OT: The OT Non-Ski Resort - Eggnog Appreciation Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Heh, guess I'm not the only one who got Canucks tickets for Christmas.

I'm going to the game against the Lightning on New Years Day. Would have been amazing to watch Stamkos in person, but oh well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm not much of a jersey collector, but I picked up a Heritage Maroon jersey today after I saw it in person—it's just too damn nice.

Wetcoaster

Decided to go skiing at Whistler again without getting my hip back into place.

Smart, Taelin, smart.
When we are young we think we are bullet proof but as we get older, we learn differently.

I am now paying for my past hip injuries - hockey and skiing - as I am in my 60's. I also have problems with my knees and my left shoulder is damaged (several past shoulder and knee injuries).

Some mornings my hip is so stiff I literally have to roll out of bed and then pull myself to my feet. In the New Year I am supposed to be seeing a an orthopedic surgeon at the VGH Complex Joint Clinic.

I had a hernia operation a while back when the pain finally became too much to bear. According to my surgeon it looked to be an old sports injury (big surprise , eh?). After the surgery he told me he had a much bigger patch job and more complex surgery than he anticipated and that he was not sure how I was even walking around and functioning for the past few years. It was supposed to be day surgery but I was admitted for three days for observation after the unforeseen complexity of the procedure. All told it was almost one year for a complete recovery.

Back in the day it was play through the pain (with a little pharmaceutical help). :cry:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
When we are young we think we are bullet proof but as we get older, we learn differently.

I am now paying for my past hip injuries - hockey and skiing - as I am in my 60's. I also have problems with my knees and my left shoulder is damaged (several past shoulder and knee injuries).

Some mornings my hip is so stiff I literally have to roll out of bed and then pull myself to my feet. In the New Year I am supposed to be seeing a an orthopedic surgeon at the VGH Complex Joint Clinic.

I had a hernia operation a while back when the pain finally became too much to bear. According to my surgeon it looked to be an old sports injury (big surprise , eh?). After the surgery he told me he had a much bigger patch job and more complex surgery than he anticipated and that he was not sure how I was even walking around and functioning for the past few years. It was supposed to be day surgery but I was admitted for three days for observation after the unforeseen complexity of the procedure. All told it was almost one year for a complete recovery.

Back in the day it was play through the pain (with a little pharmaceutical help). :cry:

Despite being a sports fan, I'm not very athletic, so I guess I have that going for me (not being injured much). Skiing is the only sport I basically participate in.

Wetcoaster

Sitting back sipping The Macallan 12 Year Old Scotch, roasting marshmallows and enjoying a crackling fireplace...

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

I've already sustained injuries, can't imagine where I'll be later in my life.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Hey guys, Avs fan coming in peace.

So I picked up a blank Avs 3rd jersey in Vancouver today and now I'm thinking about getting a #6 Johnson or #9 Duchene customization on it. Can anybody recommend a place where to get that done? Please take into account that I'm only staying here for another couple of weeks before heading back to Germany. Is it possible to find a store which is that fast? How much would it cost (roughly)?

Thanks for your help!

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I'm 18 and I already have a bum back from one of my teammates in lacrosse who blindside-clobbered me into the boards as I was coming around the net and lost the ball during practice.

Swear to god if I see that ****er I'm gonna make him swallow some teeth.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Hey guys, Avs fan coming in peace.

So I picked up a blank Avs 3rd jersey in Vancouver today and now I'm thinking about getting a #6 Johnson or #9 Duchene customization on it. Can anybody recommend a place where to get that done? Please take into account that I'm only staying here for another couple of weeks before heading back to Germany. Is it possible to find a store which is that fast? How much would it cost (roughly)?

Thanks for your help!

Give Pacific Coast Cresting a call. They do great work with jersey customizations and their prices are reasonable.

http://pacificcoastcresting.com/

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Section 314. You?

I'm 18 and I already have a bum back from one of my teammates in lacrosse who blindside-clobbered me into the boards as I was coming around the net and lost the ball during practice.

Swear to god if I see that ****er I'm gonna make him swallow some teeth.

I have a crushed disc, a bulged dics and a bone spur all right in a row. I know your pain brother. Officially retired from heavy labour at 25

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I've only recently been able to start playing ice hockey for realsies (family couldn't afford it when I was a kid, and now I'm finally in a position to afford the gear/ice time/transport/etc), but man there are so many ways to injure yourself. In my first year alone I've suffered a sprained finger and bone bruises from shot blocking, and almost concussed myself in a collision from me not being a great skater. Still love it—wish I had started playing sooner though.

Wetcoaster

I have a crushed disc, a bulged dics and a bone spur all right in a row. I know your pain brother. Officially retired from heavy labour at 25
Another on my list of injuries. Back in Midget I was run into the boards from behind and was launched headfirst into the boards that knocked me out for few seconds and when I tried to get up I had lost most feeling in my legs. I was carried off the ice and taken to hospital for x-rays (no MRIs back in the day). The doctor diagnosed a bruised spinal cord that had swelled causing a temporary loss of sensation.

After few weeks I had the feeling back and all seemed fine until about 6 years ago. I was passenger in a friend's car when we were rear-ended and I got what I thought was minor whiplash and soft tissue injuries with a slightly stiff neck. About a week later I was out walking near Jericho Beach when I experienced a searing pain over my right shoulder blade and lost feeling down my right side. I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack.

After sitting in emergency in utter agony for over 12 hours a resident finally saw me and he immediately started everyone running about while he took a strip off the triage nurse - "WTF are you doing letting someone in their mid-fifties (as I then was) sit around with these symptoms while I stitch up minor wounds, etc." He had me fitted to a cardiac monitor, blood gas checks, etc and then had me sent for an MRI series.

Apparently I had suffered a non-displaced fracture on the interior of the C4 vertebrae in my neck (something that an x-ray of that era would not generally have shown) decades before (most likely from the hit from behind). Over time a calcium deposit/ bone spur had grown at the fracture site and was pressing on the nerves causing not only intense pain but also the loss of feeling.

If you have never had nerve pain let me tell you there is nothing like it. As the resident said to me after the morphine and steroid shots - "I bet at first you thought you were going to die and then with the pain you probably wished you were dead." Truer words were never spoken. I had the fracture site cleaned up via micro-surgery and gradually the nerve damage repaired itself over time. Since then no more problems with my neck... knock on wood.

Wetcoaster

Yea man. Take care of that back of yours. Its shocking how frustrating it really is when you have it happen. So take care of yours so it doesnt get that bad.

Wetcoaster, thats rough man :shakehead
When you get into your 60's the beating your body took when you were young and foolish... well let's just say the chickens come home to roost.

I think my high pain threshold back in the day worked against me.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
When you get into your 60's the beating your body took when you were young and foolish... well let's just say the chickens come home to roost.

I think my high pain threshold back in the day worked against me.

Yeah. I've gotta say the good thing about back then when I was playing lacrosse I was a coward who didn't have any confidence so I'd mostly just get ran over and slide a bit. Other than the back hit and one time I got cross checked in the neck and almost passed out I haven't had anything really bad.

That said I'm gonna be throwing myself back into the fray with some beer league lacrosse and hockey in the next spring and next hockey season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad