The optimist thread - the Koolaid is refreshing!

Slappy

May 29, 2007
You all forgot about Calle Johansson's improbable return to the NHL. He was all over the place in that game against Nashville!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Positives?

-Latta
-Brown
-Schmidt
-Orlov showing (frequent) flashes of Green-esque offensive ability
-Ward/Chimera
-Grabovski showing he's a viable 2C
-Kuznetsov showing he's capable of succeeding in the NHL
-the PP
-Wilson being the ****ing man (although his development being hindered by Oates being an idiot and anchoring him on the 4th line)
-Backstrom and Ovechkin being really good PP players
-Beagle proving he's finally arrived as a legitimate 1C

You know we essentially got Latta and Brown for Forsberg...

In the long run we can look back and judge this but I'm not hating this.

Latta and Brown are gritty effort players with some skill and attitude that are young and hungry.

I really like the influx of these two along with Wilson. It gives the team much needed edge that can be used with a non-bat**** crazy coach.

We really do need to move out stale players like MJ and Brouwer for these guys to fit.

Grabovski, Kuznetsov, Fehr, Chimera, Ward all play hungry just like Wilson, Latta and Brown. That can rub off on Ovechkin and Backstrom to get them back to where they were (and its not like either has sucked this year but they can be better)

EDIT: Fixed for you

Last edited by a moderator:

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Positive:

Tom Wilson's skating. He looks like a different guy out there in comparison to the earlier part of the season.

Here's to hoping the NEW coach recognizes his upside and gives him more than 6 minutes of ice time each night.

There is no reason for him not to score 12-15 goals next year.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
I don't get the love for Schmidt. How's he better than Dima? I see 3rd pair but with what's in Washington Schmidt is not a fit for any spot ATM.

I don't think Schmidt is better than Orlov. But he was solid and posted excellent possession numbers when he was up. He's a good skater and seemed to make good decisions with the puck.

The caps defense would have been a lot better if it was Alzner-Green, Orlov-Carlson, Schmidt-Oleksy all year. But...somehow it wasn't.

So I guess that's a positive. Put together the most obvious pairings on D next year and the team improves significantly!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovechkin reaching 50 has to be a positive! Was slightly worried there for a bit but it would have been horrible to be stuck at 49 by seasons end.

Backstrom looked very strong as well as did Holtby.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't think Schmidt is better than Orlov. But he was solid and posted excellent possession numbers when he was up. He's a good skater and seemed to make good decisions with the puck.

Schmidt is less experienced pro (even than Orlov) and his full potential is untapped yet. I think it's safe to say we don't know yet what Schmidt's limit looks like.

I think Schmidt should be kept if there will be some cleaning above him (Erskine at least). There is a possibility Orlov is moved to the right even. So Schmidt could be a useful 3LD next season even if Caps will acquire GEE (Giordano/Edler/Ehrhoff/etc).

Or first callup at minimum. One more season in the A will not ruin him definately.

If we are to acquire top-4 LD and keep Orlov on the left with Hillen #7... Maybe Schmidt should be traded for RD or smth. But I wouldn't.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My positives heading into next year:

Wilson
Kuzy
And I am interested in seeing how Schmidt develops.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Positives (Mostly due to youth and future of the team):

Wilson
Kuzya
Orlov
Brown
Latta
Grubs
Ward
Chimera

Negatives:

Ted
GMGM
Oates
Dick Patrick
Green
Gormley (Please I can't handle another year)

I still support Holtby and believe he will rebound. Big changes need to happen at the top down, otherwise next season will be a repeat of this season. I want to see the Caps take a direction like Columbus. Hire an enthusiastic President and General Manager with clear goals and effective communication. Hopefully this embarrassing year will motivate Ted to clean house and retool for next year. I do not expect a top defenseman like Weber, but I do expect competency at the position. Patrick Roy, Jacques Plante, or Martin Brodeur would struggle with the defensive corps we've seen in the GMGM era.

For some reason I have this fear McGuire will become the next GM :help:.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
My positives heading into next year:

Wilson
Kuzy
And I am interested in seeing how Schmidt develops.

I believe Schmidt will become a good defenseman, however he might need more time in Hershey. I liked his college game and he has the speed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I believe Schmidt will become a good defenseman, however he might need more time in Hershey. I liked his college game and he has the speed.

I do too.

But we do have alot of young guys on D. Carlzner and Orlov are 3 future mainstays for sure and are all young.

Carrick looks to be an NHLer and Wey perhaps too. Bowey seems like a stud and he's on the rise.

I think we need to add a vet or two so we may get back logged (which is a good problem to have)

There not enough room for all of them and Carrick, Bowey and Schmidt all seem like the same mold of dman (puck mover). I can only see room for 1 of them. Maybe 2 but thats stretching it.

Again ...good problem to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I do too.

But we do have alot of young guys on D. Carlzner and Orlov are 3 future mainstays for sure and are all young.

Carrick looks to be an NHLer and Wey perhaps too. Bowey seems like a stud and he's on the rise.

I think we need to add a vet or two so we may get back logged (which is a good problem to have)

There not enough room for all of them and Carrick, Bowey and Schmidt all seem like the same mold of dman (puck mover). I can only see room for 1 of them. Maybe 2 but thats stretching it.

Again ...good problem to have.

Difference is Carrick, Wey, and Bowey are all probably a few years out. Bringing in a top 4 guy for 3 or 4 years shouldn't hurt them too badly. It might just slow down 1 of them getting to the bigs.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Yea...Gormley's gotta go. He's a non-stop Keith Brooking pep talk. If you don't know what I'm talking about, head over to youtube.

You'd get more life out of a corpse than Gormley.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Gormley may not be great but I really like the rest of the crew. Joe B and Craig are fine.

Smokin' Al has been there forever and is a staple. Alan May is my favorite and Rob Carlin has done a solid job replacing Russ Thaler.

Not sure about Brent Johnson. Seems like a project. In time he'll be a good addition if he sticks with it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
May would be as good as Calle! Not saying much but still.

He says all the right things, you need to get pucks to the net, take the body over and over, and I think that would be as effective as anything our current coaches preach.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I'd like May to star as Spock in the next Star Trek movie.

Lulz.

cat-yogurt-eating-fail.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad