OT: The OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I've been reading some /r/badeconomics and its really helped me understand it a little bit. I'm getting the f*** out, even if I lose some cash.

Putting all that in Apple instead. Posted some great Q1 numbers and their stock is undervalued IMO.

Once I get some real money I'm basically only putting it into index funds though.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The other side of this, which I feel is a more valuable conversation that I think a lot of folks in the media and whatnot don't really understand, is that if you're in the US working hand-to-mouth, have no affordable access to healthcare, have dwindling worker protection laws, and live under the ever-present shadow of wall street gambling the economy into oblivion again like 2008, why the f*** not throw your last $1000 into GME? You're one bad diagnosis/shitty employer/whatever away from losing it all anyway, so what's the difference, especially when this probably presents the best realistic opportunity to amass life-changing wealth?

Everyone is so easily willing to sneer at these folks for making irresponsible decisions, and certainly somewhat rightfully so, but for many folks the alternative is to keep working ever-harder just to maintain their ever-more-precarious position, losing a little bit every day to inflation, while constantly at risk of losing everything to factors outside their control.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
The other side of this, which I feel is a more valuable conversation that I think a lot of folks in the media and whatnot don't really understand, is that if you're in the US working hand-to-mouth, have no affordable access to healthcare, have dwindling worker protection laws, and live under the ever-present shadow of wall street gambling the economy into oblivion again like 2008, why the f*** not throw your last $1000 into GME? You're one bad diagnosis/shitty employer/whatever away from losing it all anyway, so what's the difference, especially when this probably presents the best realistic opportunity to amass life-changing wealth?
Because it is probably the big fish getting rich off the squeeze anyway.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Because it is probably the big fish getting rich off the squeeze anyway.

Sure, but in the meantime a whole lot of little guys (ie. everyone who bought before the 27th or so) have been given the opportunity to make anywhere between a lot and a whole f***ing lot of money, should they be smart enough to not get too greedy.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Sure, but in the meantime a whole lot of little guys (ie. everyone who bought before the 27th or so) have been given the opportunity to make anywhere between a lot and a whole f***ing lot of money, should they be smart enough to not get too greedy.
God I hope people will make money. My biggest fear its those people who need the money the most that are going to lose it.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
God I hope people will make money. My biggest fear its those people who need the money the most that are going to lose it.

It'll be a bit of each, but like if someone bought yesterday with no plan for when they're jumping out, and with money they can't afford to lose, that person would have eventually almost certainly found a different way to lose that money anyway, and at least with this there's a shot at winning.

This has certainly already made a lot of little guys a lot of money.

Part of the reason I'm okay with not buying in at ~20 like I'd wanted to is because I know that at like $50, I'd have looked at some middling gain and been like "holy shit that's so many burritos!" and sold.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Alot of average joes are/will make near life changing of money instead of the usual hedge funds making even more money.

Alot of average joes will lose an insignificant amount of money, while some of the already disgustingly rich lose a significant amount of money. Because they're greedy and they deserve it.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Alot of average joes are/will make near life changing of money instead of the usual hedge funds making even more money.

Alot of average joes will lose an insignificant amount of money, while some of the already disgustingly rich lose a significant amount of money. Because they're greedy and they deserve it.

The sad part of this is also that a lot of the disgustingly rich will just be losing other peoples' money.

Reactions: Pip and MS

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The sad part of this is also that a lot of the disgustingly rich will just be losing other peoples' money.
Yeah mostly, but alot of rich people are losing alot of money too.
And overall its a win when mostly rich people lose large amounts to mostly regular folks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What app you guys use for hockey? I always had tsn but it has officially shit the bed for me

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Scoreboard dotcom
Flashscore dotcom

Are both reliable and constantly updated. Not just NHL, but every conceivable major sport is covered by them.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
twitter and hf are the only two places you need to get hockey info.

also if you have the right friend circles discord can be very useful.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Whatever you may think of team subs, r/hockey is probably the best source of any NHL news with a social or team-related bent. Any off-ice news will be analyzed pretty thoroughly there with screencaps, tweets, etc and often in depth with a lot of great posts.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Looking at GME right now and the stock price is just dipping lower and lower. Looks like the short squeeze isn't happening.

I got out this morning at 310 its at 245 as I post this.

f*** man, I just knew that this was going to end up badly. I feel so bad for people who jumped on this train putting huge amounts of their savings in hoping it was a cash cow.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Looking at GME right now and the stock price is just dipping lower and lower. Looks like the short squeeze isn't happening.

I got out this morning at 310 its at 245 as I post this.

f*** man, I just knew that this was going to end up badly. I feel so bad for people who jumped on this train putting huge amounts of their savings in hoping it was a cash cow.

You only lose if you sell homie, I thought this dip was expected anyway.
But I don’t know anything so...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
You only lose if you sell homie, I thought this dip was expected anyway.
But I don’t know anything so...
GME is going back to 15 bucks eventually. If you bought at 250+ and you hold that stock is never going back up to 250 so you end up losing cash. Today and Friday were supposed to be the short squeeze days (the stock price was supposed to soar) but it ended up being another dip. Right now this is just a bubble rather than a wait for a short squeeze and a lot of people who hold are going to be left holding the bag when it's all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad