OT: The OT Social Bubble Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I mean any money put into this the person should be fine with potentially losing all of it. It’ll be interesting to follow this week.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
GME - GameStop Corp Shareholders - CNNMoney.com

Retail investors own only a combined 15.9% stake in Gamestop. Mutual funds own 53.32% and the rest is owned by other institutions.
The biggest winners in this whole ordeal will be Blackrock/Fidelity. Blackrock is already selling off their shares, -20.35% of their shares sold. That's what's driving the price down probably.

This whole idea that its retail investors that are doing this squeeze seems like a great big myth. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not going to claim that I'm a financial expert (I'm not) and I'd love to hear from someone who is actually an expert in these things.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
GME - GameStop Corp Shareholders - CNNMoney.com

Retail investors own only a combined 15.9% stake in Gamestop. Mutual funds own 53.32% and the rest is owned by other institutions.
The biggest winners in this whole ordeal will be Blackrock/Fidelity. Blackrock is already selling off their shares, -20.35% of their shares sold. That's what's driving the price down probably.

This whole idea that its retail investors that are doing this squeeze seems like a great big myth. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not going to claim that I'm a financial expert (I'm not) and I'd love to hear from someone who is actually an expert in these things.

you are correct retail investors will never own the majority of the stock. Here is why GME could be different (however won’t be because the majority of retail investors are like yourself which is not a bad thing)

GME was shorted 140% of its float. So there are short calls on 40% shares more than available. So in theory if retail held 16% that’s 56% short calls that can’t be filled.

now depending when the calls are due this could present a big problem for the “shorts” if they need to fill the contracts.

I mean they could fill some and those people sell and you complete the lop that way but that should send the price higher.

So the theory is correct however the majority of retail investors as don’t have the balls and big money always wins. It’s a nice story but it won’t end well.

the thing to remember when doing shit like this is there is a difference playing against someone using the rules and playing against someone who can make the rules.

big money has too much power and influence to let the little retail guy win.

Reactions: timw33 and WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
you are correct retail investors will never own the majority of the stock. Here is why GME could be different (however won’t be because the majority of retail investors are like yourself which is not a bad thing)

GME was shorted 140% of its float. So there are short calls on 40% shares more than available. So in theory if retail held 16% that’s 56% short calls that can’t be filled.

now depending when the calls are due this could present a big problem for the “shorts” if they need to fill the contracts.

I mean they could fill some and those people sell and you complete the lop that way but that should send the price higher.

So the theory is correct however the majority of retail investors as don’t have the balls and big money always wins. It’s a nice story but it won’t end well.

the thing to remember when doing shit like this is there is a difference playing against someone using the rules and playing against someone who can make the rules.

big money has too much power and influence to let the little retail guy win.
What if GME issues common stock though that will cover some of the float? They have financial issues right now and that money they would generate could help them recover.

Reactions: timw33

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
It’s weird major new outlets in US and Canada trying to convince people that redditers are making a play for silver now. There isn’t one thread on that site say move to silver and yet a bunch of news outlets are reporting that. Guess who owns the majority of silver....

So either these news outlets aren’t doing their research or due diligence and copy and pasty articles from other news sources or they’re being paid to run these fake storeys.
Very strange though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
It’s weird major new outlets in US and Canada trying to convince people that redditers are making a play for silver now. There isn’t one thread on that site say move to silver and yet a bunch of news outlets are reporting that. Guess who owns the majority of silver....

So either these news outlets aren’t doing their research or due diligence and copy and pasty articles from other news sources or they’re being paid to run these fake storeys.
Very strange though.
You are right, I can't find anything online that it's retailers that are driving SLV up. Just unsourced articles.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hard to know if these news outlets are knowingly pushing these lies or are just stupid enough to believe it.

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Hard to know if these news outlets are knowingly pushing these lies or are just stupid enough to believe it.
I think most of them are just trying to push out a story because others are reporting on it and not actually doing any research. If you are going to make a claim that it's retailers driving the price of SLV you should actually find out how many retailers are buying SLV. It's pretty irresponsible for CNN and Bloomberg to not include any source to the claims.

I think a lot of people are jumping on Reddit for the first time and seeing a few comments and jumping on the story thinking that it's the consensus on Wallstreetbets that people should invest SLV.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Very strange though.

This combined with capitalism. They need to sell their stories and right now 'redditors attack Wall Street' is the hot ticket item. As it's just a vague unspecified group there is no legal entity here that can hit them back for defamation, so they don't need to worry about typical due diligence can be eased up and they can stick to the theme that's selling.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
What if GME issues common stock though that will cover some of the float? They have financial issues right now and that money they would generate could help them recover.

They could do that however no news of that. Also their balance sheets aren’t terrible.

either was it’s a roller coast and anyone invest was trying to the lottery.

in theory it works but in practice tough beat the guys with all the money.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
You are right, I can't find anything online that it's retailers that are driving SLV up. Just unsourced articles.

There were a TON of burner accounts and bots trying claim that silver was the next short squeeze over the weekend. Like absolutely heaps.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
hockeywas_a_mistake.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad