so you go firefighter or cop. I just wanted to be my dad. He worked on Willingdon and we called it “the drum”.

One time they were filming for the X Files and they demanded my dad move his truck but he was already working so he told them to shove it I guess lol. f*** if I can recall what it looks like. Another good one is when he went searching for that golden skull thing up near Nicola Valley or something, he claims he was off by one river, the next one over had it. He came back with poison oak rashes all over his legs.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
I'm in Portland for the weekend and would enjoy watching the game if possible. I never go to the states and I'm kind of interested in the over the top American sports and beer culture. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm mostly based on the east side but I can Uber anywhere. Food would be a plus.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'm in Portland for the weekend and would enjoy watching the game if possible. I never go to the states and I'm kind of interested in the over the top American sports and beer culture. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm mostly based on the east side but I can Uber anywhere. Food would be a plus.
Laptop? Or phone I guess.
Stream it.
If you have Telus it's a free download Rogers Sportsnet+
Sign in through TV provider
Or
the other way, but there could be a fee, I don't know I use Telus as my TV provider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad